NEED HELP Weird issue on highway

pell

Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Pelham, NH
Driving last night on the highway after about 40 miles, the trailer blazer I owned for the past 2 years, (which I have no major problems with now has 217K miles) made a strange (gear whining) sound while driving about 70 MPH. Then it seemed like a bouncing issue in the right rear tire area. I rest stop was coming up, I pulled in thinking it might be a tire issue. Got out checked the tires everything looked fine. I left the engine running, when back in the truck the 4H was on the 4L was flashing even though it was in 2 wheel drive. For some reason I turned the switch to 4L back to 2 the lights went out and drove home with no problems. Any one have this happen?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
What year is it? Could be the switch or the TCCM, but the TCCM issues really only happened on 02s.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be a dirty switch. With the truck off, go through all the settings a few times to clean the contacts out.

The bad TCCM problem would just fail on startup. Lights would all flash and go out, then the service 4x4 light would come on.

Reactions: Matt

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The switch is inexpensive and crazy easy to replace. It can be carefully pried out the front of the dash with a small screwdriver. Just be very careful and you can save having to take the dash out.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I had a similar issue on my 02 Envoy, got inside when it was cold out and saw the modes flashing on the switch. Tried turning it to 4Hi and nothing, tried A4WD and nothing. Searched the old site and saw someone suggest turning to the different modes while the truck was off to help clean the contacts and that fixed it. The problem itself was intermittent, didn't hear any of the noises from the transfer case to signal it was switching when I selected the different ranges and no CEL was set either.

pell

Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Pelham, NH
I am going to make a 90 mile highway trip today. I will see what happens. Seems like an easy fix, I will replace the switch. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online