Water Leak

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
After 2 days of heavy rain, I opened my rear driver's side door and found this little puddle of water. It's not the first time. Any thoughts where I might look? I suspect I have multiple leaks but I'm not really looking forward to stripping the whole interior out to find them.

9AcNqfM.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
More than likely water just leaked past the weather stripping around the door due to the heavy rain.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Is that common? The stripping looks fine, and this has happened a lot.

Another spot I've noticed lots of water coming in is at the panel seem just above the larger sidewall storage... thing, in the way back, on the passenger side.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Is that common? The stripping looks fine, and this has happened a lot.

Another spot I've noticed lots of water coming in is at the panel seem just above the larger sidewall storage... thing, in the way back, on the passenger side.
I think I've had a small puddle in the same spot in your pic a few times? Not near often enough for me to be alarmed, very rare in my case.
So you've got another leak from the window seam in the rear passenger panel in the cargo area if I'm correct?

HizAndHerz

Oct 28, 2013
To check your seals you can cut a 1" wide strip off a thick plastic trash bag, about 1 foot long, and use it as a "feeler" all around the door seal. Just place the strip of plastic between the door and doorframe, close the door and see how difficult it is to pull the strip out. If it slips right through, you've found a possible leak.

If the rubber seal isn't torn and is stil somewhat pliable, you can sometimes insert a thin layer of weather stripping behind the seal to get a good seal again. I've done this a number of times, and it worked well most of the time, but sometimes not.

In other cases, I've had to unbolt and re-adjust the door to get a good seal. A fender bender can throw things off but you are usually able to see body panel to door alignment problems.

You might try spraying the door seams down with a spray hose and then look for the trail of water before it reached the floor.

JM2c.
-Jorns

Reactions: Capote

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
How easy is it to pop off door panels and interior trim panels? Do these trucks use the same clips as S10s? The clips that pretty much break, or the panels themselves break when you try to remove them?

Also how expensive is the door weather stripping? Seems like it should be cheap enough and easy enough to just replace it all?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are two 10mm bolts and the panels pull off. I've had good luck pulling mine without breaking the clips. I don't think they are the same as tthe old S10.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There have also been reports of water leaks from around the roof rack bolts. Someone had the hollow in the cargo area full of water.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online