What are you towing with yours ????

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Nothing special... just a 4x8 harbor freight util:

8J6Zj.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Day I picked it up, lightly used 7x14 Holmes, 6'10 commercial width.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG1729.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG1729.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,050

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
kenmyfam said:
So here we are. Time to show everyone what you drag behind you with your Trailblazer / Envoy.
Here's what we got.

Sweet TT! What does she weigh?

That's something I want to get into with the kids getting old enough now.

Kenny..didnt show the pics in the reply.

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
gmcman said:
Sweet TT! What does she weigh?

That's something I want to get into with the kids getting old enough now.

Kenny..didnt show the pics in the reply.

"She" is a 26ft K-Z Spree of 2006 vintage. Model # 260RBS, rear full width bathroom and a 12ft slide out. Weighs in at 4,200lb. Aluminum frame that keeps the weight down. With ourselves and our gear we are towing around the 5,000lb mark. If you are going to get into this I suggest a big additional tranny cooler and a decent adjustable brake controller. Weight distributing hitch is also a must in my opinion. I also stay out of overdrive when towing and cruise at 100 kmh (60 mph) Get around 10 mpg with the travel trailer in tow.
Any other questions let me know.
And just for the record, our children (5 of them) started camping before they were 6 months old so it's never too early to start.:cool:
Good luck with the travel trailer hunt. :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just a little trailer...

2011-10-23_17-10-39_350.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got a 6 inch drop but even it is not quite enough for all our trailers. I do need to invest some and get something with a deep drop and perferably adjustable.

gmctodd

Jan 8, 2012
This was with the 06 we had leased. Turned that in for an 08 with 3.73 and the G80:thumbsup: Looks like I need to get the camera out!

View attachment 17819
07 Crownline 200LS weighs about 5200 loaded

Attachments

• towrig2.JPG
    towrig2.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 939
Reactions: Moneymaker

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I got a 6 inch drop but even it is not quite enough for all our trailers. I do need to invest some and get something with a deep drop and perferably adjustable.

Maybe mike could weld you up a 12" drop hitch!

gmctodd

Jan 8, 2012
Will have to wait till spring for towing shots. Everything is in storage for winter.

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
Here's my homemade snowmobile trailer with a 12 inch drop hitch I had to make.
I'm dieing to upgrade gears since I only have 3.42's even though she gets the job done.

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Kuchar09 said:
Here's my homemade snowmobile trailer with a 12 inch drop hitch I had to make.
I'm dieing to upgrade gears since I only have 3.42's even though she gets the job done.

Nice looking outfit. Looks good and level with that drop you made. Don't think I would worry too much about the 3.42 ratio unless you were going to be towing near the weight capacity. How much are you pulling there ???

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
kenmyfam said:
Nice looking outfit. Looks good and level with that drop you made. Don't think I would worry too much about the 3.42 ratio unless you were going to be towing near the weight capacity. How much are you pulling there ???

With his weight, tires and lift...3.42 are not great without towing any weight.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Hopefully ill have my true bass boat after I get my schooling done but for now this is my bass killer never let's me down.
IMAG0037.jpg

Trailshaman

Dec 7, 2011
Here is my 18 foot 82 O'Day Daysailer. ive got the truck all loaded down for fun weekend at the lake!
View attachment 17896

Attachments

• photo15.jpg
    photo15.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 68

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
kenmyfam said:

Thanks it was perfectly level until I had to put a bigger axle and tires on the trailer, but doesn't bother me at all. Not really sure but I'd prolly say 2,000 - 3,000 lbs with both sleds... HARDTRAILZ's is right though my truck sucks on the expressway going up hills without a trailer, but as long as I pull in 3rd its not bad at all.
I'v been pulling this back and forth to college this semester for a total of about 3,000 miles and haven't had any problems besides blowing tires on the trailer. I put a trans cooler on last year so I rarely see temps over 150, but the cold weather proly plays a part in that.

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Kuchar09 said:
Thanks it was perfectly level until I had to put a bigger axle and tires on the trailer, but doesn't bother me at all. Not really sure but I'd prolly say 2,000 - 3,000 lbs with both sleds... HARDTRAILZ's is right though my truck sucks on the expressway going up hills without a trailer, but as long as I pull in 3rd its not bad at all.
I'v been pulling this back and forth to college this semester for a total of about 3,000 miles and haven't had any problems besides blowing tires on the trailer. I put a trans cooler on last year so I rarely see temps over 150, but the cold weather proly plays a part in that.

