Wet Sand or Dry Sand

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Should I dry sand paint off or wet sand it off? I'm just doing my hood, nothing real major. I have access to a dremel which I'll use insted of sanding.

Thoughts?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Wet sanding is for polishing the fine scratches out when you're going for a mirror gloss surface. The entire process is explained very well on many web sites that are tutorials for detailing. Many of them put up by the mfrs of the products involved.

Edit: You sure you're an offroader? :confused:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Yes I'm sure! I got some rust on the hood that I want to take care of. Thats the reason for asking.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok, A Dremel with a grinding head should work, right? Gotta Love Michigan Rust! :hahano:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Only if you strike out with dry sandpapering. Grinding wheels clog up with paint. Make sure you have all the rust prevention and priming products you're going to need BEFORE you expose bare metal. Again, LOTS of web sites explain the process of fixing automotive rust areas. That's a hint. :wink:

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Using something like a nylon impregnated paint/rust removal attachment for a handheld drill is a good way to get rid of rust without much effort or damage. After that, hand sanding or using an orbital palm sander will get your surface ready for body filler/primer/paint. I am not sure what kind of work you are doing or how you plan to finish it, but keep in mind that if you are looking for a finished repair that doesn't look like a repair you are going to use a finish glaze at the very least. Removing the rust WILL create an uneven surface.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
What I plan on doing is removing the paint with the Dremel and sand paper. Brush some Ospho on it(to stop the rust). Then hit it with Krylon Dual Paint and Primer(few coats) and call it good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher