vortec4200.com going dead

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The site that has been referenced here on many occasions will be going dark on May 6th. From what I could read, the site owner may have passed away last year and its hosting is running out on this date. Attempts to get a hold of someone in his family has been proving to be difficult to try and attempt to save it. Hopes are dim at this point.

With only 4 days to go, if you want to save any documents and info, this is your last chance.

Thanks to @cornchip for giving the heads up on this in a thread.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wonder if there's a way to save an offline copy of the whole thing, aside from going to every single page and hitting save.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There was a suggestion that over there the site's content be moved over here. If we would have had more lead time, it could have been possible.

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
What if a bunch of us copied sections of it and pasted it over here? If someone wanted to cut the pie up, so to speak, I'd be willing to help; which I might not be the best person to help as I'm not a member there, but would try.

Reactions: xavierny25

ddgm

May 7, 2013
I have just come from the site and it looks like limequat is trying to revive it. Seems the owner, Pete, died a couple of years ago.
They have contacted his wife and son and are working on the paper work. Here's hoping!

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I registered a couple hours ago, maybe someone will approve my membership fairly soon. At least that will tell that someone has some control of the site.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I registered a couple hours ago, maybe someone will approve my membership fairly soon. At least that will tell that someone has some control of the site.

We haven't had any new users for quite some time. Welcome!

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
After registering, you have to be approved; which hasn't happened yet. I did an automated message from Pete, earlier today, thanking me for joining though.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
With Pete's absence, nobody's been approved for the past 2 years. You might still be in for a wait.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fixed the title. My bad. :redface:

@Drec , you mentioned to me in a PM that it is/will be saved. Any details about that? Looked on their forum and didn't see anything.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
FYI - the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org) has copies of the pages (last: 3/18/2018). There are limitations (the WM FAQ describes them), but the data will remain searchable if the site does go dark.

Good luck to those working to keep the site online.

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Hopefully, whoever is trying to save the site is talking to the host, as they should have a backup if the site goes down. It doesn't appear that anyone had admin rights to the forum, except for Pete.

If anyone wants to copy the site, there are several website copy programs available.

Just Google "website copier" and have lots of free disc space and 5-6 hours with at least a DSL connection.

Last edited:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
It's sad all this info is going to be potentially lost. There's a ton of great information for Turbo builds. I better start saving hard copies of all my bookmarks and parts found on there!

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Looking poor as of today for survival. One guy there wants to see it moved to inliners and another wants Facebook. I did mention that GMTNation would consider helping as well. I'm staying out of it, but I believe the traffic here with this motor being platform dependent would be a bit more logical. :thumbsup:

Quote from vortec4200.com

The hosting company is sticking to the rules, now beside the original certificate, they are also demanding a certificate stating that Peter's company is defunct.

Its unlikely we will get this.

So not looking very good at this point in time.

inliners.org has offered to host a 4200 section on there new web site - so it this fails here - I think we should consider their offer.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Who is the hosting company? The domain registration is good through 2020 and is setup so that it cannot be transferred.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The registrar is Network Solutions, LLC
A ping of vortec4200.com shows the IP as 206.188.193.221
Tracert shows the DNS for that address as vux.netsolhost.com - so Network Solutions is likely providing the hosting, as well.

While the transferring of that domain is 'prohibited', if Network Solutions contacts ICANN themselves, I believe it can be transferred. What's shown on the Whois page is a safeguarding against a xfr request emanating from anyone except the validated owner of record.

With all of that said - if the site was to go dark on May 6th - it doesn't appear to be offline as of yet, anyway.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I hope something is figured out, would be a real shame for it to go to waste. Underrated motor, only appreciated by inliners and enthusiasts of this platform.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Isn't it the same host as ours? Maybe if we get Jimmy on this, we could probably transfer the content here to its own section. As for the forum there, I'd just shut it down and advise all to register here.

Reactions: Redbeard and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
It's gone!

y4maRNEle44GqfK2VCSEfbyoXIl4jq_0cK4poNf3ioK8IgCqcny8j5QwmvU5fu6OWHrL7znoi-HVWRx638tyzF327261JY6uoDUu_lfWFUh_ASLwfOWjzAG9GeTJHqgBfGCmKACHtLHvh5FFmQTKlQXkJfIkFncCJ93sHA9-4u-__F46Uj-_quUtf4F34K4z-5L-9_d4rxXs21as81oU0ZZUw
Nooo! :lipsrsealed:

The Wayback Machine can reach the forums and topic sections, but as far as looking at a specific thread, those were not captured. All that info is lost to time now.

Last edited:

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
What does it mean "Temporarily Unavailable"? It almost implies that it will be back. Does anyone know or talk to anyone that was trying to get ahold of the site?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
More than likely, it's an automated system that takes a site down when the owner doesn't pay up. Gives a last chance to pay up before it's totally dead. Still gone for all intents and purposes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online