Vortec 4200 swap into a Checker cab part 1

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Noticed the interesting attempt to use a BOP turbo 400. Not betting on that being 100 percent reliable.
That's gonna be interesting to follow. Was reading in the comments because I figured people who know nothing about this motor were going to talk smack about it, wasn't wrong about that:
"That strait 6 is a crap motor. Have personally seen two of them split the head length wise. Unless its an SS trailblazer the whole car is garbage". Oh really? Have you? :laugh:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That's just total bull.
Yes it is. The amount of ignorance towards this engine in the comment section is really making me mad.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Maybe he did see them split length wise. After he sawzalled them.

The worst head issues on this platform have been what, a few burned valves here and there and couple vvt phaser problems? Nothing that screams crap because you'll always have a few break things.

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Have heard multiple professional mechanics trash talk them due to head issues. I've been around the forums for 5 or so years now and could count on one hand how many head issues I've read of. Granted we're only a small percentage of all owners but still...

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I don't know why people troll in the comment sections on YouTube, on someone's decision to use "x" motor in their build. It's their choice for that project. Either reasonably inquire as to why they made that choice like an adult, give them props, or keep your mouth shut and go back to Reddit or something.
I think it's a cool choice to use the 4.2. It's a very unappreciated motor and not really known about outside of the community of owners or other straight-six forums. We need more 4.2 swaps. They're a dime-a-dozen in yards and on Craigslist.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Getting back to this build, He should have went with a 4L60E instead of that junk 700R4. He'll need a full wiring harness, the accelerator pedal and probably @limequat 's expertise in getting these working outside of 360's.

I can tell you it's a 2008-2009 engine according to the coils and thermal fan clutch. He's gonna need the PCM too. And the engine mount brackets got hacked. He's in for a world of work.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Getting back to this build, He should have went with a 4L60E instead of that junk 700R4. He'll need a full wiring harness, the accelerator pedal and probably @limequat 's expertise in getting these working outside of 360's.

I can tell you it's a 2008-2009 engine according to the coils and thermal fan clutch. He's gonna need the PCM too. And the engine mount brackets got hacked. He's in for a world of work.
Yeah I don't know why he didn't use the 4l60e. Great choice on his part for using an later year 4.2, more horsepower and better flowing head. This guy sure does have a lot of work cut out for him though, especially with the wiring and PCM... I've seen how much of a headache that becomes. I'm gonna post a link to the forum, hopefully he see's it and he ends up coming our way. I'd like for him to be able to get credible information.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I don't know why people troll in the comment sections on YouTube, on someone's decision to use "x" motor in their build. It's their choice for that project. Either reasonably inquire as to why they made that choice like an adult, give them props, or keep your mouth shut and go back to Reddit or something.

+ 1,000,000 :thumbsup:

I'm gonna post a link to the forum, hopefully he see's it and he ends up coming our way.

Another reason I like this site / members. Well done. Almost makes me wish I had an LL8. Almost. LOL

I haven't watched the vid (yet). Any info on what the intended purpose is for this build? I'm assuming it's not going to be taxi service ::laughing::

Last edited:
Reactions: Capote

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
While I appreciate what @Capote 's position is about the VOP's decision to perform this Swap... Installing an Un-inspected Engine (Especially an LL8) into that badly broken down "Hack" is a bit like putting a $50.00 Saddle...on a $2.00 Horse... :>)

Reactions: cornchip and Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The turbo 400 would be cool. If he does a 700r4 you may as well just go to a 4l60 st that point. Same pile of garbage but with computer controls. The 400 is pretty hard to kill but you'd need to somehow add in the vacuum port for kickdown...

Reactions: Reprise and mrrsm

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Getting back to this build, He should have went with a 4L60E instead of that junk 700R4.

He's actually using a Turbo 400 with a Buick Olds Pontiac bolt pattern. GM transmissions seem to share a common dowel pattern between Chevrolet, BOP and I'm assuming Atlas. How those dowels relate to the crank center line is another thing best checked with an indicator.

