Weatherstrip adhesives - permanent vs 'semi-permanent'

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Been working in the tailgate area, both with installing a backup cam and replacing the license pocket perimeter gasket (my usual '2-fer' type of repair...actually a 4-fer, but I'll skip the details on that for now.)

For the gasket, I'm thinking the 3M 8008 (black) is what I want, as it appears to be more or less permanent, and referenced in another thread. No problem there.

However, for the weatherstrip on the inner perimeter of the hatch (where you peel it back to get to the headliner,) I want something strong but that will allow me to pull off the strip again (because odds are, I'll need to access that headliner again for something or other, as this is already the 2nd time I've removed it (last time was for the CHMSL wire)

Looking at the residue on the sheet metal from peeling it back, it doesn't look black; more off-white, maybe 'cream' (I know it's been on 15yrs, and that affects it as well. I don't think it has enough residual tack any longer to just push back in place & assume it will stay in place / remain leak-free.

I know 3M also makes a 'yellow' weatherstrip adhesive, also in a tube format. I'd prefer a spray-type for this application (less mess, less permanence, can peel back again w/o ripping the rubber strip apart.

Suggestions based on experience appreciated :smile:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Can't much go wrong with RTV, comes in a variety of colors and you can always get it off. The only downside is that you would have to tape things in place until the RTV sets.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I do appreciate the link, but that looks like it would hold even *better* than the 3M black.

I'm actually looking for the opposite - good holding power, but able to still separate cleanly from the surface it was mounted to.

If the weatherstrip were to rip, there are cleaners / solvents to remove what was left behind - but it would be hella expensive to replace the weatherstrip (unless I got lucky at the pick-n-pull) :smile:

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I once read in an older 1990's Hot Rod magazine (quick and easy tips) that some people were putting a light layer of chapstick onto metal surfaces first, then RTV over it. If and when they needed to be separated, the RTV would peel away with ease due to the chapstick. No, I never tried it, but it was something that I remembered over the years.

If it does in-fact work, I'd use the chapstick and Urethane Windshield Adhesive. Once dry, that is some strong stuff!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
What about rubber cement?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Just saw this stuff at AutoZone it mayfit the bill for what you need.20180309_153454.jpg20180309_153522.jpg
Seems like it will stay tacky for a fair amount of time.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That is not the stuff you want if you plan on a clean removal. It's great stuff but, after awhile it is about as easy to get off as getting chewing gum out of a carpet.
I've used the 3M version for headlight resealing and it's great for that but, it can make a mess, don't be fooled by it's benign appearance in the package...Mike.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online