Was thinking

million-miles

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I know i shouldnt do that but here goes. Just got done doing my first oil change and i was looking at the front suspension. And looks like the knuckles are the same as the 4wd. So it just looks like all you need is a front axle setup a trans case and front and rear drive shafts to convert 2wd to 4wd. I know its not simple but it looks like the 2wd and 4wd have some of the same basic parts

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
20% of the parts are the same. Turns out it's the cheap ones. :frown:

There's also a splined disconnect on the right side of the oil pan, an intermediate shaft from the differential through the oil pan to the splined disconnnect, a front axle actuator, a transfer case encoder motor, the 4WD mode switch in the dash, a TCCM to command them all, and a BUNCH of wiring. If you didn't have a donor vehicle with all these parts it would be a nightmare for your wallet. As it is, it's only 562 millinightmares. (0.562 NM)

If you regret not buying 4WD when you got your 2WD, just change what vehicle you buy NEXT. For now, love the one you're with. :biggrin:

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
20% of the parts are the same. Turns out it's the cheap ones. :frown:

There's also a splined disconnect on the right side of the oil pan, an intermediate shaft from the differential through the oil pan to the splined disconnnect, a front axle actuator, a transfer case encoder motor, the 4WD mode switch in the dash, a TCCM to command them all, and a BUNCH of wiring. If you didn't have a donor vehicle with all these parts it would be a nightmare for your wallet. As it is, it's only 562 millinightmares. (0.562 NM)

If you regret not buying 4WD when you got your 2WD, just change what vehicle you buy NEXT. For now, love the one you're with. :biggrin:

Sounds like it would be easier, and cheaper to just do a SAS

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Me007gold said:
Sounds like it would be easier, and cheaper to just do a SAS
:thumbsup: I figured a 2WD owner who discovered a hidden 4WD owner inside himself would not also discover a SAS wannabe nested inside HIM. :rotfl:

Lesson: Define your mission as best you can BEFORE buying the truck. Changing your mind later costs real $$$, whether you chose poorly on the number of drive wheels, number of seats, inches of ground clearance, number of cylinders, HP delivered to the wheels, or SPL delivered to your ears.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
There is another way to make it all work without the truck knowing it is a 4x4, but it wouldn't be easy. You'd have to create your own system to make it function. Possible? Yes. Not fun though.

million-miles

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I am very happy with the 2wd. I was just looking under the front when i was doing the oil change and seen the hole in the oil ban and the front knuckles were set for half shafts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanns Carrasco

Members Online