Water Pump Threads

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Can someone please confirm the fan clutch to water pump thread is right hand or left. I think it’s left but that’s why I’m asking just not sure before I began applying lots of torque on the nut to loosen it.

Much thanks!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Video might actually save you a LOT of Time and Effort on performing the Water Pump R&R:

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Thanks MRRSM! Super fast reply. My application is the 4.2 L not the V8. It appears the thread is indeed right hand form this video. The nut is super tight, I have performed this about 2 years ago just forgot the thread direction. I like the fan retention trick for sure and suppose it will work on the 4.2L. I use a special tool that allows a ratchet drive to hold the clutch while cranking on the large clutch nut. Possibly once the clutch nut is loose, I could remove the special holder from the clutch then replace with the (2) 30mm m8 bolts to hold the fan to clutch captive.

Thank again for the video and quick response.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Your Vehicle Profile indicates that your Engine is the 5.3L V8... Nonetheless... You should visit this Link and view The BEST " How to R&R The GM 4.2l Water Pump" Procedures around that was generously penned by another Great GMTN Member... @Matt:

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
V8 and I6 use the same clutch. Both are normal right hand thread.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Thank to Matt for the really nice write up on the 4.2L water pump/fan clutch R&R. I had never seen this prior to your reply. Thanks again to MSRRM for the very helpful I extracted in applying my current repair of the 4.2L Envoy. My personal vehicle is the Denali with the 5.3L but my daughter’s ride is the 4.2L which has the issue.

On another note and in an effort to offer contribution, I discovered a simple tool made by an individual sold on EBay that also simplifies removal of the large to water pump pulley. Happy to post pictures and last know link to the inventors site. I paid around $13.00 as I remember.

Thanks also to Mooseman for answering my follow up question.

This is a terrific site and very happy to have discovered it. I hope to be a contributor in the future.

Thanks to all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online