Water Pump

VoyDude

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
So my water pump went out on me and I am going to be replacing it tomorrow. I read through the threads here and on the OS. I am a little confused on what brand works best with my 04 Envoy. I know some people were experiencing vibration after replacing and using aftermarket (ex. Duralast) parts. Any suggestions? I am going to try to pick up AC Delco but I am kind of in a hurry to fix it since I need the car for work. Don't have the luxury of ordering and waiting for an oem part to arrive. Thanks in advance for the help.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
Just replaced the fan clutch & water pump a couple weeks ago on my TB. I got the pump from Autozone, it's a new (not reman) pump. Worked fine for me and I don't notice any vibration. I put a Duralast pump on my 97 pickup 2 years ago and have not had any problems either. For the price, you can't beat it plus you get a lifetime warranty. Just make sure you use a torque wrench so you don't strip out the pump bolts. I think it's something like 84 in-lbs, Not ft-lbs.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
I put a duralast pump on ours in may and I have no vibrations so far, and its 89lbs for torque on the bolts.

VoyDude

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
So I installed the water pump last week. It's a MasterPro from the local O'Reilly. I went ahead and also changed the upper and lower radiator hoses, belt, and gave her some new coolant. So far she is running nicely. No vibration, noise or anything of the sort as reported in other threads. She does have a slightly different feel but nothing bad. I ran her to about 100mph on the highway earlier today and she ran smoothly. Oh and the water pump came with a lifetime warranty which is nice. This job, I should mention, was a total PITA! Luckily I had some beers and music to ease the pain. Only question I have is this...I didn't have a torque wrench so I just tightened the pump bolts as tight as I could. Is this ok? I'm thinking about heading out to the store to pick one up this weekend and then making sure the bolts are good and tight. Has anyone else tightened up the bolts without a torque wrench? If so have you had any problems?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
VoyDude said:
... I just tightened the pump bolts as tight as I could. Is this ok? ...
No. It's risky, and they might break as the temperature goes up and down. Numerous members have broken them, and then you have to take the radiator and AC condenser out to drill out the broken part.

VoyDude

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Yikes! :eek:I definitely don't want that to happen. The last thing I need to worry about are broken bolts. Well, looks like I am going to be dealing with that fan clutch again. Gonna head to the store now and pick up a torque wrench. Thanks again Roadie.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
VoyDude said:
So just to be sure....its 89lbs on the torque wrench?

Yes, BUT, it's 89 INCH lbs., NOT foot lbs. (Or 7.4 ft. lbs.)
It's best to get a torque wrench that reads in inch lbs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online