Wacky Speedometer!

alan2112drums

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
The speedometer needle is acting up; while stopped, the needle was at 100 KM/h (or 60 MPH) and went past the max while at speed. The next time I started the vehicle, the needle started at around 40 KM/h, the next time at 20,KM/h, and the last time I started it up it was normal. This pattern has occurred 3 times. There is a faint "grinding" noise coming from the cluster/steering wheel area (hard to describe really). Kinda like if you softly roll your tongue against your teeth; it fades away rather quickly. Everything else seems to function normally. Any suggestions?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Mine did the same thing, it seemed the heat from the lights of all things was affecting it. Also, the cold affected it, making it not work at all or go up slowly but not back down until it had warmed up. Bad stepper motor.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Depends if it's your first time pulling a dash bezel or not. Either way getting it past the ignition switch is the hardest part to me.

Overall it's not awful.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Here's the diagrams for the bezel removal for the TB.

Trailblazer%20Dashpad%20removal_zpsfxzhpso0.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

triz

Apr 22, 2013
You could try a sort of reset. It may work for awhile. Try trying to start the car in reverse. Let it set, do it again, rest, do it again till the needle goes down to zero. Should be good for a bit. Mine is definitely past that stage where I have to break down and get the stepper motor replaced.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online