What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yesterday scored some good deals. First travelled an hour to get a 4000w generator for $50 I found on FB. It had been sitting outside for a couple of years. Still had compression so took a chance. Brought it home, checked for spark (ok), put some gas in the hole, it fired up and produced electricity for the short while. Carb will need a good cleaning but the worse part is the tank. It's full of rusty schmoo and the petcock broke off in the tank bung. Already ordered another one but cleaning that tank will be a biatch.

Second good deal was a salt cell for the pool chlorinator I found on Kijiji. Mine was 9 years old and was dead. This one was brand new sealed in the box. Dealed down from $400 to $350, which is basically less than half of retail price. No more having to deal with pucks and liquid chlorine this summer! :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, the tank is rusted through so it's junk. Ordered one from eBay for $42USD, shipping it to MyUSAddress for free shipping and will pick it up at some later date. No rush since this generator is meant as a backup at our cottage. I'll be just over $100 in for this generator.

Now going for a snooze before working tonight.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Finished a night shift and had a 4 hour beauty sleep, just picked up my Caprice from storage. Still too tired to go drive it. Later may start fixing the shifter I got for the interior conversion. And Mrs. Moose wants that done this week because she wants nice leather seats for the trip to Montreal next weekend.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
House shopping (frustrating) and just odds n ends. Did a quick vacuuming out of the Silverado's and Civic's interiors last night. Just need to clean the windows, dash, etc but apartment life with naught but a parking lot + rain today = no bueno for much vehicle work.

Will probably run to the store later for some groceries.

Maybe watch a movie with the mrs tonight.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Went and saw the Avengers movie, then dinner with friends, followed by hanging out at some other friends' house for a bit to catch up. Now, home on the couch, itching for something to satisfy my sweet tooth, and watching basketball.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
And today I'm waiting for the Spectrum man to turn up and figure out which coaxial is theirs. I think I'll take the rest of the day off work instead of going in and cut the grass.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Nice day off so I went to the DMV to got my enhanced driver's license.View attachment 88313

Also got a chance to stop by my brothers shop and look at a few things he is working on.View attachment 88314
He extended the color sample display.View attachment 88315

View attachment 88316
This bike is just amazing from every angle.
Alright I'll bite, what is an enhanced license? :undecided:
I financed it, yes. There's a 30% tax credit, that I can get on next year's taxes when I file. And the solar company gave a rebate check to the utility company that's supposed to cover the account fees, taxes and stuff (non electrical usage) for 1 year. The idea was to zero out the electric bill for the first year.

I gave them a couple of abnormally high electric bills, from when my sister was living with me, and she ran lights, fans, and other stuff 24/7 even when she wasn't home :mad: So I knew I'd be producing more than I needed, but at least that gave me some flexibility with how much usage I could use up or give back. I did have the idea of installing attic fans at the north and south gable vents and run those in the summer off thermostats. I don't have to be up there very often, but when I do... :ugh:

They did have battery banks available, and that was something I really wanted to do. But the salesman was cool, and most importantly honest. He said they offered some between $6-13K but not to touch them, as the technology isn't where it needs to be, and probably won't get there for another 5 years. He said at best, with the Tesla Wall, you could run a few circuits in your house (fridge, lights, and some fans) for maybe 6-8 hours and it would be dead. If you're looking to run the whole house, (which is what I would want to do) get a standby generator instead. So that may be an investment down the road for me.
A friend of mine did solar a few years ago. She went through an actually manufacturer to buy it so she go all of the rebates directly to her. The amount of energy she put back in the grid paid off the panels in under 6 years and then when she sold the house the new homeowners signed a waiver that they only pay for what the consume on electric. And surplus check goes directly to her. greIt's great, she gets like 100$ a month from it. I'd imagine you'll like it.

Studying for final number two. I'm off of work since my boss is in Ireland. I have to run to a plant this week though.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Alright I'll bite, what is an enhanced license? :undecided:
Nothing to extravagant about it just lets you drive in and out of border countries like Canada and Mexico with out a passport. We are still going to need a passport to fly out of the country though.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Nothing to extravagant about it just lets you drive in and out of border countries like Canada and Mexico with out a passport. We are still going to need a passport to fly out of the country though.
Gotcha. Jersey calls it something entirely different and that thought didn't even click lol.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Doing that job thing again. Depending on what happens tonight I may be going to the in laws to go through some stuff, or I may upgrade my wife's car's option set, or I may just chill. Not really sure.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
There's a weird vibe in the office today. One person in the department's last day is Wednesday. Another one about to go on maternity leave this week, so we're gonna be short handed for a while. We have a new person sort of training, but it's only been a couple weeks, and only 2 days a week at that. Things are going to be interesting. Boss keeps asking me to be ready for licensing changes and system access modifications, not realizing those are changes that take a few seconds. Bless her heart.

