weird noise. HELP!

jsickz32

Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
So this started randomly one day. I was gonna turn left so i brake and turned and i got this growl/vibration noise that stopped once i came to a complete stop. Didnt make it again until 8 hours later. Again i was gonna turn so i brake and turn and the same noise/vibration happened. The noise seems to be coming from the front and makes the floor vibrate and the engine sound like ita about to stall.

Got home and got the TB up on jackstands to check and saw my that my inner tie rod dust boots were filled with PS fluid. Checked PSreservoir and was dried and it had a burnt smell. I went and bought a new pump with reservoir and replaced thinking maybe the PS pump failed and that was causing the noise but after replacing it the car still made the noise.

I dont know whats causing it. The car has new Moog hubs, brake pads, rotors, AC delco tension, AC delco idler pulley and new AC delco belt. Ive replaced all fluids (trans, diffs, transfer case) less then 15k miles ago. I know my steering rack is leaking but that would cause that? The car steers great . Doesnt pull to the sides or anything. You think maybe cv joints? Its now happening more often and even when going over bumps. Thanks.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I would try jacking it up, turn the wheel the direction it was with noise and try to replicate sound by hand on stands. Try to isolate it.

jsickz32

Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Ive done that. Ive hit everything with a rubber mullet, turn the wheels etc. Even when i try replicate the sound by braking hard or turning fast i cant replicate it. It happens randomly either when braking or going over a bump. I think its a moving part thats causing the noise. Because it'lll stop once i come to a complete stop and i can feel the vibration slowing down as i slow down. I thought my bubs had gone bad already even tho there only 1 year old so i got new ones and replaced them 2 days ago and its still doing it. Im going to replace the rotors, pads today and see if that is the problem.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sounds like the steering rack has seen it's day. I don't know if there are any replaceable seals on the ends of the rack, I believe you just replace the rack as a whole. If you do need to replace the rack I recommend replacing the hoses as well going to the rack.

jsickz32

Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Would a leaking steering rack cause those vibrations tho? I mean it happens when going in a straight line too.. and ive been driving my other car with a leaking rack for 3 years and havent had any problems...

I just noticed my fan cluth has play when moving it up and down. So that means the water pump is bad right?. Would going over a bump or braking cause the pump to cause the noise and vibration?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The rack has replaceable seals, but there are plenty of remanufactured racks in the market. I'd get a reman asap. And the water pump can make the fan hit the shroud and make all sorts of strange noises. Not sure about vibration, but you could always pull the serpentine belt for a few minutes and see if the behavior changes.

jsickz32

Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
the roadie said:
The rack has replaceable seals, but there are plenty of remanufactured racks in the market. I'd get a reman asap. And the water pump can make the fan hit the shroud and make all sorts of strange noises. Not sure about vibration, but you could always pull the serpentine belt for a few minutes and see if the behavior changes.

Hey roadie i remember you from Trailvoy.
And the noise happens randomly. The vibration/noise doesnt happen all the time. Today on my way to work happend 3 times in the 20 miles i drove. Again i pulled over and the noise stopped. Its very hard to replicate the noise because it will happened when im braking or just go over a bump. And when i try to replicated by smashing on the brakes or driving over every bump i see nothing.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
jsickz32 said:
Would a leaking steering rack cause those vibrations tho?

You are forcing hydraulic fluid at high pressure past a seal, probably the vibration you are feeling since it's when you are turning. As far as the water pup goes, generally they shouldn't wiggle but watch the large black pulley near the front of the motor and if it wobbles then it's the pump, or your bolts are loose but I doubt that.

With these motors it's generally wise just to replace related parts at the same time. Water pump/fan clutch, thermostat/ECT sensor. In your case, I would change all 4 unless the stat was just changed.

jsickz32

Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Well i found what was wrong with it. One of the pistons in the calipers was stuck causing one side of the brake pad to rub on the rotor and that was causing the vibrations and noise. I replaced the caliper and it hasnt happened in a whole day now.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sweet. :thumbsup: Now you just need to address the P/S fluid coming out of the boot on the rack. Hopefully in the end you don't need to replace the rack.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online