Water Pump on my 06 Denali 5.3

16vcabman

Original poster
May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
Well I had the Joy of doing the water pump. Bought a new Gates w/thermostat, housing, and both belts. Took about 2.5 hours to remove and about the same to re-install including burping the system. If your dreaming of idlers now is the time! I love pulling lower hose to drain system. Thank God for a hoist, and heat. Honestly would wait till spring if not. Times could be better if I wasn't 64 years old but who cares it's done. When re-torquing bolts do 11 lbs and then 22 for final torque on pump bolts. Make sure you use locking tool for hose clamps. I put gaskets on pump with a dab of weather strip glue first so if bolts slid out I wasn't fighting gaskets. Buy two bottles of Dexcool concentrate and get another empty gallon to use to mix your 50/50 solution. I left a funnel in the radiator and reved engine a couple time while running to burp until I got heat in car. Turn your heater all the way up and it will take a while to start getting heat.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How long did it take to get it burped and the thermostat to open? Mine took forever and even went halfway to overheat before it opened. I had opened the steam crossover while filling and initially running and also used a special filling funnel. Was scary as hell.

16vcabman

Original poster
May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
Hi Mooseman,
Took about 45 minutes. I reved the engine multiple times and it took a while to get heat. The temp gauge did rise up a few times. I think the tall funnel sitting in the radiator opening helped. I didn't put the cap on till it was done. I also didn't start it until it gurgled a bunch of times. Well over a gallon in it before I started it up. We have this pressure fill unit that is supposed to be great when filling but I didn't get that thing out.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher