Waag Center Guard

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
I Know that i cannot mount a winch on this center guard,but is there a way to reinforce the guard to mount a good winch to it? Or am I better off getting a steel bumper? I have contacted BartonMD but he doesnt make them for the voy yet. How much does the tb steel front bumper cost? Thanks for any and all input!
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
By the time you engineer something to mount a winch to that plays nicely with the Waag, you might as well have a MDB Fabrication bumper. If your offroad mission involves needing a winch, the price of the bumper will end up being less than the winch and its accessories including a winch-capable battery.
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
Well said, wish Barton had an envoy steel bumper available.... There is no solution to getting 87's or 88's is there?:/
 

Porkins

Member
Dec 5, 2011
6,960
03envoy said:
I Know that i cannot mount a winch on this center guard,but is there a way to reinforce the guard to mount a good winch to it? Or am I better off getting a steel bumper? I have contacted BartonMD but he doesnt make them for the voy yet. How much does the tb steel front bumper cost? Thanks for any and all input!

Hmmm. You gave me an idea! I wonder if Barton can make a police style push bar w/ a winch?
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
03envoy said:
Well said, wish Barton had an envoy steel bumper available.... There is no solution to getting 87's or 88's is there?:/

Yeah, like I said this morning, I can make an Envoy bumper for you, if you can come down for a weekend for the design/tack-up, then come down again a couple weeks later, to pick it up... For being the first one, and for driving, I'll make a bumper for you for $300... ($25 more for a 2" receiver on it)

Porkins said:
Hmmm. You gave me an idea! I wonder if Barton can make a police style push bar w/ a winch?

I'd have to have a vehicle here to do it, and if I'm going to do that, I might as well make a real bumper for it...

Mike
 

Regulator

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,496
Bartonmd said:
Yeah, like I said this morning, I can make an Envoy bumper for you, if you can come down for a weekend for the design/tack-up, then come down again a couple weeks later, to pick it up... For being the first one, and for driving, I'll make a bumper for you for $300... ($25 more for a 2" receiver on it)

Mike

Here I thought I was patiently waiting for you to tell me when you were ready to have my truck down there.
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Regulator said:
Here I thought I was patiently waiting for you to tell me when you were ready to have my truck down there.

You are, and you're first, anyway... I didn't say I was going to do his this weekend, and yours is a 3" body lift, and his is not... Different bumpers... Actually, I told him in the PM that if he had a 3" body lift, I could make him one without being here, because I was making you one, pretty soon, here... (like Feb)

Mike
 

Regulator

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,496
Bartonmd said:
You are, and you're first, anyway... I didn't say I was going to do his this weekend, and yours is a 3" body lift, and his is not... Different bumpers... Actually, I told him in the PM that if he had a 3" body lift, I could make him one without being here, because I was making you one, pretty soon, here... (like Feb)

Mike

Yup, I am a huge douche. :duh: sorry man!
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
I am sorry but I cant make it down to indy. Thanks for the offer though. Like you said the bumper is a luxary, I need to work on getting the skids and other things first, If you dont have the bumper by then, Then I will come down and make arrangements. Thanks again Barton!
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,956
North Las Vegas
Regulator said:
Yup, I am a huge douche. :duh: sorry man!

I think y'all need to get Matt out on the trails so he can breath again. :poke:
 

Regulator

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,496
djthumper said:
I think y'all need to get Matt out on the trails so he can breath again. :poke:

This coming weekend!!!! :thumbsup:
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
03envoy said:
I am sorry but I cant make it down to indy. Thanks for the offer though. Like you said the bumper is a luxary, I need to work on getting the skids and other things first, If you dont have the bumper by then, Then I will come down and make arrangements. Thanks again Barton!

If a winch bumper isn't in your plans right now, you could go with one of these for the time being. You'll lose a little ground clearance but not much from what I can tell.

GMC Envoy Front Mount Trailer Hitch - 2006 | etrailer.com

View attachment 17660
 

Attachments

  • 31055_tn.jpg
    31055_tn.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 140

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
OR I could use a hitch mount and A winch on the rear hitch? Its not an immediate issue so I am not worried, But I would rather invest in saving for a bumper... Thank you for looking that up though! I do appreciate it!:yes:
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
03envoy said:
OR I could use a hitch mount and A winch on the rear hitch? Its not an immediate issue so I am not worried, But I would rather invest in saving for a bumper... Thank you for looking that up though! I do appreciate it!:yes:
Saving for the bumper is the best option. By the time you spend $200 for the hitch you are half way there.
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
Yea, Only thing is I dont know where I can find stiffer front springs like 87's But there gone. Wonder if I can find some japanese springs anywhere??:confused:
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,956
North Las Vegas
03envoy said:
Yea, Only thing is I dont know where I can find stiffer front springs like 87's But there gone. Wonder if I can find some japanese springs anywhere??:confused:

Don't sweat the small stuff. SO many people got onto the stiffer spring bandwagon and have no need for them. Some have gone way overboard with them... Save up for the bumper and take some before and after measurements to see if you really need them. If you need them then find an XL at the junk yard and see what springs are on there.
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
Thank you! I was keeping that in the back of my mind on where to find them... Thanks!
 

fishsticks

Member
Nov 21, 2011
433
djthumper said:
Don't sweat the small stuff. SO many people got onto the stiffer spring bandwagon and have no need for them. Some have gone way overboard with them... Save up for the bumper and take some before and after measurements to see if you really need them. If you need them then find an XL at the junk yard and see what springs are on there.

:iagree:

The 87/88 thing was originally a way to get some extra lift and weight handling. It's not a requirement.

Unless you are fully armored, bumpered, carrying an 80 pound winch and BOUNCING your front end regularly, you'll be OK without 87/88/89s. 89s are causing some folks problems with topping out their front shocks.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Without the bumper and armor, I dont really like the 88s I have...
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
Thats good input! Thank you, Well I am still on the fence about the bumper... I want it, But I do alot of city driving and MPG's are somewhat important to me. There arent many trails close to me, But how many mpg's are you getting with the bumper and all of your equipment HARDTRAILZ? Can you guys estimate how much I will lose? I am thinking it may be about 1 or 2 mpg loss? Thanks
Trent
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
Hey regulator,
I know many people have been talking about mark's 2.5 in kit, And saying you shouldn't use it if you wheel hard, But I will mostly be on sandand you have one, How is it holding up with the steel bumper? His smaller kit would suite me perfect...
Thanks
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
03envoy said:
Thats good input! Thank you, Well I am still on the fence about the bumper... I want it, But I do alot of city driving and MPG's are somewhat important to me. There arent many trails close to me, But how many mpg's are you getting with the bumper and all of your equipment HARDTRAILZ? Can you guys estimate how much I will lose? I am thinking it may be about 1 or 2 mpg loss? Thanks
Trent
I think a got about 19 stock, but that was a long time ago... I get about 15 in town and 16 on the hwy with everything and a load in the roof rack. I drive anywhere from 70 to 500 miles to go wheeling. Distance is just an excuse. You either want to wheel or not.


03envoy said:
Hey regulator,
I know many people have been talking about mark's 2.5 in kit, And saying you shouldn't use it if you wheel hard, But I will mostly be on sandand you have one, How is it holding up with the steel bumper? His smaller kit would suite me perfect...
Thanks

I had Marks original 2.5 lift and beat the hell out of it for over a year. I did not bust the upper stock mounts until some tough wheeling in TN. I had all armor and steel bumper without issue, but it eventually did fail. However; it took over 100K miles with 15K lifted and getting beat on. Sand will be a bit softer than the rocks I like, so it may very well help you.
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
03envoy said:
Thats good input! Thank you, Well I am still on the fence about the bumper... I want it, But I do alot of city driving and MPG's are somewhat important to me. There arent many trails close to me, But how many mpg's are you getting with the bumper and all of your equipment HARDTRAILZ? Can you guys estimate how much I will lose? I am thinking it may be about 1 or 2 mpg loss? Thanks
Trent

I was completely stock suspension/tires with the bumper/skids setup for several months... I lost MAYBE 1mpg on the highway (20 average to 19-19.5 average), and next to nothing in town... The lift/tires is a much bigger fuel mileage sucker...

Mike
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think a got about 19 stock, but that was a long time ago... I get about 15 in town and 16 on the hwy with everything and a load in the roof rack. I drive anywhere from 70 to 500 miles to go wheeling. Distance is just an excuse. You either want to wheel or not.



I had Marks original 2.5 lift and beat the hell out of it for over a year. I did not bust the upper stock mounts until some tough wheeling in TN. I had all armor and steel bumper without issue, but it eventually did fail. However; it took over 100K miles with 15K lifted and getting beat on. Sand will be a bit softer than the rocks I like, so it may very well help you.


damn right, I got this figured out. I am goin to get all my armor hopefull by the end of the year, That includes my lift and spring searching... Sand Dunes here I come! lmao. cant wait Thanks for all your help Hard trails!



I am going to start off with the 2.5 inch and move on from there, Its a learning process for sure! Thanks again!
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
wow, Thats good news! I am just worried about putting 32" tire's on 3.42 gears. Thats a big load on 3.42's May stick with stock sized tires...:undecided: Thanks Barton!
 

03envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
Thanks man! Did you mount the reinforcement to the front bumper? Or to the front bumper and frame? I wonder if you just mounted that to the bumper that connects to the frame? And not directly to the frame? Thanks. Sorry if I am confusing lol:smile:
 

KaRo

Member
Dec 4, 2011
31
03envoy said:
Thanks man! Did you mount the reinforcement to the front bumper? Or to the front bumper and frame? I wonder if you just mounted that to the bumper that connects to the frame? And not directly to the frame? Thanks. Sorry if I am confusing lol:smile:

In the first picture you can see the holes left and right which are bolted through the frame.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,488
Posts
639,901
Members
18,722
Latest member
Mmc0229

Members Online