NEED HELP VVT Oiling

tooter1

Original poster
May 6, 2021
TN
According to Pro Demand this center screen port is the oil pump supply.
Mine is getting clogged even after multiple oil flushes.

Is this not filtered oil?

Valve-Timing-Solenoid.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe it's your oil filter. What brand are you using? How about the oil? Is it throwing a code for it?

tooter1

Original poster
May 6, 2021
TN
Maybe it's your oil filter. What brand are you using? How about the oil? Is it throwing a code for it?
When I bought the Envoy it had a P0017 code and that was all it had. I did the CASE relearn and it seemed fine for just a couple of starts. The vehicle overheated on his son in Texas and a place down there put an engine in it that was supposed to have had about 95k miles on it. When I got it, it had an oil change about 1000 miles before I bought it.

I pulled the VVT solenoid and it was missing 1 screen, another screen was barely hanging on
I bought a new one and it seemed fine for a couple of starts.
Pulled the new VVT out and replaced it with the old and thinking the pickup tube may be clogging/clogged, I decided to do an oil flush with some Motor Medic then drained that and put about a 1-1/4 gallon of parts cleaner in it and let it sit for about 4 days. Did about 4 occasional startups for about 10 seconds each time. Drained that out and it was nasty dark and draining that pan out, and it had small chunks in the bottom of the drain pan.

Put in 6 quarts Havoline Synthetic and 1 quart of Marvel Mystery and FRAM oil filter (I know, not a great choice) swapped the new VVT solenoid and it was good for a few starts.

Decided to pull my scanner out and see what the Cam Phaser was doing when commanded, it wasn't really doing anything. Then it gave a P0014 code along with the P0017 code. Pulled the new VVT out and it was totally clogged. Cleaned it out, put it back in and it lasted for a few starts, and did it again. It was clogged.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-28-20-50-33[53].png
    Screenshot_2021-05-28-20-50-33[53].png
    121.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2021-05-28-20-51-23[52].png
    Screenshot_2021-05-28-20-51-23[52].png
    101.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2021-05-28-20-51-33[51].png
    Screenshot_2021-05-28-20-51-33[51].png
    100.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
OK, let's have it

Reactions: Reprise

tooter1

Original poster
May 6, 2021
TN
OK, let's have it
I cut off the end of my old VVT solenoid LOL and ran the car for a little while.
I said what the H*LL, it should clean out the passages and I've checked the VVT screens a few times and it hasn't clogged up yet. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

But, I still get the P0017 code even after multiple CASE relearns.

Attachments

• 20210603_195510.jpg
    20210603_195510.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 7

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you replace the crank sensor? It will need another CASE relearn after that. If that doesn't fix it, it's likely your cam phaser. I had a similar code (P1345) and the phaser fixed it.

tooter1

Original poster
May 6, 2021
TN
Did you replace the crank sensor? It will need another CASE relearn after that. If that doesn't fix it, it's likely your cam phaser. I had a similar code (P1345) and the phaser fixed it.
I haven't yet, I was thinking it's a worn phaser too. I don't have a scope to actually check correlation.
The Envoy has 353,*** miles but, the engine is supposed to only have 95k ish miles. 🤷🤷
As far as I can tell it's the original PCM.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Envoy has 353,*** miles but, the engine is supposed to only have 95k ish miles.
When I swapped the engine in my '02, the replacement had "only" 150k km. Only after I got it installed (that was fun...NOT!), it was giving me P1345. I went through the same path as you except I didn't have a Tech 2 at the time to do my own CASE relearns. Only thing left was the phaser. Swapped it out and all was good. Only after I got it opened that I saw it was poorly maintained with coked oil everywhere. It also eventually broke the timing chain tensioner and later, the phaser failed a second time.

These engines are bulletproof IF they're maintained.

tooter1

Original poster
May 6, 2021
TN
When I swapped the engine in my '02, the replacement had "only" 150k km. Only after I got it installed (that was fun...NOT!), it was giving me P1345. I went through the same path as you except I didn't have a Tech 2 at the time to do my own CASE relearns. Only thing left was the phaser. Swapped it out and all was good. Only after I got it opened that I saw it was poorly maintained with coked oil everywhere. It also eventually broke the timing chain tensioner and later, the phaser failed a second time.

These engines are bulletproof IF they're maintained.
How did you go about changing the phaser without a major teardown?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Only thing left was the phaser. Swapped it out and all was good. Only after I got it opened that I saw it was poorly maintained with coked oil everywhere

Just curious, can a phaser get clogged oil passages? Meaning the mechanism is still sound but the oil cannot get where it needs to due to filth restricting the flow??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe that's what happens when it ingests a screen.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online