Weird tick like sound at start up

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
So, I have read through numerous post here and on Trailvoy pages from google and yet to find something close to the symptom on my truck, 2006 9-7X 4.2i.

Recently I got a tune from PCM of NC and hoping it is not that but when I start up my truck, I get this ticking/tapping sound from the passenger side but it does not increase with RPM.

Initially I thought it was a slipping serpentine belt so I took it off and turned it on to hear it and it was still there.

Funny thing is that it will do that for like 15-20 seconds and then the truck settles to the point that you do not feel like it is even on.

The rest of the day, it does not do that and will only do it when I start it in the morning after sitting in the garage.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Cracked exhaust manifold might to this. As it warms up, metal expands and closes the crack.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks Mooseman.
I really hope it is not that cause I am dumping money to get my leaking front diff gaskets replaced and it is expensive.
My 02 TB had a ticking sound that was loader than this and became more evident with load and it ended up being loose manifold bolts. I tightened them all and ticking has been gone since then.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My 02 would randomly start up with a TICK TICK TICK TICK TI-- and then be nice and quiet. Did that for years and over the course of at least 80k miles.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I've got a Tick Tick Tick too but only happens once in a while and if I turn the wheel slightly it goes away and comes back randomly. I haven't dugg into it because well I don't see any ill effect on anything driving or mpg wise.

mfnman88

Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
Buddies TB with 300something K miles has a cracked exhaust manifold. We bought a donor truck from a shop the other day and the guy we got it from asked if we were planning on using the exhaust manifold cause he has a TB with a cracked manifold. Got talking and apparently this is a common issue.:twocents:

Edit: This is for the 4.2

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks to all that responded.
I started the 9-7X this morning and the same ticking from cold start up was evident, from doing the same procedure on my TB when I found the exhaust leak, I put it in gear with foot break and revved it to load and the ticking increased with RPM but once it was warm it got quieter but I can still hear it when I would rev it in drive with the brake.
Looks like I will have something to do this Holiday time off.
I will keep you all posted.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
SOLVED:
Looks like I will need to get the exhaust fully inspected cause the noise is coming from under the passenger side right before the cat.
As it warms up, the noise dies down but I can still hear a tick when I step on it with my foot on the brake coming from this area and not from the engine.
I also get a noise that sounds like metal to metal contact when I go over bumps like something is loose. Checked the end links and they are good.

Reactions: CeeOh-Envoy

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wouldn't surprise me if it is that darn manifold.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online