Wandering steering

cretecrawler

Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Citrus Springs Florida
2006 envoy Denali 5.3 142,000. the truck has developed a case of wandering when driving and braking. It doesn't seem to stick to one side or the other. Feels like the front end is just all over the road. Any suggestions to start looking at?? I understand that this platform seems to eat sway bar bushings and end links.....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A full inspection of the front end and an alignment. The Saab was like that, especially when braking, and it turned out to be the lower A-arm bushings on one side were totally shot.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ball joints
Hubs
Tie Rods

Be my first things to look at

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Reactions: Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It will drive straight with the sway bars deleted. Mine does it every time i drive it. The rear is removed and the front is unhooked and tied up out of the way.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Mine started doing this around 130,000km. I suspected outer tie rods and was right. I should have been on this way faster, while I was pricing out new ones and researching R&R, one of them completely failed. Had my family in the vehicle and hit the ditch. Thankfully I was going slow and about to perform a U turn on a gravel road. Scared the sht out of the kids. Never again. Some problems and parts can wait, others cannot.

cretecrawler

Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Citrus Springs Florida
Mine started doing this around 130,000km. I suspected outer tie rods and was right. I should have been on this way faster, while I was pricing out new ones and researching R&R, one of them completely failed. Had my family in the vehicle and hit the ditch. Thankfully I was going slow and about to perform a U turn on a gravel road. Scared the sht out of the kids. Never again. Some problems and parts can wait, others cannot.
you are correct sir, found the driver's side outer tie rod end to be dry and knocking around. The other item I found interesting is the driver's side upper control arm rear mounting bolt was several turns loose …....

cretecrawler

Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Citrus Springs Florida
Ok so the end links have been in for almost 5 months. I have had to re-tighten the links twice then re-tightened with blue thread locker and the again re-tightened with blue thread locker and double nutted it. Arggggggh it is making noise again, wondering if the mounted hole is elongated now and giving it room to flop up and down? Has any one tried welding a support washer to reinforce it.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Ok so the end links have been in for almost 5 months. I have had to re-tighten the links twice then re-tightened with blue thread locker and the again re-tightened with blue thread locker and double nutted it. Arggggggh it is making noise again, wondering if the mounted hole is elongated now and giving it room to flop up and down? Has any one tried welding a support washer to reinforce it.
@Mooseman had to weld one in on one of his trucks. He should swing through with the details.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You rang? :biggrin:

Yep, I had that in the 02, both on the A-arm bracket and also the bar itself. Welded washers and used RED Loctite, torqued with the breaker bar. Also need a washer on the backside as the small hex or stud would dig into the bracket or bar. That's why the original OEMs had a washer.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
What kind of welder are you using for that type of work. I think I need a welder in my arsenal of tools now :smile: I have an oxy torch but I suspect you are using something a little more user friendly so to speak.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I used my old tombstone stick welder since it is heavy gauge steel.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, I picked up some hardened ones from a fastener supply.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online