SOLVED! Water pump oil and other oil

Elizabetty

Original poster
Dec 2, 2022
Wisconsin
Hello. I need to replace my water pump because the pulley was wobbling really badly and I realize the fan clutch should be done too. I'm not even on that thought right now because I'm stuck with these other questions.

I am putting YouTube videos and a photo here.

Please confirm that the movement I'm showing in the shaft means the bearing is bad. There is a small amount of noise when spinning by hand. It spins freely but not like butter.

 Before wiping off the threaded shaft, I noticed it had oil on it. That had me inspecting further after wiping it clean and seeing it on the side where my video shows. Additionally, I seem to have another area of oil also shown.

My final question would be in regards to the water pump seeming to be stuck to the block. I attempted a gentle rubber hammer as seen in diy videos with no luck and I'm wondering what the thin piece of metal is that can be seen on the left side of the water pump at the block. It sticks out further than the shape of the pump so i noticed it. Is that a metal gasket? How do I get this pump off and out? I have Googled and watched YouTube videos and at this point I feel like I'm fighting super glue from h***.

1: The movement seen in the shaft means the water pump should be replaced right? Please confirm.

2: Is the thin piece of metal a gasket? If so is it any type of permanent fixture that cannot be damaged when removing this pump?

3: What is a good safe method to get this pump unstuck?

4: Why does there seem to be oil around the bottom of the water pump?

5: Please offer suggestions on what the other oil I'm noticing could be from.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230121_151716.jpg
    20230121_151716.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: movietvet

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
1: Yes that bearing is shot.

2: Yes, the original water pumps used a metal gasket, at least mine did. My replacement did not use a metal gasket though.

3: You are already replacing that water pump right? I would give it a few sharp whacks with a metal hammer out where the pulley bolts to it, not any of the aluminum part. Not big strong hits like you are trying to split wood, but short sharp whacks to try to break it loose.

Elizabetty

Original poster
Dec 2, 2022
Wisconsin
1: Yes that bearing is shot.

2: Yes, the original water pumps used a metal gasket, at least mine did. My replacement did not use a metal gasket though.

3: You are already replacing that water pump right? I would give it a few sharp whacks with a metal hammer out where the pulley bolts to it, not any of the aluminum part. Not big strong hits like you are trying to split wood, but short sharp whacks to try to break it loose.
Thank you. Anywhere I need to be checking inside for why shaft was covered in oil?

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
It could be coolant from a leaking water pump seal mixing with oil on the block.

Elizabetty

Original poster
Dec 2, 2022
Wisconsin
All good! water pump is out. I was just being a baby about hammering before because I was worried about cracking the block but it barely took any real effort. gasket came off cleanly. I think it's running down from valve cover gasket leak so I'll handle that. No signs of any oil in coolant or coolant in oil. Oil on block minimal at this point so not in a panic yet.

We can call this solved folks!

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Valve cover gaskets are FUN! You get to go from this:
20220728_080851.jpg

To this:
20220728_151813.jpg

And then put it all back together! There a number of good videos online about this job.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Check over on RockAuto for Your GM and ACDelco OEM Auto Replacement Auto Parts, as they are one of our Preferred Parts Vendors. I recommend installing the OEM "Professional Jobber" ACDelco Water Pump and using the OEM ACDelco Metal Gasket bearing the New Gray Seal Coating. (these two items may also be available on Amazon.com, too at very fair prices).

Another unfortunate possible source for that 'Grungy Black Mung Oil' you've discovered besides leaking Valve Cover Gaskets and Intake Manifold Gaskets is if the Front Timing Cover Crankshaft-Harmonic Balancer PTFE Oil Seal has become 'Tired' over tine and is Leaking Oil ...without it being under direct Engine Operational Motor Oil Pressure of 12 PSI to 65 PSI.

If it comes down to cases and it becomes necessary to perform this repair, there are a Boat-Load of "How to R&R the Harmonic Balancer and Timing Cover Seal" Threads here at GMTN carefully explaining How This Job Gets Done. This one DOES require quite a bit of "Muscle and Elbow Grease" in order to accomplish the task due to the Old, Used TTY (Torque To Yield) Crankshaft Bolt being quite hard to unwind ...and re-installed ONLY using a Brand New TTY Crank Bolt... that is also available from RockAuto.com.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And if you do use RockAuto for parts, we have a 5% discount code:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online