Video: SMA beats dealer

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pulling an @mrrsm here. This one popped up on my suggested videos and Eric O. just absolutely pOwns a dealer that completely misdiagnosed a 2019 Silverado who wanted to charge $3900 when it was in fact a much lower cost repair. Went to SMA to get a second opinion, and rightly so.

Lessons to be learned here:
1. Dealers are idiots (we knew that)
2. Multiple issues at the exact same time are likely a power or ground issue
3. Inspect your ground straps, especially the ones right behind a wheel that will throw salty water onto it
4. New doesn't mean better
5. Dealers are idiots

Since I also own of this generation's trucks, I'll have to keep an eye on mine for this same problem.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Pretty stunning. A $10 cable caused all that.
Seeing that confirms I'll hang onto my 04 as long as I can.
I wonder if the owner went back to the dealer to demand his money back.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would or sue in small claims court if they don't. Would be easy to prove, even using the video as evidence although he could subpoena Eric O. but that would take him away from work but could be compensated by the owner.

Pretty bad for those that are supposed to know your vehicle. :hopeless:

Reactions: Redbeard and Eric04

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Even if we were to toss out dishonesty(dubious), this situation would still show that education does not equate to intelligence. If you only know and follow training you then become a parts monkey slave to data PIDs. Data is extremely helpful as one tool in the box. Too many techs fail to understand this concept and fail to understand how to follow the data to the correct source.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online