ANNOUNCEMENT Welcome to GMTNation.com! Here's the story...

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Obviously, things have become stagnant at TrailVoy, and the company that owns it will not allow us to do anything to improve, or even repair the community's features. Things have gone downhill rather quickly over there and our requests for support have gone unanswered for way too long. The site has great members and a large amount of helpful information, but navigating the site with the disgusting amount of advertisements is more of a challenge with each passing day, and the relevance of the advertisements proves that they don't care about the community. They just want to make their money from all of the page impressions and ad clicks... otherwise they could care less.

The staff and some very familiar faces have teamed up to provide a community that is owned and run by enthusiasts, and the few minimal advertisements that you will see at the top and bottom of the site are only to help offset the expensive costs of running and maintaining a community and offering premium features. We are not trying to make a profit.

One of the things we are most excited about are some of the policies that will set us apart from TrailVoy. Vendors will no longer be required to pay fees that allow them to conduct business with members of the community. We have some big plans that could greatly benefit both members and vendors/retailers. We are also expanding our platform coverage.

We will not be blocking links to other sites, even if they block us, that is counter-productive in our opinion. The only exception would be for the security of our users. If we find links to illegal or malicious content, they will be removed and blocked. This policy will not affect the quality of content this site will offer the community.

Also, when it comes to other sites like GMTruckClub or ChevroletForum, we shouldn't look at them as competitors or enemies. They are sites that were started by enthusiasts, in most cases, with a vision like the one we had when we supported TrailVoy or when we started this site. They undoubtedly offer resources and variety to the community. Without the community, these sites would be useless. I believe we will have more features and options to set us apart from some other sites.

The one site we do want to be set apart from is TrailVoy. We are not looking for profit and will only display enough advertisements to help the site self-sustain, or at least offset as much of the cost as we can. We will not collect profits from vendors, we will not plaster ads in every possible crevice of the site, and we will not over-moderate due to outdated or counter-productive rules.

Last, but not least... the staff. We've all worked very hard to get TrailVoy where it is... or was. I dropped off the radar when VS refused to let me continue to do what I did... maintenance and feature additions. The straw that broke the camel's back is when they turned that site into a billboard after explicitly promising us that no such thing would happen. Myself and all of the staff were forced to enforce rules that were petty and were only created to ensure the site generated revenue. It caused a lot of friction between the staff and the members, all the while we were privately against the rules that we had to enforce. It completely ruined our experience as enthusiasts and made us out to be the bad guys.

While we will still have to enforce rules and policies here, they will be for the benefit of the community. There will always be someone that doesn't like to follow any rules, no matter what they are, but we have a goal... a reason for starting this site, and we would be negligent to just let our hard work and start-up cash go to waste.

We need you, the community, to get this site going. All we ask is that you stay on-topic and keep it as clean as possible. A slipped up curse word here and there won't be a huge deal, but you have to keep in mind that we have a lot of search engines picking up our content, and excessive profanity will be placed in search results. At some point, it will start to hurt us more than it would to allow over-use of profanity. We've all heard it, we've all said it... we are not trying to hide if from anyone... but we would like to do our best to keep the site family friendly and professional.

Thank you, and we look forward to building a community bigger and better than what we've grown used to.

If you're interested in how VerticalScope is screwing it's members and advertisers, read this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks to you and the staff for all your efforts. Hope this works as well or better than the old TV. It is great to know the leadership of the site truly cares and is active to make the site as good as possible.

Happy Holidays!

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Thanks to you and the staff for all your efforts. Hope this works as well or better than the old TV. It is great to know the leadership of the site truly cares and is active to make the site as good as possible.

Happy Holidays!

Its time to invite all your friends!

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Thanks for all that you did to get this site off the ground. Its going to be nice to be part of a community that feels more like a family then a prison.

is it possible to have the html code for the banner, so we can all change our signatures to drive more traffic over here?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Me007gold said:
Thanks for all that you did to get this site off the ground. Its going to be nice to be part of a community that feels more like a family then a prison.

:iagree: Time to invite people over here :wootwoot:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
jham said:
jham if you would please

I sent a PM to almost all the members for MI lol

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Me007gold said:
So whats the over/under on how long it takes us all to get banned over there?

I doubt they would ban members, they may ban the moderators though!:biggrin:

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Hey! I made the trip across cyber space :biggrin:

Thanks for going through the work of creating this site!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Let the revolution begin! :-0

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Blckshdw said:
How long until we go Kevorkian on the OS and pull our respective plugs? :undecided:

:rotfl:

We are waiting to see if anything happens.:cool:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
07 TB RIDER said:
So who's going to have to clean up my mess on TV?:undecided::rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl: I am trying to keep up :goodpost:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Good lord I think you guys have tagged every sticky on the OS.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Ghoster said:

Thats the plan. the roadie would be pissed of he had to clean all that up :rotfl:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well done!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Ghoster said:

Cannot say they did not know about this site lol

gotspeed1

Dec 3, 2011
gotspeed1 is on GMT nation. Thanks to the folks who recognized the BS on the OS, and for going rogue to get this going. If it weren't for the people who have went out on a limb i the last few years, the enthusiasm for the platform may not be what it is today. Thanks again!

Happy and safe holidays to you and yours!!!

