Water pump replacement on '06 SS LS2

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
When I installed my e-fan setup recently, I noticed that the water pump was starting to leak. The '06 water pump is unique in the way the upper hose angles and GM changed it in '07 to a better angle. I just purchased an '07 water pump along with a 160* thermostat, however I have a question.

I figured that while I was at it, I may as well swap out the hoses just for kicks and giggles. Since I went to an '07 water pump, do I need to buy the '07 hose kit? I would assume so, but I know what happens when you assume.

Has anyone else done this swap?

Since I haven't looked yet, do we have petcocks on the radiator or is it the old pull the bottom hose and get sprayed routine?

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
:bump:

I did find out that GM saved $ .30 by not installing a petcock. Looks likes either pull the hose really fast (while getting dex cool all over the floor), or make sure the new one fits and puncture a hole in the old one.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i use a medium sized rubbermaid container, catches most of it. and a piece of corrugated plastic to sorta funnel the juice in there and keep it off of the frame

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
I picked up a 41qt. low profile rubbermaid tote designed to go under the bed. It should be low enough to slide under the truck.

I can't believe that no local parts store or dealer have hoses in stock. Its not like I need a left handed knutson wrench. It's a frickin radiator hose.:hissyfit:

Dec 4, 2011
DucatiSS said:
:bump:

I did find out that GM saved $ .30 by not installing a petcock. Looks likes either pull the hose really fast (while getting dex cool all over the floor), or make sure the new one fits and puncture a hole in the old one.

Not to be to picky but GM only saved $0.05 on each petcock NOT installed. (they buy in bulk) :hissyfit:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
the funny thing is i have one on my aftermarket radiator and don't use it... too damn slow. i just pull the hose and get it over with

gemsheba

Apr 13, 2012
DucatiSS said:
I picked up a 41qt. low profile rubbermaid tote designed to go under the bed. It should be low enough to slide under the truck.

I can't believe that no local parts store or dealer have hoses in stock. Its not like I need a left handed knutson wrench. It's a frickin radiator hose.:hissyfit:

I used the same container when I did my efans and it worked great. On the bottom hose I just slipped the clamp back and pushed a screwdriver in between the hose and outlet, took a short break and it was drained when I came back. No mess shooting out all over the floor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online