ANNOUNCEMENT We need the community's help

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
We're enlisting the help of our visitors and members... we've recently made some very popular changes to our site and now we need to ensure that we can keep it going. Up until now, our site has survived solely on Google Adsense, member donations, and membership upgrades. From time to time, we'd need an injection of money from the administration team. Google Adsense has been very slow lately, as well as donations and membership upgrades.

It's time to pay our hosting bill for the next 12 months and we're asking for your help. We need to raise $1,000 to cover our hosting through the end of next year.

If and when your able, you can help support us by any of the following:
  1. Make a donation
  2. Upgrade your membership
  3. Disable adblocker on GMTN and give our ads a quick look from time to time
  4. Post eBay and Amazon links to topic-related listings & products in the forums
  5. Use our links to make purchases on eBay and Amazon
  6. Spread the word about our site, our Google rank is not very impressive currently
  7. Offer items or services to be used in raffles held on GMTN
Other ideas are welcome, if you think it can help support our own community, we'd be glad to consider it.

We are going to be adding some more topic-related ads from eBay and Amazon soon. We'll probably stick them on the sidebar for most usergroups, but we'll also raise the amount of ads displayed to unregistered/logged out users.

We appreciate every member's contributions, whether it be financial or useful content that we can offer to others in need.

Thank you!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How's this for an idea. Whenever you want to buy ANYTHING on eBay or Amazon, related to the forum or not, post the link in the appropriate section and then come back, click on the link and buy it. Related to GMT's or not, who cares? It's free money for the Nation for the little effort it takes to do this. We could have an "anything not related" thread (diapers, nick knacks, personal hygiene products) and continue to have individual threads for real items of interest (parts, tools, LED's)

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Just a suggestion. For an actual store, what if we did like a gmtnation calendar. We already do the photo contests, set up a set for 12, then everyone votes. Produce x amount then sell those off. It gets the community involved and it'll generate revenue.

Or maybe a giveaway? Pay a dollar or 2 for an entry and see of we can get a sponsor to donate something to raffle off? Just thinking out loud here.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I like the ideas :yes:

Question, does the site make more money on ads if we click them or does the site just get paid to have the ads there? If it makes more money by people clicking ads, I'll click 'em lol. :yes:

Reactions: dmanns67

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I certainly do NOT want the admins shelling out any money, after all the long hours many put into this site!

Edit: Done.
Thank you!

I know it has been talked about before, but I think selling GMTN merchandise would be a great way to raise money. Not talking about group buys, but if I want a hoodie today, I can go to the online store and order one.
We're totally willing to sell branded merchandise, but it's always expensive to do, and then we have to raise the price to make any revenue off of it... by that time, no one wants to pay $45 for a t-shirt. Other problems we've had is outsourcing merchandise to members, but then having "shipping time" complaints and other conflicts that cause problems.

If anyone has an idea, bring it up. CafePress was a pain in the ass.

Just a suggestion. For an actual store, what if we did like a gmtnation calendar. We already do the photo contests, set up a set for 12, then everyone votes. Produce x amount then sell those off. It gets the community involved and it'll generate revenue.

Or maybe a giveaway? Pay a dollar or 2 for an entry and see of we can get a sponsor to donate something to raffle off? Just thinking out loud here.
Again, the upfront cost is a concern, but if the interest is there, let's find a way to do it. We don't want to make profits from members... we just want to generate enough revenue to cover operating costs.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
On t-shirts... I have a friend that may be able to pull off some at a very reasonable price. Depending on what it is and how intricate it goes...

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I like the ideas :yes:

Question, does the site make more money on ads if we click them or does the site just get paid to have the ads there? If it makes more money by people clicking ads, I'll click 'em lol. :yes:
I cannot answer that question without violating terms and conditions set forth by Google :dunce:

I have already offered to head up the store idea, but we need money to have merchandise produced which is a problem. This will not really be a money maker for the site because of investments. I would however still be happy to take this on if we can source the merchandise.
Just come up with some ideas and I'll do what can from a technical aspect to make it happen.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Working on it...

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Hmm. Good one Google lol.

-Could also work with High Voltage and see if he can work out a deal on decals so that the site can make money selling them.. I need one. :wink:

I can do the decals. My brother has a vinyl cutting machine at his home that I've had him use to cut up a few things for me. I just need the vector if that's what its called get to him to do them. I'll she'll out for the vinyl and with all the favors my brother owes me he's not going to mind printing out a 500 or whatever amount we need.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I can do the decals. My brother has a vinyl cutting machine at his home that I've had him use to cut up a few things for me. I just need the vector if that's what its called get to him to do them. I'll she'll out for the vinyl and with all the favors my brother owes me he's not going to mind printing out a 500 or whatever amount we need.
So who has the vector? Or who has the final say so on what the gmt nation logo should look like? I've seen some of the guys already have the decals around here.

