[WA] No more front plate? Maybe?

kardain

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
There are two bills that were introduced last year, HB 1219 that would allow for front plate removal at vehicle owner's request, and SB 5560 that would allow for removal due to privacy concerns.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20100826/BLOG13/100829895/0/NEWS02

Gov. Chris Gregoire says in a video posted online today that she could support eliminating the requirement for front license plates if doing so will not be a detriment to public safety. Gregoire says the change could save the state $1.9 million and would make Washington the 21st state to allow vehicles to have only a rear plate.

"I'm working with our state patrol to figure out how critical the front plates are for law enforcement efforts. If they are not necessary we should eliminate them and cut our costs. But it is a public safety issue that we need to look at," she says.

It would be nice if either one of these passed. I've never been too keen for a front plate and have been attempting to get a WSP waiver but keep getting shot down.

There are various unofficial petitions online with good support for either measure to pass... I'd grab the links but at the moment, I only have a few minutes to get this posted... I'll edit the links in for the petitions later.

Here are the links to the two bills,

SB 5560 - 2011-12
HB 1219 - 2011-12

Maybe with enough public pressure, the legislature will kill the two plate requirement.

Thoughts?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I didn't realize that so many states have them. Indiana and Michigan don't. And if we ever did here, it would be beyond my memory.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
DJones said:
I didn't realize that so many states have them. Indiana and Michigan don't. And if we ever did here, it would be beyond my memory.

Front plates? Michigan use to require them a long time ago.

kardain

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
IIRC, there are 18 or 19 states that have one plate only. MA is one or two required, not sure how that is figured, though.

Heck, i'd be OK with paying the two plate fee if they dropped the front requirement.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
kardain said:
Heck, i'd be OK with paying the two plate fee if they dropped the front requirement.

They would change the wording!

You wouldn't be paying for two and only getting one, you’d be paying for one at a necessary fee increase

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
kardain said:
IIRC, there are 18 or 19 states that have one plate only.
Of 50 states + D.C. (making 51), 32 are two-tag states. Ohio is one of them. :sadcry:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I've got a vanity plate, and Indiana will send me a new one every year. I'm thinking about voiding my old one just to put it up front. Then others going in the opposite direction will know the importance.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
Of 50 states + D.C. (making 51), 32 are two-tag states. Ohio is one of them. :sadcry:

Aren't we surrounded by 1 plate states? I know that West Virginia and Pennsylvania are one plate. Indiana and Michigan apparently dont. We are surrounded. Thought I heard they were considering dropping the front plate for Ohio?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I can only hope so, I HATE running a front plate on my TB because the bracket is an afterthought. It looks like @$$. The new fullsize trucks that have the license plate bracket built into the lower bumper look good though.

I "broke" the front bracket on my SS the day after I brought it home. :lipsrsealed:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
mapanch said:
Aren't we surrounded by 1 plate states? I know that West Virginia and Pennsylvania are one plate. Indiana and Michigan apparently dont. We are surrounded. Thought I heard they were considering dropping the front plate for Ohio?

Kentucky is one plate also...

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm just a dumb foreigner, but what's the drama with 2 plates?

kardain

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
For my TB, it comes down to nothing more than aesthetic appearance. For my Pontiac, it is an airflow concern. The factory position of the front plate blocks a good majority of the radiator opening, thus it had to be relocated using a home made, wobbly (on purpose) bracket.

on edit: https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=washington+front+plate+petition -- first result... the actual page is misbehaving for me this morning

jbones said:
They would change the wording!

You wouldn't be paying for two and only getting one, you’d be paying for one at a necessary fee increase

Either way, fine with me if the front plate goes away :smile:

asautt

Dec 5, 2011
jbones said:
:postcount:

But I noticed if I did take the front bracket off there would be holes in the bumper cover. :frown:

Throw some LEDs in those little holes! :wootwoot:

Alan

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
jbones said:
:postcount:

But I noticed if I did take the front bracket off there would be holes in the bumper cover. :frown:

Painters caulk does wonders

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
mapanch said:
Thought I heard they were considering dropping the front plate for Ohio?
They've been saying that for years. Doubt it will happen though.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
They've been saying that for years. Doubt it will happen though.

Doesn't bother me either way. I already had a front plate bracket mounted on my truck when I bought it. My mom's S80 doesn't have a front plate on it though. AK doesn't require one - can use both if you want, but only one is required.

kardain

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Both bills reintroduced in present status on April 4.... The hope is still alive

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wish Ohio would drop the front plate. Would save them money! I wouldn't care if they left the registration the same price.

As it is, my new fun car (99 Camaro) doesn't even have a front plate bracket so I'm either going to run without a front plate and see what happens, or stick it in the windshield. Front plates on these Camaros look really ugly anyway.

I don't mind the front plate on my Trailblazer.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
I live in TN we have no front plates. I was in Chicago and a cop pulled me over trying to give me a ticket thought I was lying when I said we have no front plates. His dispatcher confirmed.

It was funny cause he got mad at me for my state laws

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
I got away with not running a front plate on my Jimmy for 3 or 4 years down here in Ohio. It came up when I got a speeding ticket a few years ago but the officer didn't bother piling it on since I was able to produce the front plate on command. Got pulled over late last year by an officer and a trainee just for not having the front plate on. Got a verbal warning and threw it on the next week. The front bumper had a place for it but you had to drill holes in the front bumper which I wanted to avoid.

Cost of my plates in Ohio for the Jimmy was just over half of what I paid for one plate in Michigan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online