Video: How GVWR is determined

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I always just thought that the manufacturers just put numbers on their trucks according to their own testing. Very interesting.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
interesting testing... it would be nice to which "bogey", a trailblazer is closest on exceeding out of the one listed. My guess would be the cooling one and the park brake.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I came across this only a couple of weeks ago, on an RV forum that I frequent -- that was the first time I'd heard of the J2807 standard. While I knew of the categories / requirements from before, it was nice to see the guy doing / explaining the calcs in the video, since I suck at math :frown:

According to an article I found here , the standard was developed starting back in the mid-90's, was finalized / published back in 2008 or so, and (except for Toyota, who started back in 2011) the big three didn't really start certifying to the standard until about 2015 (!)

Until that point, everyone used their own proprietary methods to arrive at the numbers, and when someone came along that beat whatever rating one manufacturer had, the other companies would revise their own tests until they could get their own truck rated higher than the competition's, even if no changes were made to their own truck. Did they test the competitors' trucks against that revised standard? No -- because the 'other guys' truck would still be on top, if they did. :nono:

Anywho...the only thing I don't like about this testing is the one trailer type used -- I wish they'd split out testing into travel trailers & fifth wheels as well, because of the extra aerodynamic drag inherent in those types of trailers. Since new trucks pretty much come with sway control built-in, that portion shouldn't be difficult for any of them, to tell the truth.

(Yeah, I know the RV trailers are lighter -- even the very heaviest 5th wheel toyhaulers are maybe 15K-16K, plus whatever 'toy' they're hauling. And most people are towing maybe 50-70% of that weight (trailer only, no 'toy'))

I'd also like to know how they derive the 'max' figure for bumper tow, vs. in-bed towing -- is it some fixed percentage removed from the certified in-bed / 'over the axle' figure? The published 'max' number is always for the latter (which makes sense; I just want to know how they get the lower number for bumper pulls.)

The other thing is that a 'reserve' is probably built in -- I remember when my DDW had her Honda Element, that it was rated for 25% more tow capability in Australia, than it was in N. America -- and the only difference was the vehicle's location. Such is the price of a litigious society, I suppose.

Outside of that, standardized testing is the way to go, IMHO. I'm glad a standard is in place, even if it doesn't apply to my two 16-year-old trucks. :laugh:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, I wish they would have specified that the standard wasn't adopted until 2015! Sounds kinda misleading in the video that it's been like this for a while. So some of our old iron might have BS ratings (or just a little BS). I don't think it really changes much.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.