weird wear pattern

Enderbygrandpa

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
rotated my tires yesterday and check wear on brakepads. have lots of lining left but noticed that the wear pattern on front side of rotor is about 2" wide (full width of pad) but on backside of rotor wear patter is about 1" wide (half the width of the pad) can see the back pad is the same width as front pad. but only half is really doing any braking. anyone ever had this kind of wear pattern before. note these are still original pads and rotors 113000KM (70000mi)
thks for any info.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Smells like a jammed/tilted caliper piston. Should replace caliper or rebuild it depending on your experience level.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Like the Roadie said , But take a rotor off before you spend any money and make sure the back side is not flaking apart or very rusted and pitted . The inside seems to go bad first on TB's. all of mine were bad on the inside.had to replace.

de3jr88

Dec 8, 2011
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
I had the same issue on my rotors when I did the brakes 2 years ago at about the same mileage as yours. The centre of the inner side of the rotor was wearing but the upper and lower edge was doing nothing. They were so badly corroded and pitted that they were just wearing the pads an not really doing any braking. I decided to just put on new rotors and pads all around and haven't had any issue like that since.

Like it was mentioned earlier, if the edge of the rotor or pad is worn more than the rest, you may have a caliper issue.

Enderbygrandpa

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
thanks for the replys forgot to mention all four brakes are the same. think I'm going to try the brakemotive setup. too bad frt is so much to get it up here $115.00 but still is cheaper than buying local.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I had exactly the same problem on all 4 of my rotors, in fact I took pictures, I'll see if I can find them and post it. Problem isn't the calipers, the rotors themselves rusted and corroded so badly around the outside edge, they tear the hell out of the pads. I was always disappointed in the braking on the TB, and once i saw I had an inch of contact on the backside I knew why. I have been very happy with my Brakemotives.

Front
100_3321.jpg

Rear
100_3323.jpg

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
de3jr88 said:
Not sure what would cause this kind of wear or corrosion but replacing them is probably the only option.

I had to replace my rotors also.
I'd say inferior GM parts with a combination of most people having this issue live where we get snow and salted roads.

miron

Dec 29, 2011
I'm sure Roadie can answer this. The piston seal on my right front caliper is nearly in shreds. Is there a sticky on how to rebuild a caliper or am I better off just buying new? And if I do replace, will SS calipers fit on my '06 SLE or are they too big? I want to put something nice on there vice the OEM gunmetal gray.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online