What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Spent Monday and Tuesday up training. Drove up to Crimetown for that. Today was first of 2 days off so I rotated Big Blue's tires, inspected the brakes and broke the bleeders free to keep them from seizing in, check the color of fluid and see if any air bubbles come out. Brakes were mint! The pads and rotors are in excellent shape, which is a biproduct of using the exhaust brake extensively. You can also see the large amount of space Ram gives a guy to get at the oil filter. Hence why this guy rips out the intake ducting to access it from the top.

front brakes.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
teleworking

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Trying to stay awake at work

Reactions: BrianF

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Dad gave me an old Homelite ST-2XX weed wacker he found when cleaning out his dad's shop and said "you can have it if you can get it running". The fuel lines were completely rotted away, primer bulb was gone, and it was filthy.

After replacing the bulb and lines, I spent the better part of 2 hours trying to figure out why the bulb wouldn't fill. Turns out when re-assembling the carb, I rotated the piece between the diaphragm and bulb 180° so just one of the 3 little passage ways didn't line up. Duh! :duh:

It's alive now! It runs on some old mixed gas, so it should be just fine once I put fresh in.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
After attending a memorial service for my MIL at the long term care home where she was, installed a new water softener. The old one was fine but we have a lot of iron here turning everything orange so I got one that has an iron filter. Of course, after the local hardware store closed, found one of my solder joints was leaking and I didn't have an extra fitting :mad: so I had to travel an extra 20 min. to Home Despot.

While there, I saw a nice Milwaukee tool chest set on clearance for $750. I need a bigger one and my son, whose starting in heavy diesel repair, also needs one. Could put them on my card for 18 months no interest :undecided:

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Bottomed out a few times and grenaded a cv shaft, but she handled like a champ.
F7DE54DA-0BFF-4ADC-96C6-DC51BBEFF8D2.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Went to look at a garage that someone wants to sell and have moved. It's a 20x24, perfect size that is allowed for my lot. Good condition, well built, may need new siding as some is cracking and is an ugly beige, asking $6000. Was able to deal down to $5000 but there's a catch, he needs this done by the end of April as he wants to built a large double.
So tomorrow I have to make calls, get estimates for the move (it's about 100km away) and the the foundation slab here that I want with 2 foot high walls so I can have at least 10 foot high walls. And there's also the bank I have to check with for a loan.

I so much want a garage but this is a tight schedule. I still have snow on the ground and an old shed to demolish.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Finally got around to going through the contents of the LED bulbs the solar company gave me... :book:

• 10 x 17w
  • 10 x 11w
  • 4 x 15w
  • 10 x 10w
  • 10 x 4w
20190407_162808.jpg
20190407_160459.jpg

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Hey Mooseman, what does a similar sized garage package go for in your parts? Those timelines are a tough sell, too easy to make a mistake or end up costing you more than its worth.

Might be able to source a package or custom build a garage to fit that slab on your own time. Lots of work but might be the perfect answer to that timeline and the fact you still have snow on the ground.

Edit: one thing though, the quality of lumber these days is absurd. Some of the older construction was just amazing. Straight, quality lumber and actual craftsmanship. Not some meth head getting paid 50$ an hour to blindly swing a nail gun around and take measurements with his good eye.

• Love
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A neighbour just had a similar sized garage built and it cost him $50k including slab. Got an estimate once for a metal building kit (a real building, not a quonset shed) and that would have cost $16k not including foundation. A few years ago, I got a quote for a normal wood garage kit which was over $20k. I'm mostly alone these days so building or erecting myself would turn into a multi-year project.

That garage was built by the owner in 1994 and is solid. The owner said others said it would cost about about $5k to move it about 10km. If my distance of 100km makes it too expensive, it wouldn't be worth it then. If I can get the whole thing done for under $20k, then it's a bargain. Tomorrow I may have more info.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Cool. In my civil engineering days, I found that the slab or any concrete work is really the big priced item. If you don't have some tall lanky bastards with good backs helping, the erecting becomes somewhat "aint gonna happen."

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Concrete is bout as much as the building i want for my house.

I in the cube village today.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This...

Attachments

• Snapchat-1140915387.jpg
    Snapchat-1140915387.jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 13

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Trying to stay busy at work, while ticking down to quitting time. Last night did some last minute, final cleaning around the house, as my guest should be arriving by 6pm, after 30 hours in the car. Depending on their energy levels, we may order in some dinner, or go out. I think the current leg of their trip was estimated at 9.5 hours, I know I wouldn't be trying to get right back into a vehicle after that. :uhno:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Spent $600,000 on 4 new company trucks (not my money)
Orientating a new employee
Getting permits, and registrations done for the new trucks (another $15,000 dollars not my money)

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm working half days for the next week and a half, while I have house guests in town, so was planning to sleep late and be lazy, since they were going to the beach today. NOPE!!! Solar company shows up with 2 electricians to convert my dryer and stove wiring from 3 to 4 wires, at 10am. But they didn't bring any wiring, they wanted to see how long of runs they needed first. After 10 minutes, they say they're going to Home Depot, OK fine...

TWO HOURS later, they get back. WTF they were doing, I have no idea. HD is 10 minutes away, the contractor desk couldn't have been THAT busy. I was supposed to be back at work as 12:30, so that's out the window. Emailed my department to tell them I'll be clocking in from home, in case anyone comes looking for me.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
"Solar company shows up with 2 electricians to convert my dryer and stove wiring from 3 to 4 wires, at 10am. But they didn't bring any wiring, they wanted to see how long of runs they needed first. After 10 minutes, they say they're going to Home Depot, OK fine... "

You going to use three phase power on the stove now??? :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Update on the garage saga. It's dead. Would have cost over $15k for the move. Oh well. I'll be looking at other options so no rush now.