With the BOP pattern, he's planning on drilling the block to try and pick up a few more bolt holes where possible. The starter pocket is all wrong and will have to be massaged to fit. Also on the list is a modified (likely) flex plate to adapt the Turbo 400's converter.

y4m27Oa89fWQxsdkvtfn8qSFSq7eX3deI5LCB9KjFhk7mzldKr7zV_Ivo5z99dcVrtAMsW47RFwT4knGq3A91GeXc6sZyBOHeoBJDAMK7UMlGH0XM7MHXM3zIFXdP-qsxRngHQMjKy63TiLoIbgruDvcJj4xvfOeO6-2CqxhcMfO9qrzyaPiduKA0Dhj9tJSzM1q88CCM1DtYZM-UahK3AhoA

y4mFgKjpW4nxTMDo46m0NxvhSAUWTAd_DIZjOvQp16ku6Bnk0HQnr2oYCWffv6hwMEjsWErIm7DCBN-r53HF_arixSW9AnHD9L9SUgwAhpiQH2YT91yfMje3g2uHrP-PjSa8qm6WXFaQKwYdPlB4cClhZNbQJsc9-IPGH0jy4j94lcGKj4KSCfPTiIofH9XqrxN0oDj9JeepwUzTC-sI6H4DQ

Reading the comments on Youtube, the EFI duties are going to be handled by a Microsquirt. That means no VVT control as that can only be done by MS3Pro and above. No AMP EFI products are currently controlling the stock DBW throttle body that I know of.....so he's going to have to adapt something. I went down this road before I fully knew about Limequat's services sorting out stock harnesses and reprogramming the PCM. It's a shame this guy's harness pull is so cut up.

My attempt at a cable driven throttle body from a 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7. Has the perfect cable for my Jeep firewall and pedal. A big plus. The throttle plate measures 68MM. It was a real chore to get it in the same place as the stock unit.....fit's in real tight. Has a two wire PWM controlled IAC valve. Good for MS. Forgive all the dust on my project....haven't worked on it for awhile with the exception of a complete exhaust I did on it over the holidays.

Pictures!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

y4mS5kM5kFLusXVOKJnRnjAtWTVxVbEZ7OaGWiUJwmG0Ly_1QDFlhNFkMY0XYiWY_dgrPDUO4ut3gIM19vrR8RydBOS7Gy5o_swaF4b1RzAwB3qkmsVQ6oyYhhmIu2oQyZ9Yh7AqsTLYk-kMmx8owPvB8tSeJLrb3sRl5XxeIJkMY8MgirRQBI9p1OLIVvZlzugT3hjEy7c9--Jt1ppKlafPw

y4mi95H64C7XCATdW33rIqutV5g3WOCZ_Yy3Le6WlTIHrwwzDTZkrKbiVx7fQHtPUrJkCD4MJ5o9J2OjYKSaxBWPf-OaxHn11FHirlSrV-3OLV-q-Z6CKXg5g6NBiryN8Rdd-8WaBrIZJA3suHKkQtTlvA6ggYJEZ48F11rp8OCID9pG8cSiUalAY2PM-GvSWdUATvy3qheTJG5w8cfXQCYxA

My exhaust system using a Summit racing 2 1/2 cat back system bolted to a cut up el cheapo 2008/09 Ebay cat utilizing the stock exhaust stub. That stub is priceless and should be acquired when ever making a custom system for a 4200.

y4mzeaFpHGPdtjHhk0DP8RONwtmA4tyfpr7ju9isDzq0RZe-pe0X7_rc7AYpo8Jh2npOf0B6hxCjyRsZZpdnTzJTp5QrFvsWRqkSG-HZyK1f86auZr3m3dRgM2etcZVDTWLoicN1os0V3Fzm2DWTEAG5KaciZrvKeN4UbzUaJMQXv23c9ysLXMEWBqxnzh-DYcrowrKmtTfKOTMhlZxYYKzkg

Still needs a hanger.

