weird brake problem

duckyweed

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Staten Island New York
i have an 02 TB ltz 4wd the last few days when I hit he brakes I notice it would pull hard right. but the weird thing is that the steering wheel goes left at the same time, at first I thought it was me fighting the pull but I've let go of the steering wheel when i saw it was safe to do so and it is actual doing it itself. I did not pull the wheels off yet looking for advise on what to look for when I do.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
your slide pins may be hanging up or your caliper is also hanging. When you take the right front wheel off, check the slide pins on the brake where the caliper is mounted to it. They should slide in and out freely. If they don't, don't even bother cleaning the rust out of them, just heat them up and twist the slide pins out of the bore and clean the bore of all old grease and then buy a new slide pin and grease at the store.

If the slide pins are sliding in and out without any hanging, check that the brake pads are sliding on the anti-rattle clips freely. If it is bound up, try to take a stainless steel brush to the rattle clips to clean them up and then put some brake grease on the rattle clips where the ears of the brake pads mount into.

Before you bolt it up, take a bar that is big enough to go over both pistons of the caliper and use a c-clamp to depress them. If it has a lot of resistance or one moves easy and the other is hard, you have a failing caliper and you could get it rebuilt but I myself just replace the whole caliper.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If it is pulling one way while the wheel is tipping the other you may have more than one sticking.

Might as well inspect the brakes all around while your at it.

duckyweed

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Staten Island New York
when i did the front brakes a few months ago all weare was normal an I di put a ittle grease on the clips . I believe the rear passenger side slide pins do need to be cleaned and greased. I repalsed them a few weeks agoand found out ater I replased them what was causing heavy wear on the inside pad . I will check all of them tomorrow. thanks for the advice

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Also if your slide pins are sticking, your pads will not have even wear from one side to the other of the same pad. If that is the case, replace the slide pins and clean up the bore and put a good amount of grease on the new/clean pin and replace your pads that were warped.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's also a good point. Check all arms/joints/etc.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Another place to check is a collapsed brake hose. You won't see it since they tend to get closed up on the inside as the hose deteriorates.

Two things happen, the fluid is slow to work the caliper and it also keeps the caliper from releasing right away.

When the pad hangs up, it gets hot and starts to fade. When you hit the brakes, the hot pad doesn't grip as much and the wheel will turn to the cold pad. Generally you can stab the brakes and the wheel will jerk then straighten out. Also a slow acting caliper will also initially bias pressure to the opposite caliper.

If you replace one brake hose, you need to replace both.

Reactions: duckyweed

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Good to hear. Did you have any clunking or other noises going on over bumps? Sounds like it would make a racket with bushings worn that bad.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online