Yep, had a re-think on the way to work about my response and have to agree. Tranny cooler is a great investment in my opinion. Put one on mine as soon as I got it and not even a hint of getting too warm even when towing the travel trailer (post #1 in this thread) Always use 3rd though and not overdrive.

wootown22

Dec 4, 2011
Aluminum horse trailer. Needs a drop hitch to ride right haha this is from last summer, before I put in the additional spacer in the rear.

WP_000303.jpg

Spong

Dec 12, 2011
Mostly my 5x12 utility trailer that I use to haul just about everything with.

DSC07835-vi.jpg

DSC05828-vi.jpg

DSC06038-vi.jpg

downsize54-vi.jpg

Bought a new 18' flatbed last fall so I could haul my tractors

Tractor007-vi.jpg

Tractor003-vi.jpg

MFgarage-vi.jpg

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Nice trailers spong! Does the 5x12 have a dump feature? Alot of mulch, are you a part time landscaper?

I've towed a U-Haul transport w/ a 01' Kia Sportage. But we own a 5x8 98' Carry-All lowes trailer. Use it for farm work, tow large round hay with her (that is what happened to the TB hatch:duh:). Hope to upgrade to a 7x16 gatormade sometime is year.

Spong

Dec 12, 2011
Porkins said:
Nice trailers spong! Does the 5x12 have a dump feature? Alot of mulch, are you a part time landscaper?

Thanks. No, the 5x12 doesn't dump. It just has the rampgate which can be left upright or lays down flat inside the bed for transport. There are also slots at the rear where you can put boards. I cut some boards and made a tailgate which can be left in place with the rampgate up so stuff like rock or mulch can't fall out.

Nope, not a landscaper, just have my own projects. We built a new house in 2011 and now I have tons of work to do!

Here's a pic with the rampgate off and the boards on.

DSC05984-vi.jpg

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

I pull a popup camper that has the little tiny tires on it, so it rides way too low for the hitch on even a standard height TB. Picked up a drop hitch at harbor freight for like 20 bucks. It is fully adjustable and goes from 10" rise to 11" drop. Its 49.99 right now according to their site, but they usually have coupons and their stuff goes on sale all the time. Check it out.

8-in-1 Adjustable Ball Mount Hitch

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011

Attachments

• DSCN0352.JPG
    DSCN0352.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 474

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks SBUBandit!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Trailmanor 3023 (hard-sided fold-down) base camp for offroading on the rare times I can set up a base camp near pavement.

bald1.jpg

One reason I have a 2" receiver in my bumper is to be able to push it up my steep, curved driveway to spot it into its storage spot next to the garage.

nose1.jpg

nose2.jpg

nose3.jpg

nose4.jpg

Reactions: Mektek

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Spong said:
Damn Roadie, that driveway is a nightmare!! Backing a trailer up it wouldn't be much fun!
Did it a few times, because towing it up forwards, unhitching, then spinning the trailer 180 degrees and pushing the trailer back into position requires two strong backs or a powered gadget I'm too frugal to buy. Oh, and I'm on a shared driveway about 2/10 of a mile long with some curves that I have to back into from the street to even get the the end of the driveway? Darn hillside neighborhoods. :wink:

driveway.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Spong said:
Damn Roadie, that driveway is a nightmare!! Backing a trailer up it wouldn't be much fun!

I bought an adjustable hitch this last fall because I needed the 2 5/16" ball for my flatbed.

Here's a link: Channel Style Adjustable Ballmount - 2" & 2-5/16" Balls - 14,000 lbs Curt Ball Mounts C45900 It's rated for way more than my TB can tow but in the future I want to get something larger so the hitch will still work.

Bought my dad one of these for his Super-Duty. Nice solid piece. 3-BALL ADJUSTABLE DROP-TURN TRAILER TOW 2" HITCH MOUNT | eBay
Tough to beat the price with shipping included.

Spong

Dec 12, 2011
the roadie said:
Did it a few times, because towing it up forwards, unhitching, then spinning the trailer 180 degrees and pushing the trailer back into position requires two strong backs or a powered gadget I'm too frugal to buy. Oh, and I'm on a shared driveway about 2/10 of a mile long with some curves that I have to back into from the street to even get the the end of the driveway? Darn hillside neighborhoods. :wink:

driveway.jpg

Good God man!!! :eek::eek:

I know CA has nice weather, beaches etc but I just couldn't live like that stacked on top of my neighbors!!

I love my 43'x72' driveway that I can drive into, with a trailer attached, turn around and drive out!! Weather sucks though! :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.