Found out we're also hosting another (annual?) conference with several other FL offices, next month. I'm not being asked to do a presentation on system reporting like last year, cuz it was a waste of time. A bunch of people requested an extra "help" session too, which I was prepared for, set aside the last hour of the day, and everyone bailed to go talk to other departments, sit around on their phones, or socialize. "Fine, I didn't wanna talk to any of y'all any-damn-way!" So I'm not having to do any extra lifting this time around. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine did solar a few years ago. She went through an actually manufacturer to buy it so she go all of the rebates directly to her. The amount of energy she put back in the grid paid off the panels in under 6 years and then when she sold the house the new homeowners signed a waiver that they only pay for what the consume on electric. And surplus check goes directly to her. greIt's great, she gets like 100$ a month from it. I'd imagine you'll like it.

Best case scenario, this is what I'm hoping for, cuz after that point the system will start paying me. Will have to keep the mod bug in check as best I can though.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So I've been doing some real testing commuting to work since the trip is about the same all around. I've done one tank under 70 but above 68. One tank 70-72. One tank 72-74 and then one that was sporadic but pretty much all above 75 and it would seem that 74-77 is the sweet spot for mpgs. Tach says 2000 rpms and I assume that's probably a good balance of power. Car doesn't downshift on hills at all at those speeds either... but it's a full 1 mpg improvement from the first tank so I'm pretty sold. The trend was linear too. Further testing required.

20190506_181517.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Working in the hometown. Then off to change oil in mom's crv and then who knows

Reactions: Matt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sugar overload at work today. Teammate's last day, so we had brownies and games during our weekly team meeting. Then more sweets, assorted cakes, in the break room for other people to say some words at the end of the day.

Weather has been dry, so decided to work off some of that sugar with some yard work. Had noticed a lot of dandelions popping up, so wanted to mow those before they spread even more. Swapped out my old key padlocks on the gates for stainless combo padlocks. Less stuff to carry around when I'm working outside. Mower was starting to act up. The blades wouldn't always engage when lifting the plunger. Or sometimes they'd start to engage, and then disengage after a few seconds. Like either the switch had a loose connection, or the connection to the batteries was loose. Drive system was fine though. Will have to investigate that later.

Been poking around the interwebs for possible candidates for a 2nd vehicle. Not sure where the balance is between cost and risk yet, so the research continues. :book:

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Dreccomel

May 14, 2016
NY
My review mirror broke and the replacement have been sitting on my table for about a month. I had duck-tape holding the mirror 😅. I had to remove the wind-visor (what a pain on my rear, it was so old that it was cracking like an eggshell) and the inside of the door and while I was at it. I replaced the original speaker with a Kenwood speaker with an integrated teeter. Since I have never done it before it took me som3 time because I had to be extremely careful I didn't break anything. I just can wait to replace the rest of the speakers.

Attachments

• 20190508_182218_HDR.jpg
    20190508_182218_HDR.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190508_182227_HDR.jpg
    20190508_182227_HDR.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190508_182238.jpg
    20190508_182238.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 9

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
My review mirror broke and the replacement have been sitting on my table for about a month. I had duck-tape holding the mirror 😅. I had to remove the wind-visor (what a pain on my rear, it was so old that it was cracking like an eggshell) and the inside of the door and while I was at it. I replaced the original speaker with a Kenwood speaker with an integrated teeter. Since I have never done it before it took me som3 time because I had to be extremely careful I didn't break anything. I just can wait to replace the rest of the speakers.

I saw the street signs and just knew that was the Hamilton heights area in NYC.:2thumbsup:

Reactions: Dreccomel

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Replacing broke pvc fitting going to my water softener. And it's only about 4 months old :sadcry: (both the fitting and softener.) I figured I had a problem when I walked through the water puddle when we haven't had any rain in a week. Grateful the leek was outside the house and in a easily accessible area to repair. Ace Hardware bound.

• Sad
Reactions: Blckshdw and Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Working for the man

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Drove thru a mild snow storm to get to work, and working for the guy upstairs (my bosses office is the only office on the second floor).

• Wow
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Finished a night shift this AM, sleep, breakfast and now heading out to pick up my eldest son, who is still recovering from knee surgery. He's bored sh!tless by himself so he'll spend a few days with us.

Reactions: Matt

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Does anyone know who this is? It’s an ext with the same wheels I have. What are the odds? 47D382F4-7FAA-4C70-9F3F-36FF62D34853.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Heading down to Ogdensburg to pick up some parcels and do a bit of shopping. Taking the Caprice to fill up on cheap US gas.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Just getting to work, wish it was going to be a slow day, but gotta go down to the DMV and spend another 16000 on plates and registration. YAY! Glad its not my money!

Then I gotta call another prospective new hire Owner Operator Contractor and see if he wants the job.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Doing that work thing. Had donuts. Felt like I was going to fall asleep at my desk waiting for our system to pull up...

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Replaced (possibly) ~40 year old hydraulic/trans fluid and filter in the tractor. Way over due and actually had about two gallons of water in the bottom not counting what was suspended in the chocolate milk. Also was nearly double filled? Probably the water in the fluid. Holds 8.6gal but every container in picture is full so.. Filter surprisingly had no metal on it.

Screenshot_2019-05-14-11-48-05-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online