VVT Solenoid, oil in the connector

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Good morning everyone, today I was doing maintenance on the power steering pump and I noticed an oil stain out of the VVT Solenoid valve. I unplugged the connector and found a little bit of oil (you can see it on a paper towel but not a lot). Also, the I can rotate the solenoid clockwise and counterclockwise. I'm not sure if that's normal.

It's not throwing trouble codes or anything but the engine sounds like diesel, which I always assumed to be lifter noise. Any idea if my VVT Solenoid is bad and is the cause of the noise?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oil in the connector indicates that it is defective and should be replaced. it will eventually throw a code.

I've always found the valvetrain to be noisy on these engines but I don't know what that noise would be.

Reactions: Redbeard

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I was thinking about doing an engine flush with liqui moly. Should I do the flush first, then change the VVT solenoid? The flush might help open up possibly clogged oil passages for the lifters. I will change the solenoid anyway, but Im not sure the flush is a good idea with 235,000 miles on it. I know previous owner wasn't great about oil changes.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the solenoid itself, it shouldn't make any difference. In fact, may be a good idea to flush before replacing it especially if crud gets loosened and could plug up the screens. If you know it was neglected, I would flush it.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
UPDATE: I did the flush and the flushed oil wasnt exceptionally dirty. I guess replacing the oil every 3K miles for couple of years did a good job cleaning the motor. The VVT actuator solenoid got replaced but the dieseling sound is still there. I took it on 150 miles drive.

Everything seems to work fine. after the trip I got a low oil pressure warning as I was pulling into the driveway. But it appeared once and never again so I assumed it was a failing switch as it was leaking anyway. Just in case I installed a new switch, no leaks above the filter, and no low pressure messages (yet) :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.