I can have them done and mailed to whoever is in charge of the store/sales and they can do what they do.

I can't remember where I had the idea for mine at but I'm pretty sure it was here some where. I've also seen the one with I believe 3 colors.

Attachments

• 20150927_123154.jpg
    20150927_123154.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 12

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I don't remember the original member that made it happen with decals. With the software upgrades, my conversations list doesn't go back far enough to research it.

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Yeah, there were a couple of people doing it, but I have the files and stuff for most of it... I just have to find them.

What is it that we're looking for? The colored logo, the horizontal logo, a TrailVoy logo?

Reactions: Robbabob

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Yeah, there were a couple of people doing it, but I have the files and stuff for most of it... I just have to find them.

What is it that we're looking for? The colored logo, the horizontal logo, a TrailVoy logo?

I'd leave that up for a vote on which one or 2 you guess want me to print. I'll mail them out to I'm guessing @BlazingTrails so he can start up the store.

My brother also does t-shirts but not very often but I can talk him into it.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I like the old fashioned trailvoy logos :rotfl:

I like the colored ones but they're a little too bam in your face for me to rock. I know the "banner style" ones were popular.

Reactions: xavierny25

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

I like the colored ones but they're a little too bam in your face for me to rock. I know the "banner style" ones were popular.
I like mine, its subtle and the ford guys that live by me give me strange looks when I drive past.
Edit: and 'merica :2thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20141107_171514-1.jpg
    20141107_171514-1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 18

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I like mine, its subtle and the ford guys that live by me give me strange looks when I drive past.
Edit: and 'merica :2thumbsup:

That's the one I was looking for with the red white and blue. Now can I get the vector for it.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I'd leave that up for a vote on which one or 2 you guess want me to print. I'll mail them out to I'm guessing @BlazingTrails so he can start up the store.

My brother also does t-shirts but not very often but I can talk him into it.
I'm down :yes:

I like the banner style decals myself. Jeff was supposed to send me some but never did. I hope he is ok ?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm down :yes:

I like the banner style decals myself. Jeff was supposed to send me some but never did. I hope he is ok ?

Isn't the banner style similar to what I have or is it something totally different?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Made the call he'll have them done for me for Sunday. @BlazingTrails pm me your mailing address or email me @ gmail.com I have the same username.
I'll have them mailed out to you Monday or Tuesday.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Made the call he'll have them done for me for Sunday. @BlazingTrails pm me your mailing address or email me @ gmail.com I have the same username.
I'll have them mailed out to you Monday or Tuesday.
Well done xavierny25! You're pretty quick at getting things done. That's awesome :thumbsup:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I talked to Jeff a couple of months ago. He said he's really busy with his job lately. And nice on the decals.

I think I'm going to talk to my friend and see if I can get a t-shirt made anyway... I want one lol.

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@BlazingTrails I was able to pick up some of the Decals from my brother this evening. Unfortunately he wasn't able print out the amount I wanted but he was able to play around with a few different ideas according to the info you guys gave me. I'll mail these out to you first and he should have the rest by Friday for me to mail those out as well.

Attachments

• 20151025_202459.jpg
    20151025_202459.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 18

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd love a couple of the larger banner type once available. :biggrin:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I was thinking about what I would want that carried the GMTNation logo around me almost all the time and make me proud to do so.... and for me... nothing is more important or inviting than my first cup of coffee in the day. I would also occasionally wear the logo tee shirt...as long as I could find it buried in a laundry basket in the garage.... Uh....nahhh maybe I'll do some laundry later... But a beautiful and durable coffee mug from either coffeemugs.com or 4imprint.com that can be bought in the right style in bulk for a very low price and either re-sold for a reasonable price or raffled as a His and Her set... Well... Perhaps this item would have the right "curb appeal" out in the nation. I am enjoying a nice cup of hot coffee right now while this idea is percolating in my coconut. What do you think Moose?

Reactions: Tiggerr

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I could use another mug. I only have a couple.

tert72

Apr 21, 2016
IL
ok maybe i am dumb, but how do i make a donation? i went to donations link but dont see how to donate....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The mods and members appreciate it! Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online