Video: Check your oil filters!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This guy regularly opens up oil filters for comparisons and quality checks and I watch his videos on a regular basis. However, this one shows a Bosch filter that was defective and would have potentially restricted oil flow.

So always check your oil filters before installing.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Check your oil filter box contents too, low life types will put an expensive filter in a cheap filter box and you might grab the bogus box. Happened to me once at Wally world... :hissyfit:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Uncle Tony straightens us out on oil filters...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think he's mistaken about that spring. The bypass at the bottom of the filter would open way before the oil pressure could even start pushing on that spring. All that spring does is keep the filter media pressed up against the top plate and anti drainback valve. He is correct that oil at COLD startup would bypass the filter but only because it's too thick to pass through the media.

Reactions: northcreek

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
The bypass at the bottom of the filter would open way before the oil pressure could even start pushing on that spring.
Good point ! ...and thinking about it after your post, the oil has no way to push the filter against the spring anyway because the pressure is on the outside of the media.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's another one but a Purolator this time.

pell

Jun 5, 2017
Pelham, NH
That's just scary, Wix in my brand of choice with Bosch a my backup. Never thought to look in there. Just like everything else these days we are quality control and the test dummies'.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.