Want to reduce the heat under the hood

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Im no engineer and Im sure the factory guys know better than I do but the amount of heat generated under the hood just seems to me it cant be an ideal situation. Im looking to reduce it with various ideas. Ive got 2 Im considering and would love any input on the subject.
#1...Hood vent of some sort... Im dead set on doing this but how is the problem. Ive seen the other thread here and have to agree with most opinions in it...Hood scoops look pretty tacky for the most part. Id really like to find something like the grille type used on Tundras and some Ram trucks....just a small slit in the hood only an inch and a half tall or so....But looking around Im not finding much. Wrecking yards, ebay , etc Ive found nothing. Ckd the Dodge dealer and apparently their intake grilles only come as part of the entire hood. I havent found where you can order the grille separately . I also saw the trailblazer hood which is exactly what Id like to have but over $500 and Im assuming if they fit an Envoy they would be marketed as such...

#2...Titanium wrapping for the exhaust....This is definitely doable but Im a little worried about the benefit. I can get like 60ft of wrap on Ebay very cheaply ....but has anybody done this and what were the benefits? I mean the heat is generated inside the exhaust and has to go somewhere...I dont think the wrap absorbs it so does it pass it on further down the pipe?? Will I overheat the cats? Like I say no engineer but just thoughts Ive had on it...

Airflow and insulation would seem to be key....any other ideas???

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I don't disagree with wanting to get heat out of the engine compartment. Yet I am wondering what you are looking to benefit. Today's cars and trucks last much longer than did when I was a youngster. I am saying that because today it isn't so hard to get 20 years from a vehicle, so is it cost effective and worth the time and money to drop a few degrees in the engine compartment? Do you think you might keep the car long enough to see a difference? This could become a long "rabbit trail" spending a small fortune yet seeing little return for all the time spent insulating and increasing airflow.

just my 2¢ (because I don't want to spend big $$$)
redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:iagree:

I remember when at 100k miles a car was done. We are seeing easily double, and sometimes even triple, that mileage in these vehicles. Unless you're doing heavy towing in very hot weather accompanied with elevated engine temps, I wouldn't worry about it. With the oversized mechanical fans our trucks have, they are cooled very well when working properly.

If you're still adamant about doing heat abatement, I'd remove the under engine skid plate for extra air flow unless you do off-roading or have unpaved roads. I'd be wary of wrapping the exhaust manifold. They already have cracking issues and retaining that much more heat in them can worsen it. I know that wrapping headers has fallen out of favour due to cracking. And just say no to hood or fender vents. They're just tacky, real or not.

Reactions: Redbeard

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
This thing will be 20 years old in 2 yrs...lol And hopefully It'll be here when the coroner hauls me off. I just think as hot as it gets under that hood all the other parts would last a lot longer if they were not soaking in the constant high temperatures...Where I live the heat index can be over 100 for months at a time so its a big problem..

I was worried about the exhaust idea...Im not thinking of doing the manifolds but maybe the pipe between the manifolds and on out till they leave the engine compartment. Definitely going to do a foot or so where it passes right next to the starter. Probably as far as Im going to go with that idea though.
I like the idea of the skid plate. Actually I havent put it back on yet. Was leaving it off to ck for oil leaks. Think Ill leave it off ..

Im going to do something with the hood....minds made up on that 1 but Yea finding something non-tacky will be tough...

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Honestly, I'd take the worn parts from heat then deal with seeing the frame and panels rot out of the salt up here.

Reactions: Sparky and Mooseman

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I had a couple of Sunbeam Tigers and in the summer we would drive with the hood popped and on the safety latch (front hinged hood). That small gap made a difference in engine temps.
I suppose you could shim the hinges on yours to create a small rear gap that wouldn't be too noticeable, just a thought.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I often leave the hood open after a trip and parking at home to keep the underhood temperatures from rising when parked. And the center of the chrome bar on the grille is cut out and replaced with aluminum mesh to improve air flow.

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Actually thats kinda what Im looking at ...I notice the new GM trucks have a small opening at the front of the hood. On those Im guessing its an air intake since thats where the air intake is located on the newer models but It would definitely serve my purpose and not look like crap if done properly.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
This mod increases the open area directly in front of the radiator and condenser by 50%. Good for hot climates.

TB front.jpg

Reactions: BrianF

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
Perhaps get a second power steering radiator but use it as an aux tranny cooler prior to the radiator. There's room to hang it below the ps radiator.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The OEM power steering cooler is a lousy design - made of plain steel that is a relatively poor conductor of heat. Even with no salt down here it still rusted out and l had to replace it. Look for something else made out of aluminum.......

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online