Well no new mods for me for a while.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I havent been very active lately as we have been extremely busy. To get straight to the point My girlfriend Tiffany and I are buying a house. We have been actively searching for a few years, and after paying ridiculous rent on a one bedroom apartment it is time to get the f--k out. The seller accepted our offer on April 11, and we are waiting for the loan paper work to finish being processed. Everything so far has been very nice. It was more stressful buying my truck than this has been (knock on wood). We are set to close on May 25th.

I do have some work I need to do, some trim needs to be installed, the deck needs the top to be redone. Just some other basic things. The house is 2000 sq ft, .6 acres, with a longer 1 car garage :wootwoot:. Asking price was 224,900, we went in at full price and asked for 7500 in closing help. So I will get the $1000 earnest money back, and we are going in with $0 down. As long as everything goes fine we will begin moving on the 25th, just waiting on some final paper work with the USDA, and our lender.

So for the meantime my mod bug is in its cage.

If the 224k seems high, for this area that is below average, the house is completely refinished, new kitchen, floors, electrical, plumbing, hvac, appliances, siding, and some other stuff. It was built in 1973 and it is a split foyer. When we priced houses back in 2008 the same area had houses going for over 300k. Our rent is going to be over $1150 a month if resign the lease (last month is May). Our payment with taxes, insurance and a 3.75% interest rate is under $1350.

I have been a busy boy and am extremely excited.:cool:

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
congrats man :thumbsup: What part of MD are you in?? Sad to know there wont be any new mods :frown: But the house and GF will hopefully be worth the tradeoff lol :yes:

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
03TB93 said:
congrats man :thumbsup: What part of MD are you in?? Sad to know there wont be any new mods :frown: But the house and GF will hopefully be worth the tradeoff lol :yes:

Southern Maryland

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
congrats on the house man...

just goes to show you the difference in states and housing... I live in OH, and i had my house built in 2005, 2 story, 3 bedroom, 2 and a half bath, full basement, 2 car garage.. for 126,000... i finianced at 4.875% for 30 years, so my mortgage is a little under $700 a month, and thats including my property taxes...

looks like the cost of living in MD is higher then OH :crackup:

but i think i would take house mods over truck mods anyday... good luck in your new adventure :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Boricua SS said:

just goes to show you the difference in states and housing... I live in OH, and i had my house built in 2005, 2 story, 3 bedroom, 2 and a half bath, full basement, 2 car garage.. for 126,000... i finianced at 4.875% for 30 years, so my mortgage is a little under $700 a month, and thats including my property taxes...

looks like the cost of living in MD is higher then OH :crackup:

but i think i would take house mods over truck mods anyday... good luck in your new adventure :thumbsup:

Md has like the 4th or 5th highest cost of living in the US. Not to mention we have a trifecta effect with DC to the north, PAX river to the south, and a nuclear power plant and all of the nice government work over in VA. It has really buffered this area during the recession, but it has taken its toll. Home prices are down 30-50%, but we do not have the massive amounts of foreclosures like other areas.

Thank you kind sir. :tiphat:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:

I will most definately agree^ congrats man!!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Congrats!!! We are in the same boat. We found a smaller 3bd 1 bath house on about half an acre lot 4 car garage and a HUGE dry basement. It also needs some work, like adding a master suite with attached bathroom in the basement lol new siding (hate the color) and some landscaping. Inside has been completely renovated with new paint, carpet in the bedrooms, hardwood floors in the rest of the house, new appliances, upgraded kitchen and bath. We got ours for 86K The house with basement is about 1200 sq ft and is also older construction.

We close in June!!!!

I'm looking forward to stashing my project in the new garage!!!

Once again Congrats!!!! There is nothing like the feeling of owning your first home, Enjoy!!!

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
86k wont even buy a foreclosure missing a wall here, let alone a double wide. One acre runs about 50-100k depending on location. It is rediculous

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Another Ohio area (I'm by West Virginia boarder) My parents bout their house in 07. 54 1/3 acres, 3,000 sq feet + partially finished basement. 4 bedrooms, 3 full bath, 2 1/2 car garage (can get 3 side by side, but its TIGHT, and one across the back perpendicular to the door if you tried hard enough) and they paid 166,000. Put another 50ish into renovations (house was empty for 10 years).

But other houses around here, city lots 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, 1200 sq feet seem to hover around 35-40ish. Virtually no jobs around here right now. Was a steel mill heavy area. Wheeling-Pitt pretty much closed up and left. But there is another boom with Marcelles Shale and coal mining. Prices are starting to go up. Friend was renting a small 2 bedroom apt and paid 425, now its up to 680 in 18 months.

