weird cross bars

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
On my 05 TB LT, factory roof rack and cross bars, the bars front edge is at an angle, front edge pointing down.What is up with the angle on the factory cross bars? I have a very difficult time getting ski racks or my Thule box to properly connect to these bars. Shouldn't they be level with the ground?
I would like to replace them with normal cross bars but it is difficult to find any that fit into the factory rack.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My guess is the angle is for aerodynamics/noise.

The factory rack is a little weird. The rails on the roof have those long solid sections that you can't tie anything to either. Almost like it is a form over function rack.

I came close to fabbing some DIY cross bars out of square tubing with extra spots to tie stuff to (mostly for sticking ladders for work on), but never got around to actually spending the time/money doing it.

Reactions: Reprise

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
For this same reason I opted to change it all out rack and bars. I grabbed a set of Saab roof rails installed them and a set of aftermarket bars. Now I can have a combination of stuff up on top.20170324_101005.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use 1 inch square Thule bars for crossbars

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They are not direct fit. I used 3/8 bolt n washer which slides right in the stock channel and they are fully adjustable then. You can do the same thing with standard 1 inch square aluminum tube from any big box hardware store/lowes/home depot/menards

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
Do you have the Thule part numbers? I looked on the Thule site and it said they don't have anything that fits 2005 TB. I'd like to set mine up like yours.

Medic3166

Mar 26, 2017
NJ
For this same reason I opted to change it all out rack and bars. I grabbed a set of Saab roof rails installed them and a set of aftermarket bars. Now I can have a combination of stuff up on top.View attachment 80990
That looks awesome! I was going to order a track-mount foot kit for my rhino rack bars, but with our tall racks it would look goofy as hell. I like the clamp mount racks.

Reactions: xavierny25

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No. I have 2 bars of 1 inch square tube like the link shows, no foot or pack. Just the bars and a couple bolts n washers that slide right in the stock track.

Thule Roof Rack Load Bars, Set of 2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online