Weird noise from engine

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I have a 2006 Envoy with a 4.2. Lately it has been making a noise kind of similar to when a power steering pump is going bad, but it happens even if I am not turning the wheel. It is hard to tell but it might change with RPM.

I did read another thread about someone with a similar issue, but I don't know if I would describe this as wining as that person did, but I suppose it could be.

I am fairly sure it is not the power steering pump because the noise doesn't change when turning whereas from experience in the past it would if it was that.

Would love to fix this myself if at all possible so any help finding the problem would be great. I can record the noise and post if nessisary.

Thanks all!

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
acpowell said:
I have a 2006 Envoy with a 4.2. Lately it has been making a noise kind of similar to when a power steering pump is going bad, but it happens even if I am not turning the wheel. It is hard to tell but it might change with RPM.

I did read another thread about someone with a similar issue, but I don't know if I would describe this as wining as that person did, but I suppose it could be.

I am fairly sure it is not the power steering pump because the noise doesn't change when turning whereas from experience in the past it would if it was that.

Would love to fix this myself if at all possible so any help finding the problem would be great. I can record the noise and post if nessisary.

Thanks all!

The idler pulleys on these trucks go bad constantly, might be a good place to check. They are also cheap and easy to replace

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
SBUBandit said:
The idler pulleys on these trucks go bad constantly, might be a good place to check. They are also cheap and easy to replace

:iagree:

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
SBUBandit said:

okay, that sounds like a great place to start. Only issue is that I am a spark plug and oil change kind of mechanic not a, find out which pully is bad, mechanic.

How do I tell if the idler pulley is bad?

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
acpowell said:
okay, that sounds like a great place to start. Only issue is that I am a spark plug and oil change kind of mechanic not a, find out which pully is bad, mechanic.

How do I tell if the idler pulley is bad?

Got a stethoscope or even a big screwdriver? In general with any pulley/bearing sound, when you are hearing the sound, hold the end of a big screwdriver or even a wooden dowel, to different suspect areas, just be careful not to touch moving parts. Touch the dowel to the bracket the idler mounts on, and hold your ear to the other end. You'll hear it if thats the bad part. works for lots of other noises as well to find the source area of the sound

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Got a stethoscope or even a big screwdriver? In general with any pulley/bearing sound, when you are hearing the sound, hold the end of a big screwdriver or even a wooden dowel, to different suspect areas, just be careful not to touch moving parts. Touch the dowel to the bracket the idler mounts on, and hold your ear to the other end. You'll hear it if thats the bad part. works for lots of other noises as well to find the source area of the sound

As dangerous as this sounds, I will give it a try. thanks. I will let you know if I am missing any fingers or if it worked out.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
acpowell said:
As dangerous as this sounds, I will give it a try. thanks. I will let you know if I am missing any fingers or if it worked out.

lol, Like I said, avoid the moving parts.

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
"Avoid the moving parts" I shall remember that for always. No, but seriously I will tray that when I get home.

BSanders84

Apr 27, 2012
Having the same problem and after lots of lurking and reading i can confirm that my problem is the idle pulley. just went and bought the new one. anywhere you go should be under $20. simple one bolt fix.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
BSanders84 said:
Having the same problem and after lots of lurking and reading i can confirm that my problem is the idle pulley. just went and bought the new one. anywhere you go should be under $20. simple one bolt fix.

It's pretty common for this platform. I don't know how often I am sitting in traffic and here one go by, and I can tell its a TB just from the idler pulley whine.

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Easy way to check the idler pully is to rub a little oil around the back and see if the noise changes or disapears. The old tool to ear dos'nt always work. The cam bearing makes the same noise in the same spot.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online