What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well started with sleeping after a night shift, then around 9, my eldest son called me he was at the hospital after slipping in his bathroom and busted his knee. I was too out of it so my wife went to pick him up and brought him here. Because tomorrow he has to go back for more x-rays and MRI. I was supposed to work tonight but cancelled that. He's a big boy and my wife had a hard time helping him.

And in between that, the guy I'm getting the G8 parts from let me know that a main part I need, the shifter, is broken. So searching for a shifter now 😟

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Waiting at the hurtspital with my son for x-rays and follow-up for his busted knee. Our ticket number is u-8 (say it out loud). No I'm not kidding!

• Haha
Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Relaxing for a bit, before meeting up with some friends to caravan over to Orlando for an early group birthday dinner at one of the Disney resorts. (yeah, we fancy!) Then we'll head back in time to watch the UFC fights this evening.

Will have to fuel up the EXT since I volunteered to drive this time. I'm sure the extra 800 lbs will do wonders for the MPGs :hahano:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Looks like my oldest brother and his family are paying us a visit later this week. Whats nice is that the range is 2 miles from my place. Even though the ticks are out in force already (still some snow on the ground) I have stacks of ammo that need to be evenly distributed between various targets.

Speaking of night shifts.... the other day I was catching an afternoon nap after one, my wife calls. I cant remember what she was even asking me, I remember wandering the house, putting some dishes away and then her telling me she will call me later because I was out of it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Went and looked at the house renovation progress. Looking good. Still more to be done and hoping he doesn't make some screwball decisions on anything but it is in assembly phase. Hoping maybe 2 ish months?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sitting here debating on buying a Saab 2008 9-7x Aero for 7000, or a 2006 Saab 9-7x Arc 5.3 for 800 that doesn't run.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Aero also has 185k miles, Arc has 85...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
85k and doesn't run? The heck did they do to it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd be questioning that too. Could be a fuse or a blown motor. Get the Aero already!

Reactions: smt 59

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Since it was nice and cloudy this morning, got up and mowed the weeds, raked up a bunch of dead leaves that piled up against the fence, watered and turned the compost pile. Got cleaned up, and laundry running. About to settle in and watch some TV for a bit before heading out on a grocery run.

And trying not to think of how bad the stealership is gonna try to screw me on fixing my transmission. On a few occasions, I had thought about cancelling my OnStar subscription, cuz I never needed it... But I sure am glad I had it yesterday. Being broke down that far from home, plus having passengers on board made it a lot less fun than expected. :ugh:

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Washed and waxed the truck. Drove it. Put in its first tank of fuel. Went out to red lobster withi the parents and they also bought me one of those meat grinders for my birthday. Overall a pretty good day. Now to go to sleep so I can work extra hours tomorrow because truck payment. :rotfl:

Reactions: Eric04 and Matt

brianlibby791

Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Washed and waxed the truck. Drove it. Put in its first tank of fuel. Went out to red lobster withi the parents and they also bought me one of those meat grinders for my birthday. Overall a pretty good day. Now to go to sleep so I can work extra hours tomorrow because truck payment. :rotfl:
That meat grinder has been in my garage for almost a week:rotfl: Happy birthday again!

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And trying not to think of how bad the stealership is gonna try to screw me on fixing my transmission.

Hopefully they won't kidnap you, steal your money and force you to smoke crack. Why not just take it to a tranny shop?

Whore's day for me today.

kott0n

Apr 8, 2019
WA
Changed the oil. The oil filter is tiny compared to my 2008 5.7l Hemi. My oil filter wrench wouldnt even fit it. I had to put a screw driver through the filter to get some leverage. I'll try to find an appropriate wrench. This is what I need to buy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1CCBQ/?tag=gmtnation-20

Unplugged the encoder motor on the transfercase as it has 1 mismatched tire on the rear that is causing the AWD to engage. It threw a light on the dash but no codes.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hopefully they won't kidnap you, steal your money and force you to smoke crack.

Well, this IS Florida, so who knows...

Why not just take it to a tranny shop?

Roadside only gave me up to a 25 mile tow, and I'm not familiar with that area outside of the highway. It's still 60 miles away from home. :ugh: Dealership called me this morning just before 7am to get the scoop on what happened. Took a look and said they found metal in the pan, and that caused failure of the clutch packs. :mad:

There has been a sporadic noise, haven't been able to track it down, that I only hear clearly when I start the engine in the garage with the windows down. I was thinking maybe the water pump, but it didn't quite sound like the rocks in a coffee can sound, that I hear people talk about. More raspy sounding... When mom was here, she asked me "what's that grinding sound?" which alarmed me, but I didn't hear anything different, and the truck drove fine. So now I'm wondering, if that noise was the transmission, and not one of the engine accessories like I suspected. I'll know for sure if that noise is gone when I get it back. $3000 for a new transmission, with a 3 year, 100K mile warranty, and I'll have it back Wednesday. Parents asked if I would trade the EXT in for something newer. Nah, it's only got 121K miles on it. My previous 2 vehicles were both well north of 220K when I got rid of them. Plus there's another thing... :biggrin:

Besides work, the other thing I was doing today, was travelling cross county to a junk yard to pick up some goodies. It's been several years of hunting, but finally managed to find a set of Envoy Denali XL running boards locally, that weren't destroyed by a rollover. So hopped in the Kia Rio I'm renting, laid all the seats down, and some towels over them to go get them. This car is more roomy than it looks, and not bad to drive either. Wasn't a quick trip like I planned, they pulled the running boards for me, but didn't pull the rocker panels to go with them. They had a guy drive me back in the lot, and we were able to get them off fairly easily. They didn't charge me for them, so that was nice. Piled everything in the car, and headed back.

