What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@Blckshdw since you have access to be able to see how all the joists run and there spacing why not go with pot lights aka high hats aka recessed lighting. I saw some dimmable led kits at home depot that I believe are reasonable. You can probably get away with doing 2 rows with 3 or 4 lights in each. Wiring would be pretty simple as well since you can just jump over from joist to joist. Unless of course your local electrical code says you have to go through the joist.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Working for a bit. Nice weather says I should give the vehicles some internal cleaning later and maybe fresh oil in the truck

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Had to reschedule the alignment for this morning so I'll be heading out shortly to get that done. Then I'll probably get all the salt and road grime washed off of it. Have to make a short run over to the ups store for an Amazon return. Not much going on after that so I'll head over to harbor frieght and stroll through there aisles and check out the deals/sales.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
After dragging Mrs. Moose through Harbor Freight and the liquor store yesterday, it's my turn to get dragged through knick knack shops today :frown:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Or just get a regular switch for now...

Ultimately, that light wasn't going to give me what I wanted, or sticking the old manual switch would have been a temporary fix until I found a motion sensing switch that would work with it. Besides, you've seen my overly complicated and drawn out mod posts, you know regular ain't gonna cut it! :laugh:

@Blckshdw since you have access to be able to see how all the joists run and there spacing why not go with pot lights aka high hats aka recessed lighting. I saw some dimmable led kits at home depot that I believe are reasonable. You can probably get away with doing 2 rows with 3 or 4 lights in each. Wiring would be pretty simple as well since you can just jump over from joist to joist. Unless of course your local electrical code says you have to go through the joist.

I did stroll through the lighting section when I was in there yesterday and saw something that caught my eye. The info cards on some of them said "standard dimmable" or not dimmable. I didn't know what this "standard" meant, like if a simple slider switch would do it, compared to the 0-10V ones or what. Naturally the one time I needed someone that worked there, so I could ask them, no one was around to be found :hopeless:

Surfed their site this morning and came across some good info. A few of their Hampton Bay models say they're dimmable and noted a list of known working dimmers. Looking at the spec sheet, it lists the model # of the switch I currently have as being compatible, so looks like my assumption is correct, and what I'm wanting to do is possible.

This is probably a sign though. Take the money from the light refund, and redirect it towards the new battery I need for the EXT :undecided:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Just at work again. Volunteered for night shift over the Christmas stretch. Not as uneventful as some have been but still much better than other times.

During the days I have been taking the kids out sledding. Today we ventured further, did some loops in the quarter section where our yard site is. Found all sorts of signs from the wildlife. Signs of where owls were scooping mice, fox, coyote, rabbit and deer tracks as well. Kids loved it and was nice to see the country side.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yesterday I did not get work on the closet done, but I did replace the missing shingle on the garage roof. I also found a number of loose shingles that weren't stuck together anymore so I cemented them down. Almost seems like the guy who lived here prior got his hands on surplus used shingles or something given how many of the looser ones had old nail holes in them. That, or he sucked at nailing down shingles when he did it...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very little today after a gruelling 12hr drive from Long Island last night through rain, sleet and freezing rain. The TB performed flawlessly. NY State sure uses a lot of salt! The weather isn't any better today so better to just hunker down. Might fix the shelf in the fridge.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In the cube farm. was gonna take a day off, but the lil one has strep so i decided it was safer to stay away

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Not today, but on Sunday, took the wife out for a wintry drive into the mountains.

Was a fun drive, traffic was moving OK, just a few idiots out there afraid to get in the slow lane where they belonged.

On the way home, helped a GMC Yukon that decided he needed to bounce his truck off the canyon wall. I had to convince him that he needed a tow truck, has he had ripped the passenger control arm off the axle. Then he wanted to call the police, and I advised him against it as his TEMP plates were clearly out. No need to make a already bad situation worse by getting a ticket.

76531873_10217935455792069_6510543269611438080_n.jpg
Continental Devide.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have to finish fixing the fridge. The JB Weld partly didn't work so I have to get a metal corner brace piece. It will be unsightly but will be usable again. If that particular part was still available from Samsung, I would have bought it.

Then I have to fix the snowblower on the lawn tractor. It ingested a piece of rubber and broke the shear pin on the impeller. The rubber is also really wedged in there too. Wife also wants to go to Costco for supplies :yikes:.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Today was supposed to be a lazy day of doing nothing, but that wasn't the case. Cleared a bunch of crap out of the garage. A number of items were stacked up along the side where the EXT is parked, that didn't really need to be there. Boxes of air filters (freebies that came with the solar array) , couple boxes of floor tiles, quickcrete, grout, Envoy Denali running boards, and some other random things, right along side the doors. Took a bunch of that stuff to the shed out back, freeing up a ton of room. Doors can now be opened fully with room to spare, considering moving my parking block over a few inches as a result. Got that area swept out, so that's clean again.