y4mQO1raNG_18DF8UywJjqLViwiqW0RePHfXmM4w9qwSobAEBCfH7rPNb4anu4Utz_tDBV9Xnpnfg3j3wu2Z7MpMqSm8iq8iBbet-Qq0M5E5JvNjFKYBhbfGXffPgDL-KuFa0ie-AOObIuN8IcOASGnVj48SNK3CP_yb6WxdeTLvSi-aL30dZmHMffl4PvIsTVPjWOX8aWMHqBD4l8M5MP7uQ

y4m1RNA6J7YXNKMGdZeEK3tt6wdK79mDe4N4oP6D-e35Xu0HbplxG6S0FnfXCOUE9YoSFpM7SOjs-K_ygP7CVbvVkjeFlCzoZ4tTNjEn1MPtGy1xG1-g6UMVzGDSMtQK6SzJWO9yAoYzAvf_oB2yyRBrGo8djxzoyaclrwDi1jx8CtpPIRd7gpA0MKEfW7EqBQn6y-9XXPsee1uWXOXIkDKOQ

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
How those dowels relate to the crank center line is another thing best checked with an indicator.

Just jumping off-topic for a second, as I was ignorant of this until you brought it up. So thanks :smile:

My question - if one is doing a stroker, but using OEM trans - is this something one should plan for?

(no, I'm not currently planning on a LQ4 stroker (408 cubes)...just wondering)

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
The crank center line doesn't change unless the block has been line bored at some point different than factory original. So stroking doesn't change alignment respective of the dowels. Being out can cause cracked flex plates or manual transmissions that shift poorly. The BOP TH400 should be fine if other holes can be created where none exist. I would still indicate to make sure. Special eccentric dowels exist to correct misalignment.

EFI-DIY's Atlas to Chevrolet adapter.

y4mVTUQ9N2rNn7UYi616LbZbyDThNI7xUU6r2RzFCeg5MznY3kfpfmmKb7e6Yr4BHnLa0WnSrs5jynsbefTKCfm-yefIXKyHkjob-DjqQsj30ySaIDSO_NbgwQAXq1UBaoUQaRr_BqIJRoHkd-kgOQp1eXZW4qO-xK3RrfmBRsMpWodd69Zu9ptJNcIap5W2QY8_JKSqOA7AB_jrxc_wbNRoA

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The crank center line doesn't change unless the block has been line bored at some point different than factory original. So stroking doesn't change alignment respective of the dowels.

(hopefully, you find this funny...) I read this, and thought... "man, is this guy a machinist?" Then I checked your profile. LOL

Appreciate the knowledgeable reply :tiphat:

Reactions: cornchip

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
A point on LL8 reliability...
Dealer techs are not a good source, as they only see the bad. Consumer reports provides year-by-year reliability almost every vehicle on the market, going back several years. The LL8 is about to fall of their radar, but when they last rated it, it had better reliability than the V8.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
A point on LL8 reliability...
Dealer techs are not a good source, as they only see the bad. Consumer reports provides year-by-year reliability almost every vehicle on the market, going back several years. The LL8 is about to fall of their radar, but when they last rated it, it had better reliability than the V8.
Truly underappreciated engine, and you probably know better than anyone how good it really is.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This has to be the jankiest build I've ever seen. If it runs, it will probably self destruct in 5 minutes.

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
This has to be the jankiest build I've ever seen. If it runs, it will probably self destruct in 5 minutes.

Agreed. The internet will judge the 4200 on how well this stays together.....janky or not. I believe this car is going drag racing against his buddy driving a 60's Pontiac with a 2JZ. Fanboys are going to eat this up. Don't see it ending well.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Agreed. The internet will judge the 4200 on how well this stays together.....janky or not. I believe this car is going drag racing against his buddy driving a 60's Pontiac with a 2JZ. Fanboys are going to eat this up. Don't see it ending well.
I gotta say, this is one of the most haggared approaches to a 4200 swap & 4200 turbo build I've seen... Now that I've seen his most recent vid. I was excited at first, but he's pretty much setting himself up for failure. I mean, my God, they "eyeballed" the drilled holes for the torque converter bolt locations.

I think the internet, would see the half-assed approach, and not blame the motor, come any issues (and there will be lol). Plenty of other Turbo 4200 videos and builds online. Take the Studabaker Turbo 4200 build. That thing has come along really nice!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So he just updated the build and it's surprisingly holding together. Added a turbo and using an aftermarket PCM called the Microsquirt. He has trouble just getting it started using starting fluid but once it's running, it sure sound and runs strong.

But the whole thing with that TH400 is just janky. Should have went with a 4l60e but would have had to build it to survive behind that kind of power. We shall see how long it holds together.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online