20190415_113300.jpg20190415_105647.jpg

Got back home, with about an hour until I had to be at work, and gave things a better look. I'm missing one of the front brackets on one of the boards. I'll just steal one from my OEM boards, I also have the bolts and nuts, so I'm covered there. On the rocker panels, only 1 issue, a crack on the rear driver's side piece, by the back door. Since I'll have to paint these anyway, I may experiment with fiberglassing, and see if I can fix it? Leaving it alone is also an option since it's so small, it wouldn't get noticed.

20190415_114000.jpg20190415_114016.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm @ work
Got back home, with about an hour until I had to be at work, and gave things a better look. I'm missing one of the front brackets on one of the boards. I'll just steal one from my OEM boards, I also have the bolts and nuts, so I'm covered there. On the rocker panels, only 1 issue, a crack on the rear driver's side piece, by the back door. Since I'll have to paint these anyway, I may experiment with fiberglassing, and see if I can fix it? Leaving it alone is also an option since it's so small, it wouldn't get noticed.

The crack can be easily fixed with some fiberglass and resin. You should start a thread on this mod. Add in some led puddle lights like I plan to and those things will look bad a** on your truck. If you got the time you can do the paint yourself and save you some serious cash. Since you've got a compressor and garage to do the work in. Automotivetouchup is the way to go for the paint and everything you may need for this.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The crack can be easily fixed with some fiberglass and resin. You should start a thread on this mod. Add in some led puddle lights like I plan to and those things will look bad a** on your truck. If you got the time you can do the paint yourself and save you some serious cash. Since you've got a compressor and garage to do the work in. Automotivetouchup is the way to go for the paint and everything you may need for this.

Yeah, I planned on doing the paint myself. Had been looking at HVLP guns earlier in the year. I've bought from ATU in the past when I painted my grille, crossbar, and side mirrors. Definitely plan to go with them again. Since removing my billet grille, I have some serious wear marks that rubbed the paint off. So that would get resprayed too. :yes:

Puddle lights could be cool. I already have wiring under the scuff plates for those blue LEDs, so tapping into those lines would be easy enough. I have to be careful though, you've seen how long my projector retrofits take, this one will probably be as slow moving as those I'm sure. :stars:

Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Yeah, I planned on doing the paint myself. Had been looking at HVLP guns earlier in the year. I've bought from ATU in the past when I painted my grille, crossbar, and side mirrors. Definitely plan to go with them again. Since removing my billet grille, I have some serious wear marks that rubbed the paint off. So that would get resprayed too. :yes:

Puddle lights could be cool. I already have wiring under the scuff plates for those blue LEDs, so tapping into those lines would be easy enough. I have to be careful though, you've seen how long my projector retrofits take, this one will probably be as slow moving as those I'm sure. :stars:

👍

I get it man, I've been sitting on my puddle lights for the Denali running boards for over 6 months. I haven't even really looked if they will work or not where I want them.

Side note: once you have them apart and have the time to really clean the step pad, rustoleum sells a bumper back to black that works extremely well. Lasted a good 1yr 1/2 on mine till I just cleaned and reapplied 2 weeks ago. It was my fault that it didn't last longer. I kinda let cutting compound and paint polish sit on it to long and faded it. It was a lazy costly move.

Reactions: Blckshdw

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Working for the man today

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Coring plugs...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Enjoyed sleeping in, wish I could always work half days. I guess THIS is what semi retirement feels like? :undecided:

What am I doing today? Well, I'm logging in here for the 1st time in 8 months. I've been off grid for awhile. :Zzzz:

Welcome back! :tiphat:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Drove 361km, 3.5 hours and back to a pick-a-part near Oshawa to get a shifter from a G8 for the Caprice that I will eventually be installing a center console from another G8 that I am picking up tomorrow on another 3 hour x 2 drive. Also picked up from that G8 a microphone for the console for the hands-free, a parking brake cable adjuster and trunk button. The shifter works but has a missing connector and maybe other stuff.

While there, I looked in the truck section, found a rad cover trim piece from a Bravada. It has a crack but who cares! Also found some roof rack cross bars since mine didn't come with them, and then the caliper brackets from an 06 TB EXT (the one year unicorn), which will allow me to do the big brake mod with the iron calipers. The rusty bolts put up a fight though and had to hammer a 17mm socket on them.

Long drive but well worth it!

