Weird WHINING coming from B-Pillar???

Roggie

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey all,

I have a strange one: When it's cold, a very strange oscillating, whining noise comes from the speaker hole in the b-pillar of my 2002 TB. It only happens when it gets cold. The colder it is, the louder it gets, and it seems basically independent of the key's position in the ignition. it goes away once the machine warms up...

SO...ANY ideas? It started doing it at the end of last winter, but once it warmed up, it went away, so I forgot about it. But... now it's back...

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
There is an HVAC sensor in there I'm almost positive that's what will be making the noise have never seen the problems of a whine from it. You can just unclip that pillar its easy and investigate it,it does have a rotating part so hopefully its just dusty or something.

Roggie

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
There is an HVAC sensor in there I'm almost positive that's what will be making the noise have never seen the problems of a whine from it. You can just unclip that pillar its easy and investigate it,it does have a rotating part so hopefully its just dusty or something.

Great i'll check it out.

Thanks,

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Yep. It's a tiny squirrel cage fan to suck cabin air past the sensor. Only present in the automatic digital HVAC systems. Seeing the grill, many folks think it's a speaker, or a better guess would be the mike for OnStar. But that's hidden in the overhead console so the speakerphone can hear all the occupants, not just the driver.

Roggie

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Yep. It's a tiny squirrel cage fan to suck cabin air past the sensor. Only present in the automatic digital HVAC systems. Seeing the grill, many folks think it's a speaker, or a better guess would be the mike for OnStar. But that's hidden in the overhead console so the speakerphone can hear all the occupants, not just the driver.

Man, ya learn something everyday, thanks guys.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.