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
As someone who has been actively fighting spammers for 16 years now, that's on the low end of the funny scale. :frown:

:rotfl: Sorry Bill. I'll rephrase, I was simply marketing the new site. :biggrin: Plus I'm kind of tired, I think I've marketed enough. :yes:

So I assume I wont be able to log on Monday morning onto the OS

And I'm sure this ruins my chances of being a mod over there? :rotfl:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Awesome work everybody!!

Note to self: do not piss off GMT360 owners because they can destroy a site in minutes....

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
07 TB RIDER said:
:rotfl: Sorry Bill. I'll rephrase, I was simply marketing the new site. :biggrin: Plus I'm kind of tired, I think I've marketed enough. :yes:

So I assume I wont be able to log on Monday morning onto the OS

And I'm sure this ruins my chances of being a mod over there? :rotfl:

Yeah im sure I wont be able to also lol if you go down, I think Ill be down also!

Good job Mike!! I stopped keeping up because I got annoyed :rotfl:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Nice.:wooot: Just signed up today. Used to go by Ralph_T handle on TV. Hows my new name? I like it.:yes:

Well howdy Ralph!! You will find a lot of familiar faces here. Still in the building phase, but its coming along. :cool:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Wasn't really that active on TV for the most part recently. But yeah I did notice the ads were getting annoying, but I didn't realize things had gotten as bad as they did. Maybe I'll get some of my issues answered here now!

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Well I'm here. I think a fresh start is a good thing. Sucks the character limit on the usernames is shorter than trailvoy, but I think I can get over that :wink:

if someone wants to update my sig over there my username is/was trailblazerdude

coleman

Dec 4, 2011
Ghoster said:
Crap. Forgot about that. We will get there eventually. Are you using tap a talk to view the site?

No, iPhone Safari. Just tried tapatalk and it appears to be working fine with the site, even the search functionality. Tapatalk was sorely lacking at TV. Glad you installed it here.

gregoryd12

Dec 3, 2011
Yay! Nice new site without the stupid ads crawling in everywhere. I'm glad I got curious about all those signatures that popped up all of a sudden, and gambled it wasn't a virus!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
coleman said:
...Tapatalk was sorely lacking at TV. ...
That the owners took tapatalk AWAY when they took over the site, and refused to reinstall it, and then coughed up their OWN hairball of a paid app is a short summary of the disrespect they treated the members in many other ways.

The Quaker State ROTM silliness is another.

No merchandise is another.

Monitors who hardly ever showed up because they were tasked with keeping track of 40+ forums is another.

coleman

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
That the owners took tapatalk AWAY when they took over the site, and refused to reinstall it, and then coughed up their OWN hairball of a paid app is a short summary of the disrespect they treated the members in many other ways.

The Quaker State ROTM silliness is another.

No merchandise is another.

Monitors who hardly ever showed up because they were tasked with keeping track of 40+ forums is another.

Curious if the owners are the original person/people who started the site or someone that the site was sold to who viewed it only as a revenue generating venture. If it was sold, when did that happen?

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
coleman said:
Curious if the owners are the original person/people who started the site or someone that the site was sold to who viewed it only as a revenue generating venture. If it was sold, when did that happen?

The site was originally made by a guy named Tommy, he may show up here at some point. He sold it to another individual. The second owner didn't realize how much work it could be to maintain a site of that size. It was bought by Vertical Scope after that, I think it was more than a year ago now. VS is a big corporate web site owner, they own thousands. The people trying to run the site (moderators) didn't have the permissions needed to keep the site up.

good reading....http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
coleman said:
It was sold a couple of years ago to the third owners. The founder and the second owner were trailblazer-owners and enthusiasts like us. The current owners are Vertical Scope (also known as autoguide.com) a Toronto company that has accumulated about 200 motorsport-related domains and sells ad space to advertisers based on the AGGREGATE of all of the site's membership numbers.

We were mere numbers to sell ads to.

The site was being milked for revenue, and not nurtured.

coleman

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
It was sold a couple of years ago to the third owners. The founder and the second owner were trailblazer-owners and enthusiasts like us. The current owners are Vertical Scope (also known as autoguide.com) a Toronto company that has accumulated about 200 motorsport-related domains and sells ad space to advertisers based on the AGGREGATE of all of the site's membership numbers.

We were mere numbers to sell ads to.

The site was being milked for revenue, and not nurtured.

Thanks, roadie. Shameful. Very glad this new site is up and on its way.

cntinuum

Dec 4, 2011
Trailvoy is the best forum that I am registered with. Sorry to hear about the politics. I look forward to the continued enjoyment of best automotive repair advise I have ever found. Thanks for post on my name in TV. I almost didn't "CLICK ON ME" thinking it was SPAM or a virus. Glad I did so that I found out where the good support for us has moved to.
Thanks,
Dave Jeffries
cntinuum on TV

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, registered right away so I can have my real nickname without a "2" in it. I wasn't on the old site for that long and the karma over there wasn't the best even though I learned a lot. I didn't have any issues with the adverts using Adblock. I removed this site from the block list to help support it.

Of course the challenge will be to build up the knowledge that was over there.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Mooseman said:
Well, registered right away so I can have my real nickname without a "2" in it. I wasn't on the old site for that long and the karma over there wasn't the best even though I learned a lot. I didn't have any issues with the adverts using Adblock. I removed this site from the block list to help support it.

Of course the challenge will be to build up the knowledge that was over there.

We brought most of it with us. :wink:

Reactions: 808_LS_EXT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online