The garage door to the kitchen has slipped out of alignment and started sticking 2 days ago. Tried adjusting the top hinge since the gap was noticeable there, and while I got it to move some, it's not solving my issue like I'd like. May take the hinge pieces off completely, put them in the vice and get more aggressive with them. :undecided:

Noticed a couple of small holes in some of the screens on the back patio. Put some clear tape on both sides to seal those up for now. Hopefully that helps with the issue of mosquitoes getting into the house when I have the back slider open after sundown. Also got a cheap 2 in 1 bug zapper light bulb for the patio light. Turn it on once, you get the bug zapper and regular light. Turn it off and back on, bug zapper only. Was only $7 so figured I'd try it. No hits so far, but also haven't seen anything fly in front of the TV or ceiling light :thumbsup:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Also got a cheap 2 in 1 bug zapper light bulb for the patio light. Turn it on once, you get the bug zapper and regular light. Turn it off and back on, bug zapper only. Was only $7 so figured I'd try it. No hits so far, but also haven't seen anything fly in front of the TV or ceiling light :thumbsup:
Had a zapper myself, I don't know if they cut down on the mosquito population but, there were things being fried constantly at night so some of them must have been mosquitoes :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Might finish up fixing the old sled and put it up for sale. Then we're going to my mom's for dinner.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Spent time out at farm with kiddo's. Roasted some chicken. Cleaned up some boots and now watching a movie to relax.

The big debate...go to work tomorrow or stay home n enjoy?

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Took the Silverado out to try and prep it for a smog check.

Reactions: Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Back to work. Wooooo

Reactions: smt 59

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Shaking my head. People are amazing in both positive and negatives.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Cleaning up the garage, double checking I put tools away after the front end work. I had to adjust the toe out on the passenger side to make the truck drive well enough to take it the ten miles to get an alignment tomorrow. It doesn't drift or pull but it's not close to right either, despite the extra time I spent trying to get the LCA bracket in the same position as the original. 🙄

I can definitely say that with just under 130k miles all the components were needed. Bushings had play, ball joints were loose, and the rust belt worked its usual magic.
20200102_124353.jpg

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Going to get a license plate and then heading to the junkyard. I found one near me that has an 06 and an 07 9-7x. They're not the same color as mine, that would have been nice. In search of the rear bumper reinforcement and bumper cover off of one of those. Then a bunch of odds and ends from the interior.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wrote a check for 700,081.96 on 5 new company trucks.. OUCH!

I still have to write a check for their taxes and license plates. I figure thats going to be another 150,000 or so.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
I just got home from a junkyard the 30 minutes away from my house, they're cheaper than us auto. I sit down, check Facebook, and the junkyard that's 5 minutes from my house (us auto) posted a pic of my exact 2007 9-7x l, that they just got in today!

Getting up early tomorrow to go pull the rear bumper and hopefully those rims!

Screenshot_20200103-175821.png

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Got the rims but, the bumper has a little damage. I'm going back to get it and see if I can heat it up and get it close to normal.

Almost anything is better than what the current bumper cover looks like.

IMG_20200104_080439.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Internet Crashed this morning for the 5th time in the last 24 Hours. I ventured out at 10:00 AM, cut off and replaced the Old Cable Connectors inside and out, then hooked the Modem back up. Nothing. Crickets. But I remembered seeing an awful lot of fine, Aluminum powder falling into my palm from the Old Fitting and realized the insulating- "RF" protective foil inside the cable had failed; dissolving over years of exposure to way too many Florida summers.

Fortunately , I'd recently bought a 500' Spool-Roll of Black "Satellite" Quality CAT-TV 18 AWG Cable and decided right then to rip out everything from where the service enters at the back of the house. THIS Stuff turned out to be The Real Deal for this Repair:

SATCATCABLE.jpgSATCATCABLE1.jpg

I ran the new replacement cable up and over over the flat roof and almost took a Header off the top of the damned ladder. Once back on the ground, I got wise and snipped off a piece of Flat Sil-Fos Brazing Rod, jamming it in between the insulation of the New Black Cable over to the Old White, binding them with Electric Tape. It worked great, keeping them together long enough to 'fish' them both back through the Concrete Block.

Everything was smooth sailing ... until I heard a Thunder Clap coming from the West near the Gulf of Mexico. When I stepped back a bit to get a better look at the sky... I stepped on THIS Damned Roofing Nail just in time for the Storm Line to open up and drench me to the bone:

PROOFOFMURPHYSLAW.jpg

I hobbled back into the house... treated my wound with Iodine and Neosporin, changed my clothes and waited a few minutes to see if the deluge would let up. With an impatient wife nearby as my inspiration, I went back to finish the task sealing up the hole in the outer wall from any invading insects. Not without some more difficulty, I installed (2) New Cable fittings noting that the Satellite 18 AWG Cable makes for a VERY tight fit. Afterwards, The 'Net started right back up FAST and stays on now without interruptions. Internet Problem Solved. Sore foot ... but my Tetanus Shots are up to date. Time for a Cupper. Murphy? GFYS, Man.

Last edited:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Yesterday at my bro's shop. Replaced some 4" exhaust duct for one of his over head heaters. 20200103_121911.jpg
I also had to do some more duct repair on the hot dog.
20200103_121922.jpg
We removed the double bay doors since the whole bullet liner venture fell through.
20200103_141437.jpg
We'll cut and remove the wood door frame at a later date.
20200103_141440.jpg
We stored them up over the steel I beams along with all the hardware.20200103_162341.jpg
Got a peak at how the guys from island custom motor sport do things around the shop and some installs.20200103_162621.jpg
20200103_162631.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wind has the last day of deer hunting turning into a bust, so I fired up the hotspot and doing some internet cruising and lil review work from the cabin while still hoping a deer wanders past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online