Water Pump gone?

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Hey all,

Getting a funny noise up front, that started tonight. I took a quick video... sounding like the bearings in the water pump are shot. Water pump and Alternator are original (252 kms). If I took the belt off, would it have play in it or could I hear it if I spin it by hand?

If it helps, you can hear the rattle in this short video:

I found this guide, if it the culprit: https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/how-to-replace-the-water-pump.15639/
and I know there is a good one on here for the alternator.

Any thoughts/advice? Am I playing with fire if I drive it for a day or two?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hey all,

Getting a funny noise up front, that started tonight. I took a quick video... sounding like the bearings in the water pump are shot. Water pump and Alternator are original (252 kms). If I took the belt off, would it have play in it or could I hear it if I spin it by hand?

If it helps, you can hear the rattle in this short video:

I found this guide, if it the culprit: https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/how-to-replace-the-water-pump.15639/
and I know there is a good one on here for the alternator.

Any thoughts/advice? Am I playing with fire if I drive it for a day or two?
Sounds like a bad water pump for sure. Jiggle the fan and see if it has play, that's a tell-tale sign it's bad.

Reactions: Reprise and psa55

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Thanks Capote! I didn't realize it was that simple to tell... The fan wobbles like a top about to fall over. No chance I'm driving, unless its from the driveway to my garage, or the one down the road. Hopefully I can tackle this myself with the tutorial.

Now to source a pump locally. I see a Gates pump available from the supplier a few kms away, but hopefully I can find an AC one in stop at reasonable price. If only Amazon could have it here tomorrow....

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Capote! I didn't realize it was that simple to tell... The fan wobbles like a top about to fall over. No chance I'm driving, unless its from the driveway to my garage, or the one down the road. Hopefully I can tackle this myself with the tutorial.

Now to source a pump locally. I see a Gates pump available from the supplier a few kms away, but hopefully I can find an AC one in stop at reasonable price. If only Amazon could have it here tomorrow....
No problem bud, try to snag an ACDelco one if you can.

Reactions: psa55

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I'm on my second carquest pump. The pump shaft was 5 thousandths out of round when new, and it looks like it's getting worse. I will probably go back to advance for another one before I go on a long roadtrip. Lifetime warranty - but what a hassle:deadhorse:

Reactions: Redbeard
D

Deleted member 20902

Gates is the supplier for AC Delco Water pump, and radiator cap. Gates/AC Delco = Same Part

Reactions: psa55 and Capote
D

Deleted member 20902

AC Delco pump went in tonight. Quite simple using the tips on here. Thanks the help! -22 degrees celcius... the TB could have waited till it was a little warmer to do this. My garage made it a little more doable.

So just to clarify . . . . Did the offending sound go away?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online