Congrats on the house. I'm throwing away money on rent, but I dont know what I want to be when I grow up and need a "real" job first anyway.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
86k wont even buy a foreclosure missing a wall here, let alone a double wide. One acre runs about 50-100k depending on location. It is rediculous

Wow that's nuts lol It's fairly cheap here in Iowa. We could have gotten a bigger house, but nothing we looked at had the garage space we wanted or a dry basement and acreage. So when we seen this house we jumped on it lol It's a bit small inside for my liking, but it will be paid off quickly and allow us to add onto it. The only thing I'm really doing without is a second bathroom and the sq footage, but like I said all that can be fixed with time. The town we bought it in has less than 5,000 residents and most of the people are old. I have to drive to where I am now just to go to the grocery store! Luckily it's only about 12 miles out.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Welcome to the wonderful world of home ownership! On a serious note, congratulations.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
We are both excited. Loking back on how much we have spent on rent, it is well over $25,000 for 25 months. Rent was $1050 a month for a 700 sqft one bedroom. It was going up to $1175.

I am pretty good at working on anything so any major work I will attempt with some help. Anything that breaks they have forums for so, no contractors/repair men for me.

gr82bCanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Congrats :thumbsup: Love to hear when young couples buy a house over renting, really great investment. The DIY network will soon be one of you favorite channels :biggrin:
Like they say....pics or it didn't happen....:cool:

Housing market varies across Canada too, and we took advantage of it 5 years ago. In 2007 we sold our 950 sqft 2+1 bedroom, 2 bathroom, no garage (no room to ever built one either) for $489k (paid $137K 8 years before), paid off all our debt, moved to a different province, bought an acreage (10 acres) with a 2 storey (1250 sqft per level) house built in 1986, with 3+1 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, double car garage for only $370K :wootwoot: Our dream home you might say. Best thing we ever did...got out of a booming oil town and out to the quiet country living and closer to family, lots more work to do for maintenance and yard work and such but worth every minute of it!

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Congrats on the new house!! And yes, buying in Maryland sucks. House prices are ridiculous. Even with the drop in values home prices are still way to high. This entire region is under what I refer to as the D.C. effect.

Good luck!:cool:

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
man i love ky prices 3 bedroom 1 and half bath finished basement one car garage roughly one acre and paid 92,000 :wootwoot: but congratulations i just hope your closing goes better than mine did was suppose to close early December stuff got messed up so they told us to pack every thing up in a uhaul and we would close on monday......... we didnt end up closing until after christmas. Now i love paying for my own house instead of somebodies else is place

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Well we close next Friday. It almost does not seem real but I know it is. We got the call today that final approval is done through them and USDA. It has been a bit of a roller coaster ride, but it has been mostly stress free thankfully.

Here is a teaser pic for now.

View attachment 20877

I will get more up later when we start going to the house more.

Now we have an uphill battle with the apartment complex, they want alot of money in fee's, etc. Wish me luck on that part.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 65

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
blazinlow89 said:
Well we close next Friday. It almost does not seem real but I know it is. We got the call today that final approval is done through them and USDA. It has been a bit of a roller coaster ride, but it has been mostly stress free thankfully.

Here is a teaser pic for now.

View attachment 6779

I will get more up later when we start going to the house more.

Now we have an uphill battle with the apartment complex, they want alot of money in fee's, etc. Wish me luck on that part.

Congrats man!!! Good luck with it!! :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Well some updates, we closed on the 25th of May, by the end of the day Saturday the apartment was empty. I do not believe how much stuff can fit in a 1 bedroom apartment. We have been busy getting things the way we like them, most of it has been painting. The deck though was my first project, we initially though about just resurfacing the decking, until we started to do the demo. The stringers had become rotted and saturated with water. So the entire deck which started out at 10'x10' is now 10'x15'. Not much larger but big enough until we decide to expand.

So far we have been through about 10 gallons of paint with 10 more waiting to go on, basement was semi finished and the bedrooms had odd color choices. I did manage to find time to do some work on getting the garage setup, it needs more work but its a step toward what I want out of it. As for everything else its been some minor work to make the yard look better, but it needs to be reseeded, the driveway has some root damage but I want to expand it anyways. So far we love it, can't hear people coughing next door, no footsteps above us while we sleep (hopefully not), and we are settling into the area.

I know I am lacking on pics, but they will come give me some time.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Nice looking home :yes: Congrats on the big buy. Although I believe veh mod bug might be slightly cheaper than a home mod bug :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher