Water Pumps

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
I replaced the water pump 2 years ago with a carquest unit with a lifetime warranty. When I was recharging the AC I noticed that there was a quarter inch of oscillation at the fan. It spun smoothly on the clutch, but when the pump was turning it had the movement.
So I removed the pump and found 30 thousandths of radial runout at the tip of the flange Somehow the front bearing shifted.....
New pump from warranty exchange has 5 thousandths in. radial runout and 3 lateral runout, so even the new one isn't perfect. I don't think the quality control at the Mexican factory that made the pump is very high.
Has anyone else checked their pumps to see how well made they are? I'm disappointed in Carquest - I hope I don't have to replace them every 2 years......

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Problem is you don't know who supplies them for CQ. I had a Gates that lasted barely 2 years. Put in an ACDelco that lasted several years until the truck itself was scrapped.

Lifetime warranty is just a marketing gimmick. They know the majority will not bother coming back or the vehicle is sold off.

Reactions: sunliner

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
It would not surprise me to find that the $20 chinese pump is the best of the bunch :dielaugh:
Advance Auto Parts/Carquest get their pumps from Juan Valdez in Mexico - when he is not delivering coffee or marijuana his saddlebags and backpack are loaded with waterpumps:tiphat:

But we need accurate measurements to really know......
At 5 thousandths of runout, the movement at the fan edge is tolerable. I suspect that what makes a long lasting pump is a precisely machined shaft and flange with near zero runout. Otherwise the hardened steel bearing race acts like a hammer in the soft aluminum housing and gradually widens the tolerances

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online