Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Fresh Start!

Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Was driving down the interstate, and saw something you normally dont see.

State Highway patrol had the east bound lanes of I-76 blocked, and a adjacent merge ramp, with rifles, handguns, and who knows what else, all aimed at this early 80's, maybe late 70's Chevy RV. I didnt see anyone in the drivers seat.. But who knows what that was all about. I wasnt able to get any pics, as I was driving a 80,000 lb rig.

• Wow
Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Was probably because of what happened in Nashville they're a little nervous of abandoned RVs.

Reactions: Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Reorganizing a couple rooms and some more work in the garage. Going to build a tire rack on the wall to hold the spare wheels for the Camaro (the factory ones that are pretty much crap but I'm saving for if/when it goes for a paint job - don't have to worry about any damage to the good wheels that way). The two bikes will go on hooks on the wall below that. Then somewhere will be my table saw on a wheeled stand I need to build.

Trying to pack way too much into this barely 2 car garage!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
More destruction!!! Or is it deconstruction? :undecided: Weather was going to be nice, and my back was feeling better, so got after it with the shed extension. As expected, multiple fastener types were used :hopeless: but the plywood was so rotted in most areas, I could just pull it down with the hook of the prybar. After a few hours, had it all torn out, swept up, scooped up and dumped into 5 contractor bags, and the larger pieces in the bin for tomorrow's pickup.

20201229_122827.jpg

Getting a better look at the structure, I found this section that was under the skylight, that's pretty rotted. Figured I could cut that out, put a new piece in there with some bracing.

20201229_122845.jpg

Then I got up on the ladder, and saw pretty much anywhere there was a screw or a nail, there was rot. Some just a little, others had a lot. Either way, not sure I want to invest the time, money and energy into this project, for what I use it for. At the top of the roof area, I was able to see what the problem was. The roof from the shed doesn't overlap the roof of the extension, it just drops off a couple of inches. So whatever he used didn't seal very well, and the runoff from the shingles got to the plywood. You can see white plastic trim below the shingles, if they had used traditional drip edge there, could have just bent the bottom outwards and gotten the coverage needed. :dunce:

20201229_122928.jpg20201229_122933.jpg

Workbench area was trashed. Top surface crumbled in my hands, and was easily torn out. Some of the support beams they were screwed to were pretty deteriorated too.

20201229_125022.jpg20201229_125033.jpg

So while I'm indecisive about what I'm gonna do next, I figured I'd give it a shiny new blue hat, and it can stay that way for a while. Bungee corded 3 of the corners, 2 of the sides in the middle and the boards on top should hopefully keep it from billowing when the wind blows.

20201229_144133.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Built the tire rack out of spare lumber in the garage. I'm a bit baffled - the house builder put most studs on that wall on 16 inch centers, then randomly had a 10 inch, then went to 24 inch centers :dunce:

Attachments

• 20201229_214736.jpg
    20201229_214736.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 3

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Chillin at home this week.

I think I found out what Sparky has really been doing...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
House shopping, fixed the blazer, working on the ballasts for the TB and finished building my E-Fan for the vette. Tomorrow I'm grading and picking up trap rock for the new shed. And sometime in the middle job hunting.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are we just going to close the other thread?

It's already closed. It was causing some system issues because it was so big.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Lots of projects getting started at the new house. First was removal of the entrance way closet that pretty much slaps you in the face as you enter the house.20201211_165410.jpg
Had to patch up the floor and relocate the vent.20201229_204130.jpg
As it sits now till I get at it a little later today.20201230_210136.jpg
I've already started the patch work but my floor guys will be sanding, stain seal and poly the floor on Saturday. All while I'm moving stuff in through the back and side door of the house to the upper bedrooms and basement.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Today is the day of my retirement. I really tried to make this seamless and put lots of effort into all the details that come with it. Didd'nt happen.
First, called the 401k plan last week to have a monthly withdrawal deposited to my checking account. After 3 soilid days on hold, finally found out they won't do it until AFTER my retirement date. I did stupidly ask why, since I want this done January 30th., couldn't they set this up now. Nope, I have to call after Jan. 1.
Last month, I called HR to tell them I was going to use COBRA for a month so I could set up the Medicare BS, and to please send me the paperwork. Never showed up, called back and they told me it would be here in 2 weeks, retroactive if I wished. OK, when are the comany benefits expireing? Jan.1. WTF? I'm going to have to go a while with no medical benifts.
So I start checking Medicare on the computer. If anyones ever done it, it's mind boggling, and I'm not medically savvy with this stuff.
So, Monday, I'm cancelling my doctors appointments for January, and fighting with the beaurocracy. FML.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hoping to finish up the odds n ends in the garage to put both cars in it but we'll see - tweaked my back on freezing rain induced ice this morning. Ow.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have my eldest son over since he lives alone. Picked him up yesterday after his work and spent a quiet evening with a nice steak dinner and then watching NYE festivities on TV. Really perked him up since he was feeling depressed with all this isolation. He'll be heading back tomorrow.

