Weird issue

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hi everyone. Have had a weird issue for about 3 weeks now with my 2003 ltz. The first time it stalled out on me and the new cluster needles went crazy and the DIC said engine oil low stop engine. Oil is full. Second time stalled while diving about 35 mph and the abs light came on. No others brakes are fine. Coming out from the store last night started then stalled right away. Everytime i just take key out, restart it and it's fine. Cleaned the throttle body and replaced air filter. Any ideas?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did you perform any work to the vehicle just prior to this happening 3 weeks ago?

Could be the oil level sesnsor...also, doesn't sound like the issue, but check the signal lead going to the alternator.

Also check the voltage with a DMM with the engine running. Mainly to cover these bases...curious to any previous work performed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, there was no oil level sensor for 03. It was an 02 thing only. You would get a "shut off engine" message only if the oil pressure is low or the sensor was defective.

If it stalled, it's normal that you would get that message as there is no oil pressure since the engine is stalled. The weird electrical issues sound like an ignition switch issue. I would start there as a quick, cheap and easy shotgun first. Also check the grounds which have been known to cause such weirdness as well.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
No work was performed except for the removal of the throttle body for cleaning. Batt. was disconnected for about an hour. I did have an ignition switch issue about 4 months ago. Would not release the pin so i could turn the key all the way to remove it but that seemed to resolve itself after about 2 weeks and been fine since. I will probably replace it anyway. Which grounds should i check under hood or in the truck?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Beacon

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I would think about swapping out the ignition switch, that thing can cause weird stuff to happen. Doesn't hurt to have a spare one on hand anyway, and they aren't super expensive. At least you could rule it out.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
I replaced the ignition switch yesturday and, so far so good. Still runs rough but at least now it starts every time i turn the key. Will check grounds this week and hopefully find out why it's running rough. Thanks so much for the help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is the rough running at idle only? Could need to clean the throttle body especially if the battery was disconnected.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
It should eventually set a code (might have one pending) if it is running rough - might want to have it scanned to see if there is anything there.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
If the issue comes back, before you throw more money at it check your battery. Turn it off, let it sit for at least 10 minutes and use a volt meter directly on the posts. It should be at 12.7 volts or higher. Any lower and it cause all sorts of weird things with sensors and other electronics.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online