"Violent" cruise control

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Can't think of any other way to describe it.
I've had literally hundreds of GM's over the last 40+ driving years, and my '05 I6 TB is the only one to react like this!

If you're cruising down the highway at say 100kmh, then slow to (any speed above 40k) and hit 'resume' - it essentially pins the throttle to the floor to get back to that speed! I'm all about the acceleration most of the time - but this just isn't a hotrod that needs to! Doesn't matter if it's trying to add 60 or 10kmh - dammit, it wants to get there NOW! :biggrin:

Any ideas?

Reactions: UsernameIsTaken

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Oh, and as this is the only TB I've had - I simply have no frame of reference. But I have to assume this isn't normal.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Both of mine are like that if resuming from a fairly low speed to a higher speed. But I wouldn't call it being pinned. It will downshift to get the acceleration. I kinda like it. Gets me back up to speed fairly quick.

I'm gonna have to try this on my Caprice but this might be a bit wild if it does the same thing with its 400hp 6.0L :biggrin:

Last edited:

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I use my cruise constantly. It won't engage until 3rd or 4 gear.....and when it does it's always smooth and gradual. Evey GM product always seems to be a little different for some reason.

Gunner

Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
My '05 I6 TB does the same. I'm just under 300,000 miles on it, so I'm used to it. I always manually accelerate to within 10 MPH of what my setpoint was, then hit Resume.

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Heh - yeah, I've taken to doing the same of 'manually' running it close to the previous set point then hitting resume.

Well, at least I know it's not a 'just me' thing! And if it's not really a problem, I'm not going to bother trying to fix it. About the only thing I haven't done (and maybe still will) is to hook up and see if there's any firmware updates I can apply.

Thanks all!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just tried with the Caprice and it's more docile than the TB! Hit resume from 40km/h to get back to 100 and it just lazily got up there, not even disengaging the TCC or shifting down. So in a cruise control "drag race", the TB would win.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
From what I remember, my GM 'resume' function would bury the throttle, if the delta between current > desired was sizeable. Really, even a 5-10 mph difference was made up quicker than I'd prefer. From what I remember, my Hondas did this, too.

So... I don't really use 'resume' as a result; I get to the desired speed (which is almost always slower than what I'd set it to, previously), and use the 'set' function again. Not to mention that in my metro area, using cruise is a very rare thing for me, anyway, given the fits and spurts of traffic (when it's moving at all)

I'd have to say... that's one thing I miss, after getting rid of my last Accord... adaptive cruise control. Although that thing had its quirks, too - if someone got in between you and the 'follow' vehicle, it would slow down until it reached the same distance it had been maintaining. But you never had to brake and disengage the CC, which is the thing I hate most about cruise.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just tried it on the Saab with the 5.3 and it was also docile. Maybe it's an inferiority complex on the 4,2 :biggrin:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Just tried it on the Saab with the 5.3 and it was also docile. Maybe it's an inferiority complex on the 4,2 :biggrin:

My 5.3 TB is also very harsh when resuming. I also usually get close to the cruise set point then hit resume.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online