Not much going on today, might tackle the garage cleaning some more. Still haven't done the cylinder head on my sled but the weather here hasn't been motivating me much with the lack of snow. And we've been told by the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs that we shouldn't travel from one area to another. In other words, I can't trailer to the snow. Plus, with restaurants closed to indoor dining, this would be the way to get food:

post-21909-1191950523.jpg

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Feeling like crap for 2 days so I have a Covid test appointment for tomorrow. All the doctor offices that take cash are closed till Monday . I have no insurance. Emailed my doctor asking for a script of Ivermectin....No answer of course. If it weren't for bad luck .....well you know the rest...

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
In the midst of a long stretch of night shifts. Oh well it was done so I could have a long stretch off over Christmas.

The weather has been great put here, need some fresh snow but still nice. Put a few miles in the sleds since I cleaned the one carb. Seems to be running like a top now!! Pulled a plug and it looks pretty decent.

Hopefully put a few more miles on this week.

Attachments

• 20210101_151950.jpg
    20210101_151950.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 5

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Drove my eldest son back home this morning since he's working tonight. Then me and my youngest son cleaned the garage enough to be able to get a sled in. The trailer was frozen to the ground and the Av had trouble getting it out, even in 4hi, but it did. Unloaded both sleds and brought my son's Nytro in first since it needs the least work, just normal maintenance and such. Both started great despite not having a charger or being started at all during the off season. Yamaha fuel injection FTW. We got just a 5cm snowfall last night but was able to ride mine around the yard a little. Despite having a head gasket issue, she's still very peppy. It just pukes coolant at WOT.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Whoever decided to glue carpet straight to concrete... eff off. Spent most of yesterday doing that. Also, El casa Del cheapo can't measure carpet... went back thrice for 20 feet by 12. 2 out of three we got 18.5... last time 23. They discounted it each time we went so when all was said and done we saved like 20$ but still... wtf.

Today is an easy one. Walk on the beach and football. And maybe work on my throttle bodies for the vette.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got started on the sled. Man, what a job! So much stuff to move out of the way. I was able to save a couple of hours by leaving the tank on but I had to cut a bolt that was hitting it. I'll just replace it facing the other way, like it should have been.

It almost looks like a miniature LL8 I6 engine with the cover off.

Attachments

• PXL_20210104_193013115.jpg
    PXL_20210104_193013115.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20210104_220741237.jpg
    PXL_20210104_220741237.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210104_231556372.jpg
    PXL_20210104_231556372.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope. I have huge meat hooks that strike fear in people. I can still get around in there and surprisingly, the TB usually scratches me up more like a feral cat. Once you start peeling stuff off this thing, it gives access to the other stuff. It's actually well engineered except for that one bolt. Manual does say to remove the seat and tank, screw that!

• Haha
Reactions: BrianF and Matt

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Finally got the gas turned back on at my aunt's house, after two other visits to fix a clogged gutter and coordinate plumbers (to install gas shut off valves in her 1972 era house so I could
*get* the gas turned back on in the first place). Got the heat and water heater going, then tackled the basement full of soggy carpet, compliments of that aforementiond gutter dumping itself right next to the foundation. One end of the gutter had a small tree growing out of it, which backed up the water until the far end pulled loose. It didn't buckle, just twisted a bit, so it created an upward warp in the gutter that just helped *keep* the blocked part flooding the foundation.

My back hates me, but at least if we do get a proper freeze any time soon, I don't have to worry about the pipes freezing!

Next I get to coordinate getting rid of the huge pile of trash/carpet in the garage. Doesn't help that her house is two hours away on a good traffic day...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Got started on the sled. Man, what a job! So much stuff to move out of the way. I was able to save a couple of hours by leaving the tank on but I had to cut a bolt that was hitting it. I'll just replace it facing the other way, like it should have been.

It almost looks like a miniature LL8 I6 engine with the cover off.
BRP?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No it's not a Bring Rings and Pistons. It's a Yamaha.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Same ole same ole work thing after a nice vacation

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Battling this virus. Supposedly have it, test was positive but Im not sure. Ran a lil fever Friday, tested Sat and Sunday got result but except for muscle aches and feeling like crap no other symptoms. Woke up this morning with a huge head cold so sure seems like a regular winter cold to me. Everyone I was around tested and all negative so Im gonna test again probably Thurs and see how it comes out.
Weather is really nice during the day right now . Would be a great time to get on the Envoy but just dont have the energy. Bored out of my mind for sure...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So I'm still allowed to call them yamabangs?

I call mine Yamaton. :biggrin:

Speaking of which, I took the head off today. Another engineering WTF when they put the engine mount in the way of the timing chain tensioner (or the other way around) so had to pull the engine mount bolt out and tilt the engine up.

Pull the head and, nothing visible as to what is going on. It was blowing coolant out of the overflow tank whenever I was going WOT. It wasn't burning coolant and the cylinders all looked normal. A quick check with a straightedge and light looked good on the block and on the head, a wee bit of light getting through between the two middle chambers. Some sanding on a plate of glass should clean that up. I'll also lap the valves as they were leaking when I checked at the end of last season.

One mistake I did was turn the head over. 10 of the 12 valve buckets (or lifters) dropped out along with the adjustment disks. Luckily it was on a large rag to catch them but they got mixed up. The disks are three different thicknesses that adjusts valve clearance. Checking the manual, the three thicknesses are very close to each other so it might not matter much. So I'll have to just put them back in, measure the valve clearances and swap them around until I get them right.

Attachments

• PXL_20210106_000746403.jpg
    PXL_20210106_000746403.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210106_000739346.jpg
    PXL_20210106_000739346.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 8

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I call mine Yamaton. :biggrin:

Speaking of which, I took the head off today. Another engineering WTF when they put the engine mount in the way of the timing chain tensioner (or the other way around) so had to pull the engine mount bolt out and tilt the engine up.

Pull the head and, nothing visible as to what is going on. It was blowing coolant out of the overflow tank whenever I was going WOT. It wasn't burning coolant and the cylinders all looked normal. A quick check with a straightedge and light looked good on the block and on the head, a wee bit of light getting through between the two middle chambers. Some sanding on a plate of glass should clean that up. I'll also lap the valves as they were leaking when I checked at the end of last season.

One mistake I did was turn the head over. 10 of the 12 valve buckets (or lifters) dropped out along with the adjustment disks. Luckily it was on a large rag to catch them but they got mixed up. The disks are three different thicknesses that adjusts valve clearance. Checking the manual, the three thicknesses are very close to each other so it might not matter much. So I'll have to just put them back in, measure the valve clearances and swap them around until I get them right.
I keep looking at it... it reminds me of the TR-1 in my wave runner. Wonder if its a derivative.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I keep looking at it... it reminds me of the TR-1 in my wave runner. Wonder if its a derivative.
Being Yamaha, it probably does share some DNA with it however, sled motors are more derived from motorcycle engines. The 1000cc Apex 4 cyl. motor is a variant of the FZ1-R1 engine. The 3 cyl., like mine, was built specifically for snowmobiles however it looks like the 4 cyl. engine with a cylinder chopped off.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Being Yamaha, it probably does share some DNA with it however, sled motors are more derived from motorcycle engines. The 1000cc Apex 4 cyl. motor is a variant of the FZ1-R1 engine. The 3 cyl., like mine, was built specifically for snowmobiles however it looks like the 4 cyl. engine with a cylinder chopped off.
I actually was skimming through my literature on my ski and it said the 3 banger (1049 cc) was actually derived from the snowmobile engine which was 998 or something to the tune of that. The one that got the supercharger (genesis?) Is similar too. Thing runs reasonably well, little noisy and lacks the counter vibration parts the snowmobiles have but it gets the job done.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would be the Sidewinder. It evolved from the Nytro (and my) engine with the addition of a turbo. Crazy powerful engine.

Reactions: littleblazer

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Working.. Filed the taxes, just need to wait for the owner to make the funds available. Final tally came out near 186k. Only enough to pay of my house, 2 times.

Searching the interwebz to see if I can locate a 5600x or a 5800x without paying "pemiums".

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
May go look at a house with a 4 bay workshop. That'd be sick. Drooling over the thought of being able to work on 2 vehicles in the same space and not want to throw a wrench. :drooling:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So this was was taken last month, when I was replacing a blend door motor.. My sausage fingers, and the spare tire around the middle.. Its nice to have a wife that is really small, less than 100lbs, and over a foot shorter than me!
20201010_131134.jpg
20201010_124235.jpg20201010_131152.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online