Attachments

• IMG_20190416_190033.jpg
    IMG_20190416_190033.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 11

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In the cube farm with a hurry hurry rush rush assignment

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As said yesterday, today was another 720km drive to pick up parts for the Caprice. Decided to borrow my son's Silvy as I remembered that I was also bringing the carpet. Good thing I did because it was soaked and stank so it will need a good cleaning. I was also able to grab the shifter. It wasn't really broken, it was just stuck because the bolts spun in the plastic frame on top. I got a grab with my locking pliers and we were able to remove two nuts. The rear two stripped so I broke the plastic. between this one and the other I got yesterday, I should be able to put together a working unit.

The drive was fine getting there, however, driving back was a b!tch! You haven't experienced rush hour traffic gridlock until you've driven in Montreal! :mad: After racking up 1500km in two days, I've had enough.

Oh, and today, the wife's CR-V decides to puke its VTEC solenoid, won't rev past 2500 rpm :mad:IMG_20190417_190117.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The drive was fine getting there, however, driving back was a b!tch! You haven't experienced rush hour traffic gridlock until you've driven in Montreal! :mad: After racking up 1500km in two days, I've had enough.

At least you can swear in Canadian French. All I can say is 'merde', and that wouldn't even get me a sideways glance.
Seriously, though...that's a lot of miles...er...km... in a short time. But it was for something good!

Oh, and today, the wife's CR-V decides to puke its VTEC solenoid, won't rev past 2500 rpm :mad:

She must drive like you, if she needs more than 2500rpm in that thing. Unless she's stuck in the snow / mud :laugh:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Quebecers actually don't use "merde", that one is Parisian French. We say "marde" but it's just like saying "shit", not really a swear, just an expletive.

And yes, I was swearing a lot! Funny thing is that our French swears are all against the Catholic Church. If you want to hear some in song (all the words are swears):

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Quebecers actually don't use "merde", that one is Parisian French. We say "marde" but it's just like saying "shit", not really a swear, just an expletive.

And yes, I was swearing a lot! Funny thing is that our French swears are all against the Catholic Church. If you want to hear some in song (all the words are swears):

Liturgical Profanity...It figures! At first, I looked for a literal translation...and in the US, one would shake their head in disbelief... 'chalice', 'sacrament', 'tabernacle'.... *those* are considered profane? Criss! LOL
Although, I *did* think torrieu was a little far...but that's considered a 'minor' sacre :confused:

It's when you get to the combos that things start getting interesting, from our standpoint...such as...
"Mon crisse de char est brisé, tabarnak de câlisse " (popular among GMT360 owners, I'm sure)
And last night, I could have been quoted as saying:
"J'm'en calice des politiciens de Alberta"

(for our non-Canadian French speaking members who are wondering how I became so
compétent (proficient) so quickly...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

And after reading through it, I was reminded of what happened at Cannes, one year -- there was a French Canadian film being exhibited, and the (euro) French delegation demanded that subtitles be added.
The Canadians were aghast. "What do you mean? It's in French!"
To which the French replied... "You can call that whatever you want, but we want subtitles added, so we can understand it!"

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, we have a very colourful language! And for even more:

You'll notice there that we "borrow" a lot of English words.

And don't get me going on France French. They borrow English words just as much as we do.
Where we would say:
"Je vais faire du magasinage en fin de semaine"
They would say:
"Je vais faire du shopping ce weekend"

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Working two jobs but off tomorrow!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Came to work for the morning, instead of the afternoon like I had been doing. Thankfully, the house guests stayed quiet so I didn't get woken up last night.

Called the stealership to check on the EXT, since it was supposed to be ready yesterday afternoon, but they never called. Tech is doing the test drive now, so at lunch time I'll return the rental to the airport. Buddy of mine is gonna pick me up and drive me 62 miles out there to pick it up. Really thankful for good friends. :grouphug:

The timing should allow us to both get back home before afternoon rush hour starts clogging up the choke points around town. :thumbsup:

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
Stuck in a hotel for a few days, at least there is a Mecum Auction on
Yes, we have a very colourful language! And for even more:

You'll notice there that we "borrow" a lot of English words.

And don't get me going on France French. They borrow English words just as much as we do.
Where we would say:
"Je vais faire du magasinage en fin de semaine"
They would say:
"Je vais faire du shopping ce weekend"

3 years of high school french and all i can do is order a ham and cheese sandwich.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Celebrated Easter at church and then ate a bunch of food afterwards for our Easter Pot luck dinner :smile:
After arriving back home this injured hawk was on the bumper...

with a broke wing :sadcry:
we called spca and they forward us the info for a bird sanctuary who helps injured birds. A friendly gal came out and "caught" the hawk and took him to help him get fixed up :smile:

Attachments

• Hawk_On_TB_1.JPG
    Hawk_On_TB_1.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Hawk_On_TB_2.JPG
    Hawk_On_TB_2.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Hawk_On_TB_3.JPG
    Hawk_On_TB_3.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Hawk_On_TB_4.JPG
    Hawk_On_TB_4.JPG