Got a line on a possible parts G8 so I can get the seats, console, steering wheel and carpet for the Caprice. This is on FB marketplace over Messenger. The guy is practically illiterate, trying to decipher his messages. Even worse, it's in French! I am perfectly bilingual and master both languages but this guy can't write worth sh!t! You think you've seen bad grammar? Ha!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You going to use three phase power on the stove now??? :smile:

:book: I had to go look up what that meant. :bonk:

When the inspector came to check out what they had done a week ago, he gave them a checklist of things they needed to do before reinspection. One of them, since they upgraded my panel from 150 amps to 200 amps, was rewire the stove and dryer. Not sure why that was required :confused:

And of course, today is the day people at work are having emergencies with stuff breaking, and needing reports built.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And of course, today is the day people at work are having emergencies with stuff breaking, and needing reports built.

Of course!

Well, after several messages (and Tylenol), got a deal on all the parts I need to outfit the Caprice interior. $800CAD for everything and anything I need. Full leather seats and steering wheel too. Will be nice to have an armrest and cup holders especially. It's 3.5 hours away and will be borrowing my son's Silvy next Wed.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
... Trying to keep my ass awake. On some new meds, and although they make me sleep good, I am sitting here at work trying to keep my head from smacking into my keyboard.. I am loosing the battle. Head hit the edge of my coffee cup here a minute ago...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Used the 'new' Sierra to tow the travel trailer to a nearby dealership (awning recall, couple of other warranty items). Trip was only about 15mi, per Google, but at least I got a little taste to see what the load would be like.

- Even though I've got a 4.10 in this truck, vs. a 3.73 in the other...and it's been a good 4-5 mos since I pulled it with that one (again, only for a short distance)...it seemed to me like the other truck pulled the trailer slightly easier (?) Maybe it was the Flowmaster - b/c you definitely heard the engine as it pulled past 3K. Ordering a quieter replacement is next on my list. And I know using the tow/haul button contributes to this, since the shifts are held longer, etc.

- iMPG showed 8mpg at 40-45mph cruise. Ain't gainin' nuthin' here over the Voy :sadcry:
(admittedly, I'm pulling about 1500lb more than the old trailer weighed).

- I definitely am going to do the cam swap, once the other Sierra sells (ugh...another story). Decided after seeing the intake ports on this truck's heads (when I did the intake gaskets) that I was going to grab a set of heads & rebuild them, since I was going to pull the heads anyway to install new lifters. Looking at the same 317s for now; thought about 799s / 243s, but I don't want to bump the compression too much. You did see "8mpg", right? :biggrin: I don't want to have to use 93 octane for those 8mpg.

Something tells me FI is going to be a future project; maybe next summer (2020). Or I start learning about maintaining a pre-DEF DMax (for torque, not mpg.)

Not afraid of stepping on the go pedal with this one, and it didn't 'struggle'...but whomever said "pulls like nothing was behind it"... I knew I had +6000lb on the ball. No question about that. Same as the other Sierra, though...I can't badmouth this one for that. Didn't engage the 4WS in tow/haul, since that mode is really for highway speed maneuvering. Will wait till I get on the superslab for that.

- The trailer sits a little nose-high, hitched to this truck. I'll probably have to make an adjustment on the shank / stinger, dropping the ball down one 'notch'. Another difference vs. the old truck. I'm sure the 17's I have on this one contribute to that. Oh, well...better 'high' than 'low'.

- Coming to the realization that something heavy was dropped in the bed at some point -- the tailgate shows evidence of it, and today I put together the idea that, yes, the top of the bed (at the cab end) seems farther away from the cab than the bottom of the bed -- or at least farther away than the other Sierra's bed / cab are. I'll have to check this out in more detail later (but I haven't seen any evidence of a bent frame underneath, etc.)

If the truck had a gooseneck / fifth wheel hitch in the bed, I'd almost say that someone had the front end of a 5'er drop on the tailgate / hit the bed. But it's never had either of those installed. Since the truck has a set of bags on it, it's almost a certainty that it was hauling / towing some serious weight in a past life. Scratching my head, for now. :undecided:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is by far the longest post in this thread :ugh:

Me, I'm working a night shift.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Sorry... I'll be the first to ack that my posts are long. What is 'interesting' to me may not be to everyone else.

Didn't think it was worthy of its own thread.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe in the 'what are you.towing with yours' thread.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I thought of that, too, but didn't edit the post. Go ahead and use your Mod powers. :wink:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I did a thing... (yesterday that is.)
20190412_075159.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So ya went and got it after all, eh? Congrats!

(I had to look back and make sure you were the one with the "talk me out of it" thread from a few days ago.)
Yea, price was right, work threw me a $5/hr raise so it was basically a no brainer. Switched insurance providers and it's even cheaper yearly so...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
5 dollar an hour raise? WOW.. Must be nice! All I got was 1.10 an hour. (jealous!)

Long bed?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
5 dollar an hour raise? WOW.. Must be nice! All I got was 1.10 an hour. (jealous!)

Long bed?
Long bed. And yes, it's a nice jump. It's not amazing hourly but because its federal work study through the university the tax rate is different.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Made it to work for my half day. Just as my friends were getting ready to leave for Orlando for the weekend, the county inspector shows up. Good timing. Everything passed, so I'm good to go there. Got a letter in the mail from the utility company, saying they would come swap out my meter in the next couple of weeks, and I didn't need to be home for it. So now, I wait... More...

On my way into the office, stopped by the drug store to pick of a prescription, and the hardware store, to pick up a toilet valve/flapper kit. The valve has started having a delay in starting and stopping. The whole tank has emptied before the valve opens to fill it. It keeps running for maybe 5 seconds after the float has reached it's upper limit, and pours into the overflow tube. :ugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.