VIN decoder ???

Tux05

Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Northern ontario
Just picked up a 1997 Chevy long box 2 dr with a 350 4wheel drive with a Western plow. When I run the VIN on 2 sites it says it is a 97 short box step side 2 wheel drive V6 these are sure different trucks. The VIN is 1GCEC14W9VZ252320 the V could be a Y but I think it's a V. Could someone run this to see the results thanks. Tux

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Email the VIN to socialmedia@GM.com asking for the build sheet. That would be the only definitive way anymore. All the VIN Decoder web sites have since been turned into pay sites.

Tux05

Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Northern ontario
Thanks for the replies. You may be right with the FRANKY .the vin says it's a 2wd V6 but the RPO codes say it is a 350 the cab may have been changed. Also the breather on top of the TBI is the old style with the one snorkel. Donut style air filter.may try to get the #s of the back of the block. I don't really care about the year just nice for parts

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
From what I could find...

- It's a 'V'
- Lists as what you found (2wd v6)
- The fleetside bed can swap (and if true, that might be why it was; I can imagine a stepside in good condition going for a nice piece of change) Yes, I know you're stating that more than the bed was swapped.

- You may find a VIN on the p/s frame rail, but the bed may have to be (re)moved to see it (it's on the top side, that the bed attaches to) Could try to loosen it on that side and see if you can get a USB cam or mirror in there.

Might be possible to see from Carfax, etc., if it was ever rebuild / salvage title (but costs $$ and doesn't give info on the donor truck(s), which is really what you're looking for, I think)

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
A couple of concerns that I would have:
a) does the VIN on the body match the title.
b) is there another VIN on the frame
c) has the frame been lengthened

It might be interesting to find out the truck history. Then again, you could turn up something that could be a problem. If it’s going to be a parts truck, there shouldn’t be any problems.

Tux05

Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Northern ontario
Thanks again. I am not even putting plates on it it will be used for plowing my drive. The correct year and motor ould be nice for getting parts. I am going to check the #s at the back of the block.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
LS swap... :dielaugh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online