What are the normal engine and trans. temp

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I just took a 200 mile trip today and for the fun of it I monitored the temps via my new Autel.

outside temp 20's F when we started and 40's by the end, engine temp rose quickly and stayed in the 170's for the trip. Trans temp took a long time to rise (30 min of driving 50mph) and stayed in the 160's (180 after a long hill climb). No heavy load or Trailer.

Now it appears I need a T stat.

Reactions: Beacon

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah your t-stat was definitely stuck open. You should get to 195 and hold there, if the weather is cold like that.

Not sure if there's a consensus on a normal transmission temp. Since the stock cooler is in the bottom of the radiator, as long as the tranny temp doesn't start climbing past the engine temp, you're generally in good shape.

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
If its stuck open wouldn't it take forever to get to the 170s temp?

Tomorrow I am going to shoot the block with my IR temp gun to confirm that the temps match

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
What it might be doing is opening too early, so the engine never gets up to proper operating temperatures.

In theory that will keep the transmission from warming up faster, but mine was running a bit warm prior to installing an auxiliary cooler, and that warm up pattern doesn't sound too far off of what mine was doing. That was with a thermostat opening at the proper temps, as well.

Reactions: Rick Beckmann

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That trans temp /behavior looks normal. I have a gauge in my Sierra, and it pretty much duplicates what you saw (with the exception of the hill climb). Takes awhile to come up to temp, vs. the engine coolant. Once it does, it'll stay steady at about 160F, without a load / towing.

Granted, I have a 4L80 in that truck, and a (factory) external cooler, but the behavior is similar. Nothing to worry about, WRT your trans temp.

Reactions: Mooseman

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I currently have a CEL because the engine, according to the code, doesn't come up to proper temp. I have an '06 envoy SLT and regardless of the temp outside, the needle always stayed in the exact middle of the dash gauge. Summer or dead of winter it never seemed to vary at all. I haven't used any other gauges or apps to check it but I'm running at about 170 now with the thermostat stuck open.

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I just ordered a Tstat from Amazon (AC) I thought about getting temp sensor too because "I'll be there" but then found out mine's not there, so I doesn't matter. (mine's an 06)

My question is, if it turns out I need to do the sensor too, can you do it with out a crow's foot?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I might would want to ck for proper operation of the cooling fan before i started throwing 2 many parts at it. I dont know if your is a clutch fan or electric fans but the clutch fan for sure is notorious for sticking on high speed in cold weather...or any weather for that matter.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Cant say for sure but saw 4 videos on YT and they all used a crow's foot.
This guy seemed to do it with the least trouble of the 4..

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Cant say for sure but saw 4 videos on YT and they all used a crow's foot.
This guy seemed to do it with the least trouble of the 4..

The 06+ has the temp sensor on the passenger side rear of the engine.

I changed out the T stat not now at 208 (a hair above the 210 on the gauge now) Now that I think about it it has not been up there in a year now.

The lower alt. bolt was a pain in the _______, the AC lines are right in the way to easily get it from the wheel well.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The lower alt. bolt was a pain in the _______, the AC lines are right in the way to easily get it from the wheel well.

No doubt.

This is my best friend for the lower alternator bolt. Don't have the part number, but the Snap-On man can get it.

Screenshot_20200224-023552_Gallery.jpg

If you get backed into the A/C line, just flip the switch....the open end works quick also being stubby.

Reactions: Blckshdw

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I couldn't get the temp. sensor out on my 2004 I6 out with a crows foot. It sits in a boss and the flats of the wrench wouldn't grab it. Wound up using an 18mm fuel injector wrench.

Reactions: Rick Beckmann

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online