Warranty - How does it work?

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Sounds like a stupid question but one I've never known the answer to.

So if I buy my vehicle from one GM dealer and then move two towns over I can take it to the dealer and have it serviced, but this new dealership doesn't know me, I've never been a customer of theirs. So when they service my vehicle how do they get paid? I assume they have some paper work to take care of with GM Canada? Do they make the same profit from servicing my vehicle under warranty as they would if it wasn't under warranty?

Please don't laugh :smile:
NewfieEnvoy

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Sounds like a stupid question but one I've never known the answer to.

So if I buy my vehicle from one GM dealer and then move two towns over I can take it to the dealer and have it serviced, but this new dealership doesn't know me, I've never been a customer of theirs. So when they service my vehicle how do they get paid? I assume they have some paper work to take care of with GM Canada? Do they make the same profit from servicing my vehicle under warranty as they would if it wasn't under warranty?

Please don't laugh :smile:
NewfieEnvoy

Is it a gm warranty or the "dealerships" warranty. If gm, any gm dealer. If the "dealership" probably just that dealer.

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
GM warranty.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Any gm dealer will fix ur issues as long as that dealer is a gm certified dealer.

Dec 4, 2011
I bought my Denali in Wisconsin and I have had a GM dealer in Canada do warranty work on it. Never was a problem it just had to be under warranty. I have a rear air bag system and one side leaks down a little over night. They tried to fix it and missed so I don't worry about it now, a few seconds of air and I am level again after I turn on the vehicle. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
So...is it more profitable for a dealership to do warranty work on my vehicle or the same work outside of warranty and charge me for it?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
NewfieEnvoy said:
So...is it more profitable for a dealership to do warranty work on my vehicle or the same work outside of warranty and charge me for it?
Trivial. You pay retail. GM pays wholesale. :wink:

They also have a LOT more lawyers on staff. :yes:

They also don't guarantee their diagnoses. :hissyfit:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online