Water pumps whine like this? Video...

manhatton

Original poster
May 26, 2012
I've got a whine.

Replaced idler and tensioner pulleys.
Removed belt completely and whine was gone.
Tried short belt (70.5") to bypass AC pulley, whine remained.
Alternator was recently replaced.
Belt looks good, minor cracking nothing bad (Gatorback).

This leaves power steering and water pump, no?

Using a "listening stick" of sorts did not immediately condemn the PS pump, and I'm not trying to slip anything through the moving belt to listen to the block.

The water pump is not moving in it's position, and doesn't clunk. The last time one failed it made the typical clunking that I would associate with that failure.

Anyone have a WP sound like this before failure?

http://youtu.be/H3nTFIvK6Ts

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'd guess PS pump first. How many miles, and have you ever renewed the fluid using the ol' turkey baster trick?

manhatton

Original poster
May 26, 2012
203k.

Twice. Once in the last 5k.

I would think it was that as well, but the sound seems to be loudest in the center of the bay. Ever heard a WP do this Roadie?

Niklaus

Apr 18, 2014
This is more than likely the power steering pump. My dad had this same exact sound in his Trailblazer and it was gone once the PS pump was changed.
I hear a similar whine in a lot of TB's and Envoy's that I see around.
Seems like this is a common problem.

My Envoy had a bad water pump and it was wobbling making the belt screech because it was being pushed on a pulley. No whining though.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would say the PS pump as well. I have had to replace my water pump twice and it had a chirping sound and wobble.

Up And Down

Oct 25, 2012
I would try spraying down the idler pulley really well first and see if that changes the sound. I know that I have changed mine 2 or 3 times already. The sound is usually different but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a bad bearing on the idler.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Ps pump for sure. I have same noise but not that bad yet. Really chirps up with higher rpm and turning the wheel. I'm just waiting for it to arrive. One question for the forum is, can I remove a hose and have the pump remove most of the old fluid? Would like to start with fresh fluid with a new pump.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My PS pump has a nice whine to it also. Died twice, resurrected twice, I have a spare but haven't messed with it yet and it is still working, so.... lol yeah.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Seen some other posts on turning over engine but not letting it run by pulling a fuel fuse and letting it drain through the cooler line. Will have to look into that closer. New pump enroute from AZ and 20% off so I added a tensioner too while I am at it, it looked a but jumpy while checking the ps pump. Surely new fluid is a must and common sense to me. So once again gmt has saved me $$$$$$...love it!

manhatton

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Quick update....

Not the PS pump. Pretty annoyed at this point. Thought for a second it might be the Gatorback, however the whine persisted with the short belt, too.

As far as flushes, I wouldn't bother running the motor to flush. As long as both wheels are in the air, going lock to lock a few dozen times should cycle through a few quarts and get you to clear fluid.

Flatbroke

Apr 27, 2014
I had a similar problem on my 06 trailblazer so replaced the serpentine belt idler pulley bearing and that did the trick.

good luck

manhatton

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Thought I had this figured out....

A whine from near the water pump? Fan clutch! (I did the '08 swap so it's not electronic.)

Well, that's also not it...

Thinking I'm going to have to swallow my pride and get it looked at. Just wanted to see if anyone could think of something else ...

Recap:
NEW
Alternator
Idler pulley
Tensioner pulley
Power steering pump
Water pump
Fan clutch
Belt

I didn't replace the tensioner arm, but can't imagine that would create this much noise.

Mathoran

May 3, 2012
Did it just start on its own one day or after changing something? From the video it almost sounds to me like the belt is rubbing itself or something.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Can you take the fan and clutch off, and run it and listen with a stethoscope?

manhatton

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Mathoran said:
Did it just start on its own one day or after changing something? From the video it almost sounds to me like the belt is rubbing itself or something.
Somewhat gradual, but wasn't too long after the alternator install. I suppose it could be chewing the belt, but neither was obviously frayed. I'll have to give it a closer look.

Texan said:
Can you take the fan and clutch off, and run it and listen with a stethoscope?
Very well could. We'll see what the belt inspection turns up.

manhatton

Original poster
May 26, 2012
Bad alternator from AZ.

I should've tried this earlier, but was discouraged when the guy on the phone said they'd have to test it to give me a new one. Turned out it failed their test.

Thanks all for the replies.

KellieW

Oct 21, 2014
I just purchased a 03 Trailblazer, it had a new alternator and what appeared to be a old worn belt, by the time I made it to the shop the belt was chewed up, the shop put a new belt on and 5 miles later that one was chewed up, back to the shop I went and they said I needed a tensioner pully, 5 miles later I had no power steering and all my power steering fluid had leaked out, back to the shop and it needed a power steering pump, ok so now I have a new belt, tensioner pully and power steering pump, 3 blocks later service engine soon light is on. If it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all. Any suggestions on what would have made the service engine light to come on after replacing the power steering pump? Any suggestions would help because I am starting to think I just purchased a hunk of junk. :no: Thanks in advance for any info here.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Glad you made it over! :smile: first things first, we need to know the codes that made the check engine light come on before we can help ya out too much.. Most auto part stores will read the codes for free. Once we know the codes we can help ya figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.

Reactions: dmanns67

MetalAnon

Jan 12, 2020
Minnesota
I've got a whine.

Replaced idler and tensioner pulleys.
Removed belt completely and whine was gone.
Tried short belt (70.5") to bypass AC pulley, whine remained.
Alternator was recently replaced.
Belt looks good, minor cracking nothing bad (Gatorback).

This leaves power steering and water pump, no?

Using a "listening stick" of sorts did not immediately condemn the PS pump, and I'm not trying to slip anything through the moving belt to listen to the block.

The water pump is not moving in it's position, and doesn't clunk. The last time one failed it made the typical clunking that I would associate with that failure.

Anyone have a WP sound like this before failure?

Video is private... I ealize this is a 6 year old thread but i have been looking for videos of TB whines trying to determine what my problem may be but video is private... :/

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably ain't gonna happen as the OP hasn't logged on in 2 years. You could start a thread with a video of your own.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online