Well I have a gas leak......

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Well This hasn't been the best week as far as the Gmc Envoy has gone... Lol Well I had been smelling gas fumes next to the drivers side door rather freaquently and I had looked under the truck several times looking for any signs. I had finally took it in a couple weeks later for the seized tie rod end. I told the mechanic about them and He showed me that there was a small gas leak most likely coming from the seal from the pump to the outside of the tank. He said, He replaced one last summer for about $550, Is that a good deal? What am I looking at that commonly needs to be replaced? Thanks
Trent

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Call the dealer and give them your VIN and ask if there's an extended service assistance program on that. I know there's one for fuel level senders and cracked filler necks.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
depending on the miles, there may not be any help, but def worth calling to ask. it could also be too late.

mine had the fuel pump pipes corrode, which after a short period of smell, went catastrophic. (nasty leak, huge puddle of gas.)

that figure for labor is not too awful bad, but the fuel pump assy runs $300 to $500 (later price is dealer retail)

might have to add some lines, and if you have not done the fuel filter lately, not a bad idea to do while you are tearing in to the system.

the tank has to come down. I had just filled mine up with gas, and had planned to go on vacation in a few days, cost me around $1800 at the dealer.

see http://gmtnation.com/f24/fuel-leak-top-tank-4063/

does it leak when running, or only when just fueled and full?

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
If you were defeated by a tie rod end I have serious doubts you are going to want to drop the gas tank to swap out parts.
I'd start at the dealer though, see if they'll do it for free.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
the roadie said:
Call the dealer and give them your VIN and ask if there's an extended service assistance program on that. I know there's one for fuel level senders and cracked filler necks.

Called the dealer, I am still covered! Thats awsome! But could my lift effect the recall at all or no? Could it void it in anyway?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
03envoy said:
Called the dealer, I am still covered! Thats awsome! But could my lift effect the recall at all or no? Could it void it in anyway?
Very cool. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 means that a warranty may only be voided if aftermarket parts DIRECTLY affect the system that failed. So a suspension modification can't be claimed by the dealer to affect corrosion on top of the gas tank, but a PCM tune that removes Torque Management could void a powertrain warranty.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
the roadie said:
Very cool. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 means that a warranty may only be voided if aftermarket parts DIRECTLY affect the system that failed. So a suspension modification can't be claimed by the dealer to affect corrosion on top of the gas tank, but a PCM tune that removes Torque Management could void a powertrain warranty.

Awsome! Thank you Roadie! I do have a tune but my truck is an 03 so I dont beleive I have a powertrain warranty still??? I am dropping it off at the dealer tonight for the repair!

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I took it in Last night and I recieved a call this morning. They said it is covered. They are replacing the BADLY corroted fuel lines and The sending unit. They are having a hard time they said removing the fuel lines due to bad corrosion. I am going to pick it up tomorrow! Great service! Thanks again guys!:wootwoot:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
03envoy said:
I took it in Last night and I recieved a call this morning. They said it is covered. They are replacing the BADLY corroted fuel lines and The sending unit. They are having a hard time they said removing the fuel lines due to bad corrosion. I am going to pick it up tomorrow! Great service! Thanks again guys!:wootwoot:

How many miles do you have on your Envoy?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
03envoy said:

and they still covered it after that long? Give me the number to that dealership so I can see what I can get covered also haha

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
and they still covered it after that long? Give me the number to that dealership so I can see what I can get covered also haha

Zubor buick/Gmc in Taylor, Mi The warranty is Extended. Its a 10 Year / 120,000 mile.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
03envoy said:
Zubor buick/Gmc in Taylor, Mi The warranty is Extended. Its a 10 Year / 120,000 mile.

Now you have my curiosity level up.

did you pay for an extended warranty, or was there a GM offered extension for just the fuel pump corrosion failure?.

we saw some posted letters which indicated some kind of GM program for the fuel pump corrosion, with different limits. (and last one I saw indicated a hard end date a few years ago)

I am interested since as posted, I paid a GM dealer here in northern VA to perform the fuel pump replacement, originally hoping some would be covered by GM. my TB is also a 2003, but had over143,00 miles on it when it failed this summer. sadly, I paid the whole bill. (wa wa wa, poor me):frown:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
meerschm said:
Now you have my curiosity level up.

did you pay for an extended warranty, or was there a GM offered extension for just the fuel pump corrosion failure?.

we saw some posted letters which indicated some kind of GM program for the fuel pump corrosion, with different limits. (and last one I saw indicated a hard end date a few years ago)

I am interested since as posted, I paid a GM dealer here in northern VA to perform the fuel pump replacement, originally hoping some would be covered by GM. my TB is also a 2003, but had over143,00 miles on it when it failed this summer. sadly, I paid the whole bill. (wa wa wa, poor me):frown:

I did not pay for the warranty. Its called like an Extended service Warranty. I just happen to be lucky with the miles as low as they are. I am glad in happened now and not 2 years from now.. Yea its a hefty bill. Not goona lie. I heard about $1000...

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
AFAIK;

For short wheel base trucks, it's special coverage #07076. 10 years/120k miles

For long wheel base trucks, it's special coverage #07099. 10 years/150k miles

Virginia was not one of the states listed on my paperwork, but you could try.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online