VXDIAG Tech2 Emulator?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So my question revolves around the VXDIAG Tech2 emulator for Windows 8 and newer machines.

Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

As this is a much more cost effective alternative to the VTRONIX Tech2, i have questions about its abilities. Does it perform like a tech2? All the functions work? etc? Downsides?

Have been told it works just like a Tech2, but I have yet to find anyone that has this kit, and can tell me about it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
One of our former members told me he was gonna get one of these. I keep bugging him every few months about it, cuz I'm sure I have many of the same questions you do. He's been slacking though, and hasn't pulled the trigger yet. :hissyfit:

• Sad
Reactions: mrrsm

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
So my question revolves around the VXDIAG Tech2 emulator for Windows 8 and newer machines.

Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

As this is a much more cost effective alternative to the VTRONIX Tech2, i have questions about its abilities. Does it perform like a tech2? All the functions work? etc? Downsides?

Have been told it works just like a Tech2, but I have yet to find anyone that has this kit, and can tell me about it.

Bought one of these after my Tech2 completely bricked. I wish I had of just bought this first as it is exactly the same thing on a PC. Could have saved some money.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
I use Tech2Win and as far as function goes, it is the same as the handheld Tech2. If you want to do programming, there is more software to download to do that. I think with the VXDIAG hardware you can run GDS2 which is what the newer vehicles use instead of Tech2Win.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is a Very Comprehensive run through of the VXDIAG VCX Nano Tech 2 and GDS2 *** Emulator:

...and from Kyle... one of THE Best HP-Tuner Trainers on line at "The Goat Rope Garage":

*** This Device as suggested for use by @m.mcmillen came up over in my "GYMKO Tech 2 Clone" Thread where he and @Mooseman discussed the idea that THIS New and Inexpensive Technology was a BETTER direction to go for anyone looking beyond the 1992-2013 GM vehicles. It is Less Costly... Requires Far Fewer Components ...and can achieve the same results as the Tech 2 while looking into the 21st Century of TIS2WEB SPS Subscriptions for GM OBD2 Diagnostics Solutions.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@MRRSM - THANKS! that was some really good info. I think I am going to stop looking for a Tech2, and go this route. Much cheaper, and portable for me. I have some radios that I need to do a VIN relearn on, as well as a BCM reprogram, so this unit will pay for itself for me, as I can quit bothering @Maverick6587 about borrowing his.. Shipping it back and forth is not cheap LOL!

Definitely glad I asked about it.. I am also surprised this isnt a more widely used option.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Glad to offer help right along with our Fellow GMTN Members...

For the time just after your VCX Nano Device arrives from Amazon, if the installation Media required arrives on a “Mini-CD” Disk… The $24.00 RIODDAS USB DVD-RW Super-Drive Player-Burner is an AWESOME USB 3.0 Device to use if you intend to install the VXC NANO onto a Windows Tablet or a Legacy Laptop with either an inoperative, Non-Tray or missing DVD Player:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H183PZQ/?tag=gmtnation-20

RIODDASUSBEXTERNALDVD1.jpgRIODDASUSBEXTERNALDVD2.jpgRIODDASUSBEXTERNALDVD3.jpg

It's also worth Downloading, Saving and Playing this Excellent VCX NANO “How-To” Installation Video via VLC (VideoLan) at around ½ Speed in order to catch all of the very quick prompt clicks the VOP (Video Original Poster) uses in order to get the VCX NANO Device Drivers installed along with the individual install apps for the Tech2Win and GDS2 Software onto your Windows Laptop or Tablet:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I will be installing it on a OLD Win10 32bit laptop I have. Its from 2012 with a CD tray. So I should be good on that one. I just have to wait a bit to buy it. I just dropped 2600 bucks last week on a tranny.. Funds are a little tight at the moment. I am thankful I am an "essential worker".

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Article covers the procedures for using the VXDIAG VCX NANO along with the TIS2000 Software. The procedures will require a lot of patience during the set up of the Computer and Software to bridge the gap between the 16 Bit TIS2000 Installer vs. the 'Late Model' flavors of the Windows 32 and 64 Bit OS. But for those who do NOT wish to use the ACDelco TIS2WEB approach... the procedures laid down at this link may be the ones for you:

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So now that funds are back in the account (after selling the Rendezvous and the Corsica), I am looking at buying the VCX device. I have a older, like really old (intel centrino), Toshiba Satellite M45-S2693 (2006 model) with with a stock version of Windows XP 32bit. But the hard drive is roasted, and I no longer have a install CD. But I do have a Win7 32 bit with key.

What should I do with the laptop prior to getting the VXDIAG in prep for it, other than make sure it works?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I also just found a Windows XP Pro SP3 Key and CD from one of my old... OLD builds

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Went into Experimentation mode tonight. Got this old XP Laptop up and running, XP SP3. And I am pretty sure its not going to work (using it as I type this). IE6 wont let you go online, period end story. Chrome wont let you log in. Most of the other browsers are problematic as well. I am currently using MyPal, and although functional, its definitely buggy. This is only concerning for using the the GDS/Candi to program modules via online downloading. I am not sure it will function the way I need it.

• Sad
Reactions: Redbeard

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
FWIW, when I had a go at one of these, I tried 32 bit as well as 64 bit versions of XP and Windows 10, on 2 different laptops, and had a consistent issue. The driver's installed fine, as did the software, which recognized the device, but would not properly communicate with it in Tech2Win. After a weekend of struggling, I ended up sending it back. :frown:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I formatted the xp laptop, and put a copy of windows 7 on it. Everything works except the wifi.. which I can get a usb adapter for, and the video driver's won't install, but that's auto corrected by using a default pnp adapter. Runs, plays movies of my server, surfs the net, chrome installs... I think I have my test bed. Cost so far 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online