Waterpump leak? Video within

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Hi all,
I believe this is a sign my waterpump is on the way out. Please review to confirm my suspicions.

Thanks,
Adam

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
It looks like it could be the water pump but the leak is also close to where the gasket is. Look at it from underneath and see if you can see the leak coming from the weep hole on the water pump.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yup, V8 with the double serp belts.

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
It looks like it could be the water pump but the leak is also close to where the gasket is. Look at it from underneath and see if you can see the leak coming from the weep hole on the water pump.

You're thinking it may be the gasket only causing the leak?

I know the video makes it hard to make stuff out but isn't that a V8 we are looking at?

Yes, it has the 5.3l

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is what threw me off from suggesting a possible solution:

NT1078PROFILE.jpg

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I agree with the others - it looks off-center, more like where the t-stat is. Mine did leak from there, but it was b/c I had replaced the pump (& t-stat), tightened the t-stat housing exactly to spec, and then towing caused the bolts to loosen / leak. I fixed that with an extra couple ft/lb, along with some blue locker.

IIRC, when I tracked down that t-stat leak, the fluid wasn't 'directly' underneath, which also makes it hard to figure out, without seeing it directly.

It's hard to see in that area. I remember having to remove my airbox in order to actually 'see' the leak. One of those 'mirrors on a stick' helps, but it's still hard.

Depending on your mileage, I'd say go ahead and R&R the pump / t-stat. The pump tends to go south between 80-120K mi. If you're going for one, may as well do both. Good opportunity to convert the fan clutch, too, if you've had to replace one of those.

On the t-stat - if you have the 'old' housing, you have to use the 'old' thermostat. They're not interchangeable (although you can swap housings / t-stats, if you want the newer one). I have a Gates WP & a Stant t-stat; others say ACDelco is the way to go on these.

To bleed the air from the system after you've got everything back together, undo the throttle body hose on your right side (driver's side) as you fill the reservoir. Long needlenose helps here, as the clamp's not easy to get to (nothing is, with the 5.3 in this truck)

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online