Water pump shaft bearing play: how much is too much?

dfc739

Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
My a/c decided to stop working this weekend so I got under the hood to do some routine and not-so-routine maintenance. I fixed the a/c: add me to the list that had to reduce the shim on the compressor clutch. My airgap was 0.036" and I sanded down the shim until it was 0.025" (completely removing the shim resulted in less than 0.010"). In any case, I happened to check all my drive belt pulleys when I had the belt off and the fan had quite a bit of play in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO7HvBRj1E8

There is no leaking, and only very minimal noise when running with no cooling problems. Here is the kicker: this water pump is the lifetime warranty new pump from O'Reilly autoparts (not reman) and has less than 30,000 miles on it over the last four years. So how much play is ok and what is too much? How long do we expect water pumps to last? I'm definitely going to change this out because I don't want to be stranded on a back road when the water pump decides to spill all my coolant out. Also, it should be replaced under warranty but I'll still have to invest the time and Dexcool.

Edit:
A cringe bonus: I was only going to check my cabin air filters but decided to change them out. I never thought they would be that bad after only 30,000 miles (I did this mod at about the same time I changed the water pump). The new ones have activated carbon impregnated into the filter but the old ones didn't. After seeing all the stuff I could have been breathing, I'm ecstatic I decided to do this mod years ago.

IMG_20150628_130305.jpg
IMG_20150628_130014.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When mine wobbled half as much it sounded like I threw a rod....lol. That's alot for sure.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Time to replace the water pump. Way too much play.

Good going with the cabin filters, too!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The thing I like about the cabin air filters is that it prevents this stuff from clogging the evaporator, getting wet and moldy and possibly corroding it, causing a leak. Probably also prevents clogs of the drip tube.

Oh yeah, that pump is done.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.